Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    well the feds pretty much guaranteed to raise rates later this month so there's that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Um...

interest rates were cut by Alan Greenspan (appointed by Reagan) and Ben Bernanke (appointed by George W Bush). The last interest rate cut was in 2009. Janet Yellen (appointed by Obama) has not cut interest rates.

Just saying.

Also interest rates are a tool to control inflation / stimulate the economy. They're not an indicator. Your entire point is akin to saying "He's still sick because he still has an IV in him".

Okay to the several people who explained everything I didn't ask, thanks, but no thanks. I wanted to understand why the person mentioned Greece, not the US. The person I quoted mentioned Greece, and the problems there are far from mere mass consumption issues. If I wanted to ask about the US, I would not ask about Greece. Thanks.

I find people more often then not simply parrot what they are told from the media and their own social circles and when challenged simply add emotional rhetoric rather then facts.

My advice is to just sit back and enjoy the toboggan ride. This decade looks like its going to be a exciting one.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalm View Post
    Buying a Car? If so, those are essentially lies to get you into the Dealership. Almost no one actually qualifies for those 0% rates and those that do qualify usually can pay Cash on the vehicle (in full).
    The qualifier for those is usually not very high. They generally require a credit score of ~720, if I recall correctly. You don't need to be particularly wealthy to pay your bills on time and have a high credit score.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalm View Post
    Interest in a Savings account? Yeah...for as long as I can remember it has always been near 0% APR
    You do not have a long memory. CDs used to have actual yields:

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Also interest rates are a tool to control inflation / stimulate the economy. They're not an indicator. Your entire point is akin to saying "He's still sick because he still has an IV in him".
    I think it's a plausible inference for someone to say, "well, I'm guessing that guy's still sick, or else the docs would take the IV out".

Possibly stretching the analogy a bit too far though.