got GTX780 - better to wait or upgrade now?

hi all - I've been thinking: I have a GTX780 which is running rather well on ultra or close to ultra on the games I play. I have been thinking for a while about upgrading to GTX970 (gtx980 is a bit to pricey for my taste). However I recently read about nvidia's plans for 2016 and launching their Pascal line.

now I bought my 780 few months before 9xx line came out and I've been kicking myself since as if I waited I'd have newer gear for almost same price.

with 2016 and pascal - is it better for me to just get 970 (or if you think, save up and get 980) or wait and get the pascal card? I have no info about their pricing plans or any release date though.

what's your opinion?

I got a 780 and I'm holding out for pascal, if you are gaming on 1080p it should be good enough to last until pascal comes out, 980 btw is a waste of money, the price difference is too big for the performance difference with the 970, if you need better then 970 go for 980Ti (or an AMD equivalent if you like your new GPU to be better DX12 compatible.)

I'd wait. You won't be getting your money's worth upgrading to a 970. Waiting will (likely) get you a much better card for the same price.

I'm willing to bet you don't have a lot of issues playing games on ultra now, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Goondicker View Post
    I'd wait. You won't be getting your money's worth upgrading to a 970. Waiting will (likely) get you a much better card for the same price.

I'm willing to bet you don't have a lot of issues playing games on ultra now, anyway.
    that is true - outside of the newest assassin's creed all is working fine.
    question - is it safe to assume that the pascal will be in the same price range as 970-980?

Deleted
    A gtx970 is not really an upgrade over 780, they are almost the same within a few fps depending on game, it would be a waste of money.

Deleted
    Ask yourself a question: "Is my current graphic card doing all I want it to do?" (hint: yes it does).
    if the answer is yes then buying new one would be plain waste of money.

Had I have an 780 I'd prolly not upgrade till generation after pascal(either nvidia or amd), maybe earlier only if I decided to move to higher resolution.
    Last edited by mmoc9ef35a8a9e; 2015-12-06 at 08:55 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, seriously. Jumping only one generation is rarely advised, especially if you'd also be going down a tier. The Pascal line is probably going to be a pretty serious improvement over the 900 series, so if you want to see a major performance improvement, the Pascal *80 would be something to wait for, or possibly even the Pascal *70 - which I am doing also, being on only a 760. How do you think I feel? I'm running a 3440x1440 monitor and believe me, a better GPU would run this thing much better lol. What resolution are you playing games at, anyways?

If the 970 is what you'd be happier paying for, I'd wait.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1493?vs=1595

For $300-400 you barely get 10% improvement - NOT worth it. Stick with the 780.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hlx View Post
    that is true - outside of the newest assassin's creed all is working fine.
    question - is it safe to assume that the pascal will be in the same price range as 970-980?
    NVidia has been fairly good about keeping prices consistent on their higher end cards for several years now.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

780 to 970 is a waste. If you are gonna upgrade from 780, get a higher end card. I would wait, though.

If you play mostly WoW, GPU doesn't even matter that much, 780 is more than capable.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    What resolution are you playing games at, anyways?
    I play on 1920x1200
    don't really plan on getting a bigger screen, however it seems like low ram on my 780 is the bottleneck here - on games like fallout4, or assassin's creed syndicate I had to go down a notch with the settings - witcher 3 also had some irritating stuttering.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by apoe View Post
    If you play mostly WoW, GPU doesn't even matter that much, 780 is more than capable.
    I perhaps should have mentioned it - while I do play WoW, obviously current setup is enough, looking to upgrade for the current and future AAA titles.

Deleted
    Wait for Pascal.

Quote Originally Posted by EVGAFAVOR View Post
    Wait for Pascal.
    yeah, I get the hint by now

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Quote Originally Posted by hlx View Post
    yeah, I get the hint by now
    Found this just now if you want to give it a quick read
    http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-gpu-gtc-2015/
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.