GTA5 Randomly Crashing On 970 GTX

Ill start with specs.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit (legit version)
    Intel Core i7 920 (OC stable from 2.6 to 3.6 ghz)
    8 GB DDR3 Memory
    240 GB Sandisk SSD
    Nvidia EVGA 970 GTX 4GB (359.06 - Dec 1st 2015)
    500 Watt PSU

I can play any other game just fine all on high settings.

I purchased GTA5 on Steam the other day when it was on sale for $36.

I am able to play the game on max settings... sometimes. The game will randomly crash either 2 minutes in... 20 minutes in or 2 hours in. Just whenever it feels like. The response I get is "This application has stopped working". Black screen with the message box.

If I start in the gta5 safe mode where everything is turned all the way down including resolution on the game, then turn resolution to 1920x1080, the game will work again. Or I can turn everything to normal and some features off and it seems to work okay... Why is it I can't max it out like how I have been and been getting 60 fps but get random crashes?

Hoping this is a GTA5 issue that a patch can fix...

Update

Apparently, I am not alone in this. There are a lot of people experiencing the same issue. Rockstar needs to release a patch to fix performance issues with hardware.
    Last edited by Holyshnikies; 2015-12-08 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Update

10+ Year Old Account
    GTA V maxed is very demanding, a 970 can't do it.

I've got a 970 myself, when I played GTA V I stuck to high settings. Max was just way too demanding and I don't like seeing my GPU work overtime.

Their settings give you a guide for how much VRAM (I think it's that) you are using, keep that in the green.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2015-12-05 at 04:17 PM.

Deleted
    You have to change the settings

GTX 970 can't do 4 GB properly, 3.5 GB is the max to keep it stable but it's always a good idea to have it slightly lower

so just take the settings down a notch and keep the vram somewhere around 3 GB

Deleted
    You're running out of memory.

I'm playing GTA5 on a GTX 960 and I NEVER crash. Yes, not every setting is on max, but most are.

I suggest you lower some graphical settings so that your game won't use as much memory.

Besides not having enough memory, I'm honestly thinking he/she also has an issue with the psu. Seems to me 500 watts might be slightly on the low side. I'm running the same card and same cpu, but with 12gbs of ram and a 1000 watt psu(Yes I know its overkill), with everything on max, I've yet to have an issue.

Get your VRAM usage in the settings down to 2.8-3GB(it will go over what the settings say at times so do not max it out) and see if it still crashes. If it does, then the problem is not running out of memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    Besides not having enough memory, I'm honestly thinking he/she also has an issue with the psu. Seems to me 500 watts might be slightly on the low side. I'm running the same card and same cpu, but with 12gbs of ram and a 1000 watt psu(Yes I know its overkill), with everything on max, I've yet to have an issue.
    i dont think so, 970 doesnt really need a powerful PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkie View Post
    i dont think so, 970 doesnt really need a powerful PSU.
    I guess it depends on the manufacturer, I have a Gigabyte GTX 970 G1, the listed minimum psu is 550 watts.

Deleted
    this is prob also an issue

500 is too small
    batteries don't last forever and they go down in quality over time
    and in a few years it might only be able to output 450

I guess it depends on the manufacturer, I have a Gigabyte GTX 970 G1, the listed minimum psu is 550 watts.
    I7-6700k @4.8 GHz
    GTX 970 G1 Gaming +150MHZ baseclock +200MHz Memclock +69mV Overvoltage

max powerdraw ~380 Watts

theory debunked.

Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    I7-6700k @4.8 GHz
    GTX 970 G1 Gaming +150MHZ baseclock +200MHz Memclock +69mV Overvoltage

max powerdraw ~380 Watts

theory debunked.
    Hmm I just went back and ran the game while monitoring the power output, it appears you are correct, I was at a steady 27%, which is only 270 watts.