Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Can Lab-Grown Super Corals Save the Ocean?

A group of researchers on Hawaii are selectively breeding corals that are the best at surviving in warmer and more acidic waters. There goal is to breed coral capable of largely withstanding the effects of warmer waters and pollutants of humans such as sunscreen, lotion, trash, etc.
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2015-12-05 at 04:24 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    As long as it doesn't turn out like the "Asian Beetle" thing. Seriously. Billions of these things flying around makes me want to throat punch the people who brought them here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    As long as it doesn't turn out like the "Asian Beetle" thing. Seriously. Billions of these things flying around makes me want to throat punch the people who brought them here.
    Well these are native coral being bred to be stronger and more resistant to a changing world

Deleted
    2075 Global naval travel comes to an halt due to widespread coral infection.

12. Mai 2075 Russian Nuclear powered icebreakers are being now repurposed to clear tradestreets and drop the
    price for international maritime Travel by an estimated 200% in the next decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    2075 Global naval travel comes to an halt due to widespread coral infection.

12. Mai 2075 Russian Nuclear powered icebreakers are being now repurposed to clear tradestreets and drop the
    price for international maritime Travel by an estimated 200% in the next decade.
    Coral takes hundreds to thousands of years to significantly grow into monstrous coral reefs if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Coral takes hundreds to thousands of years to significantly grow into monstrous coral reefs if I remember correctly.
    But these are super corals!

10+ Year Old Account
    but the real question is how are we going to replenish our supply of squid and mussels?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

I hear adding new organisms to an environment - especially with the intent to replace currently existing ones - always goes well and never backfires.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

So genetically modified corals?, what could possibly go wrong?. It will probably turn into a giant coral block 7 miles deep and 10,000 miles across.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolretadin View Post
    I hear adding new organisms to an environment - especially with the intent to replace currently existing ones - always goes well and never backfires.
    Watch the video. They're just trying to selectively breed native coral to be resistant to heating waters and pollution.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    but the real question is how are we going to replenish our supply of squid and mussels?
    Coral Reefs are ecosystems that support many species we eat like the two you mentioned and so many more, which is why they are so important.

Of course they can. And when they are done saving the oceans they will become self aware and realize what the real threat was in the first place. And then eliminate that.

Sounds like the beginning of another Kudzu incident.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudzu_..._United_States

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Sounds like the beginning of another Kudzu incident.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudzu_..._United_States
    Why are people comparing invasive species with breeding coral to be more resistant to human waste?

Deleted
    Why are people comparing invasive species with breeding coral to be more resistant to human waste?
    You think they had no perfectly reasonable sounding rational to introduce said invasive species?

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    You think they had no perfectly reasonable sounding rational to introduce said invasive species?
    What invasive species? The coral are the same species as the ones taken out of the said enviroment they're reintroducing the coral to, just with arguably better genes to resist human pollutants.

Deleted
    Why are people pretending like they aren't even remotely similar cases?

What invasive species? The coral are the same species as the ones taken out of the said enviroment they're reintroducing the coral to, just with arguably better genes to resist human pollutants.
    It stops being the same identical species once you tamper with it. That's the point.

Deleted
    I hope you are fine with purchasing the Russian icebreakers to deal with the problem you created-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    So genetically modified corals?, what could possibly go wrong?. It will probably turn into a giant coral block 7 miles deep and 10,000 miles across.
    That would be something exciting for a change.

I have some more questions for you.

Does the ocean even need saving? Is there hard evidence that nature cannot adapt to the situation over the course of several hundreds of years? And, bearing in mind that it was human meddling that polluted oceans in the first place, how likely is it that more meddling will lead to fully positive results?
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kao View Post
    I have some more questions for you.

Does the ocean even need saving? Is there hard evidence that nature cannot adapt to the situation over the course of several hundreds of years? And, bearing in mind that it was human meddling that polluted oceans in the first place, how likely is it that more meddling will lead to fully positive results?
    Nature has its way of sorting itself out, the question is if we've got the time to wait until that happens before the pollution of the world's oceans becomes severe enough to have catastrophic consequences for us humans.

I'd wager the answer to that is "probably not", but I don't know enough about the topic at hand to give you a reliable answer on that.