Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Now that is the correct use of "bigot".

Yes, unfortunately the world is full of idiots that will hate any kinds of people for various reasons. You say it's the first time in your life, so luckily it's not actually a problem that you have to deal with in your life. Once every 18 years, you can ignore that.

You're not going to reason with people like that. Ignore it and live your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Omgodzilla View Post
    I've gone 18 years without experiencing something like this.
    Well, best to make a thread about it and don a persecution complex immediately. You wouldn't want to shrug it off as an asshole being an asshole and go on with your day. I'm glad that as a white guy, I never have to deal with anyone being an asshole to me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    What is there to differentiate between a Muslim and a non-Muslim when it comes to bigotry? Is it justified if you were a Muslim?
    Opposing ideological belief isn't bigotry in any manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Blomma View Post
    Opposing is not, disliking them just because they believe is.

I find it quite hilarious that OP expects not to be subjected to any sort of bigotry because he's not Muslim.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2015-12-04 at 11:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthas242 View Post
    yes i do genngreymane!

also when do i get to play you as a hero in HotS?
    I have no idea

and heres the popcorn *gives popcorn*

Deleted
    Opposing is not, disliking them just because they believe is.
    No, it isn't. By your definition one shouldn't dislike nazis, only nazism.

If the only difference in the OP's story was that he was a muslim it would be a completely different situation?

Honestly, I say the same thing when the crazies were saying Obama is a muslim, why would it even matter?

No, it isn't. By your definition one shouldn't dislike nazis, only nazism.
    Are you comparing Islam (or any religion) with Nazism? Girl, go read some philosophy of religion and enlighten yourself.

Deleted
    Are you comparing Islam with Nazism? Girl, go read some philosophy of religion and enlighten yourself.
    No, I'm comparing ideology to ideology and the followers of that ideology to followers of another ideology. I just choose another ideology that's disliked as an example. Same would apply to communists, or for that matter, any other ideology.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Well, best to make a thread about it and don a persecution complex immediately. You wouldn't want to shrug it off as an asshole being an asshole and go on with your day. I'm glad that as a white guy, I never have to deal with anyone being an asshole to me.
    Tell that to the Sikh people who've been attacked and in some cases, murdered because some "assholes" were too stupid to differentiate them from muslims.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1751841.html

Are you comparing Islam with Nazism? Girl, go read some philosophy of religion and enlighten yourself.
    the point is that disliking someone for holding a view is reasonable if the view is disgusting enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Omgodzilla View Post
    Tell that to the Sikh people who've been attacked and in some cases, murdered because some "assholes" were too stupid to differentiate them from muslims.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1751841.html
    I'm pretty sure the problem there is the murdering, not the inability to tell people apart. I really have no idea what your point is - what, would it be all fine and dandy to gun down innocent people if only he'd correctly identified them first?

No, I'm comparing ideology to ideology and the followers of that ideology to followers of another ideology. I just choose another ideology that's disliked as an example. Same would apply to communists, or for that matter, any other ideology.
    You can not compare apples with oranges. Religion is naturally converged phenomenon. Nazism is an ideology constructed due to material as well as social needs of the era.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should have screamed "ALLAHU AKBAR!!" as loud as you could just to piss him off more. But unfortunately the quit bigots would tackle you then. :/

I imagine it's quite unsettling to meet someone as bigoted as that in Canada but sadly that's the norm down here. I go to work everyday with them, see them in Walmart, use to hear them on the radio(haven't listened to the radio since I can now play my IPod through it), etc. These people have their head so far up their asses they don't even know what sunlight is. To try and explain cultural diversity to them is about like teaching them evolution. >.>

Deleted
    You can not compare apples with oranges. Religion is naturally converged phenomenon. Nazism is an ideology constructed due to material as well as social needs of the era.
    Religion is constructed by humans as well. Shouldn't be immune to dislike of it's followers or the ideology if you don't like the ideology because it stands in opposition to your values.

ideology
    [ahy-dee-ol-uh-jee, id-ee-]
    noun, plural ideologies.
    the body of doctrine, myth, belief, etc., that guides an individual, social movement, institution, class, or large group.

Religions are ideologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Religion is constructed by humans as well. Shouldn't be immune to dislike of it's followers or the ideology if you don't like the ideology because it stands in opposition to your values.
    No, it's not constructed. It is what people converged after thinking quite for a while. People needed religion, and someone supplied it. The need is not human construct. For this reason, it's much more deeper, complex and much more gray than any sort of political movement. Many religions involve reward/punishment system. This alone is enough for proving a faulty comparison.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    ideology
    [ahy-dee-ol-uh-jee, id-ee-]
    noun, plural ideologies.
    the body of doctrine, myth, belief, etc., that guides an individual, social movement, institution, class, or large group.

Religions are ideologies.
    Reduction is not an argument. It's a method.

Deleted
    No, it's not constructed.
    Yes, it is. Man-made.

No, it's not constructed. It is what people converged after thinking quite for a while. People needed religion, and someone supplied it. The need is not human construct. For this reason, it's much more deeper, complex and much more gray than any sort of political movement. Many religions involve reward/punishment system. This alone is enough for proving a faulty comparison.
    Religion isn't what people needed. You need to study some evolutionary psychology. It's why we have cliques that aren't religious. Study some human behavior and you'll see that it's the appeal to be part of a group and not the appeal to worship a god.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Religion isn't what people needed. You need to study some evolutionary psychology. It's why we have cliques that aren't religious. Study some human behavior and you'll see that it's the appeal to be part of a group and not the appeal to worship a god.
    You can not explain the need for believing the existence of a "higher" being with the need of being part of a group. Throwing "study" quite a lot is not going to help you when the field is a half-scientific. Let me remind you that, psychology is a field good at observing human behavior patterns but is not that scientific when it comes to explaining why.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2015-12-04 at 11:44 PM.