Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Well hey, if you gave the Federal government more residual powers to audit city governments it would be less of an issue.
    Haha ...yeaaaa ...because there's no corruption at the federal level.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Haha ...yeaaaa ...because there's no corruption at the federal level.
    Markedly less than at the state and local level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    Would you rather them just do what happened in...what was it Detroit?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Lol. I always wondered why Republicans didn't make a bigger deal of the fact that Obama came out of Chicago, a city notorious for its corruption.
    Most likely because he never served political office in Chicago. He was a state senator from the Chicago area, but wasn't involved in actual Chicago government.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Would you rather them just do what happened in...what was it Detroit?
    Wasn't Detroit practically bankrupt last year, and is now sitting on a surplus? I mean, they still have a ton of debt, pensions being a huge amount they owe. But I mean, not all bad is it?

Four of the last 7 Illinois' governors were convicted and imprisoned. That says a lot about the level of corruption in that state.

Mind giving us some insight into why he ought to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    Most likely because he never served political office in Chicago. He was a state senator from the Chicago area, but wasn't involved in actual Chicago government.
    That's a good point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Markedly less than at the state and local level.
    You think an entire party is corrupted and you say the feds are less corrupt?

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    You think an entire party is corrupted and you say the feds are less corrupt?
    He obviously hasn't watched actual reporting and news outside cable network hacks. The whole Snowden fiasco highlights how whistleblowers are threatened into silence by the federal government by tactics of prosecution used as bullying, since the federal government knows they can run their opponents dry on money just on legal defense costs even if they end up not getting a conviction.

The federal government in fact has even greater potential for corruption given the magnitude of power involved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucrece View Post
    He obviously hasn't watched actual reporting and news outside cable network hacks. The whole Snowden fiasco highlights how whistleblowers are threatened into silence by the federal government by tactics of prosecution used as bullying, since the federal government knows they can run their opponents dry on money just on legal defense costs even if they end up not getting a conviction.

The federal government in fact has even greater potential for corruption given the magnitude of power involved.
    The feds are definitely corrupt, but Snowden is also definitely a traitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Hillary came from the same place also.
    So, are we establishing here that Democrats do have a connection to the Mafia after all?

- - - Updated - - -

Kinda amazes me how you're a country that will discuss civil war as an option if the 2nd amendment is in jeopardy, but call Snowden a traitor who's done what he did for the constitutional rights of your people and the only one he betrayed is a gouvernment agency stomping on the constitution.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

With that wording, let's agree to disagree. Let's just say I'm surprised that some people fall so squarely on the side of authoritarianism when it involves the military or government.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not really sure what the Mayor of Chicago has to do with the incident in question. The officer has been charged with murder. What's the issue?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I'm not really sure what the Mayor of Chicago has to do with the incident in question. The officer has been charged with murder. What's the issue?
    A BLM rep was on CNN talking about how the mayor must resign because he "handpicks" people who interact with their community and he can't be trusted...or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, despite Chicago's reputation for corruption, their city government has done some really remarkable things, like this:

And this:

And this:

And their underground freeways:

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It would be nice to see this scumbag literally go down. He has needed a downsizing for a very long time. One of Obama's henchmen finally getting their dues from the people that trusted them and vote for them. Maybe there is some sort of twisted karma to come from these BLM people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Apexis View Post
    It would be nice to see this scumbag literally go down. He has needed a downsizing for a very long time. One of Obama's henchmen finally getting their dues from the people that trusted them and vote for them. Maybe there is some sort of twisted karma to come from these BLM people.
    Henchmen? Really?

I don't deny he has henchmen:

But these are his henchmen, not some dude who used to work for him that now runs the city government of Chicago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Lol. I always wondered why Republicans didn't make a bigger deal of the fact that Obama came out of Chicago, a city notorious for its corruption.
    Because they were too busy saying he came out of Kenya?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    Protests won't do shit. Violence isn't the answer either.
    I think that you're right, but given that peaceful change through our (heavily managed, if not outright rigged in the case of Chicago) "democracy" is vanishingly unlikely the only option left is to exercise the pedal veto, which is damned hard for a lot of people for a whole variety of reasons. Still, leaving, tough as it is, is a better option that waiting for the random hand of chaos that is violent upheaval.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)