Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

How could they move us away from Pandaren?

Our class currently is intangled to pandaren. How, if possible do you think they could expand our classes culture? No other classes are so tightly tied to one race as ours is. Could this be changed? Why not make monk pandaren only like they're making Demon Hunters Elves only?

I'm okay with it, I make my own character story regardless. But its just something to discuss
    Last edited by Therris; 2015-12-13 at 05:19 PM.
    There is no good without evil, but evil must not be allowed to flourish
    I will do what I must to keep the balance!

Horde:Driefal-Cravius-Ristir-RonedSenthes

7+ Year Old Account
    would like to see pandaren demon hunters
    even so it woud be completly stupid and will porbably never gonna happen

I think the easiest and best way would be to introduce one or two lore characters that are monks from other races.

Not major lore characters, but, you know, someone like Yrel or a memorable quest giver. For example, I think most people still remember Fiona the Worgen and some of her comrads, or that feisty Dwarf Shaman in Deepholme who threw that oger from her eagle.

For example, in Legion you could have a Gnome Monk as a quest giver who explains why she took up Monk training, how she loves that it's so complicated and intellectually intriguing.
    Or a Tauren Monk, who explains that the teachings about harmony really speak to him, and how he connects them back to the Earth Mother and believes that the Pandaren were ultimately inspired by her.

Quote Originally Posted by Awbee View Post
    I think the easiest and best way would be to introduce one or two lore characters that are monks from other races.

Not major lore characters, but, you know, someone like Yrel or a memorable quest giver. For example, I think most people still remember Fiona the Worgen and some of her comrads, or that feisty Dwarf Shaman in Deepholme who threw that oger from her eagle.

For example, in Legion you could have a Gnome Monk as a quest giver who explains why she took up Monk training, how she loves that it's so complicated and intellectually intriguing.
    Or a Tauren Monk, who explains that the teachings about harmony really speak to him, and how he connects them back to the Earth Mother and believes that the Pandaren were ultimately inspired by her.
    This strikes me as the best way to handle it.

I think that with the monks, the appeal is that they have this pandaren way of life that has intrigued and inspired pretty much every race on Azeroth. If Blizzard played off that and showed how each race was receptive to those teachings, I'd be really happy with something like that. Their own, relative perspectives on a unified subject.

Deleted
    One or two more lore characters, and also an integration into the existing lore would be great. For example, kvaldir had mistweavers - but not in the traditional sense. The celestials could technically have druid forms also

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Why not? because every other race that is a monk now gets a forced race change? Can't you see the outrage?
    No not like if, they were going to make it so intangled into pandaren why not keep it just for them?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Awbee View Post

I loved your idea, and its exactly what they should do...but from the looks of it all the non-pandaren NPC monks that were in the the training grounds before are gone, or hold no importance other then standing there

Deleted
    It makes sense that they are entangled tho since the Pandaren brought the "monkism" that we practice to Azeroth?

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard could introduce a new Monk faction or have a few faction hubs based on existing lore figures. Who taught the Scarlet Monestary Monks? There were Dranaie Monks in Outland etc. Maybe these monks all banded together or ventured to the Wandering Isle? There are possibilities.

I'd make a brand new lore figure and leader for each races with their own temple or hide out. Transmog options based on what temple you're affiliated with as well as Transmog for statues and summons.
    Last edited by Bosen; 2015-12-13 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uzume View Post
    It makes sense that they are entangled tho since the Pandaren brought the "monkism" that we practice to Azeroth?
    Of course, and I'm fine with that, though there's no reason the other races still can't have a bit of flavor so its not just Pandaren stuff everywhere. I would have loved if the class hall, while having an overall Pandaren theme, could have also had sub-areas for each race, with their own decorations and NPCs that give their insight on their monk learnings.

If they added new lore npcs it'd work. There's plenty of room to do that in their class hall so it could still happen.

I'm so over all the panda hate on these forums. It's weird. The whole class was created from pandaria so it'll be hard to move away from panda themes too much. So you can't expect them to ignore panda lore completely.
    It's also only been out for 2 expansions, and WOD has very little to do with monks, so there's been no time to develop the lore further. It'll happen more in legion for sure. But the monk class will forever rooted in pandaria lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, if you did the quests every 10 levels you 'learned' how to use your techniques from the masters on the Peak of Serenity. Not all of these were pandaren. I hope to see more of them come Legion.

Edit: Took the time to look them up.
    Level 20 - Master Cheng, Pandaren
    Level 30 - Master Woo, Dwarf
    Level 40 - Master Kistane, Pandaren
    Level 50 - Master Yoon, Gnome
    Level 60 - Master Cheng, Blood Elf
    Level 70 - Master Tsang, Pandaren
    Level 80 - Master Hsu, Tauren
    Level 90 - Master Hight, Pandaren
    Last edited by Detheavn; 2015-12-14 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Added the various masters

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Detheavn View Post
    To be fair, if you did the quests every 10 levels you 'learned' how to use your techniques from the masters on the Peak of Serenity. Not all of these were pandaren. I hope to see more of them come Legion.

Edit: Took the time to look them up.
    Level 20 - Master Cheng, Pandaren
    Level 30 - Master Woo, Dwarf
    Level 40 - Master Kistane, Pandaren
    Level 50 - Master Yoon, Gnome
    Level 60 - Master Cheng, Blood Elf
    Level 70 - Master Tsang, Pandaren
    Level 80 - Master Hsu, Tauren
    Level 90 - Master Hight, Pandaren
    I mentioned that they're either dead or furniture pieces come Legion. But we are talking more the vein of characters in the world, that our are class that our unique and such and add something. Like how Grom is for Warriors, or the Shaman in Deepholm like someone else said

15+ Year Old Account
    Because it's their game.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzume View Post
    Yes, but this is about branching out.
    And Monkism is different for every culture really, my thing is.There are many different types of monks in the real world, and before MoP many different monks around Azeroth that you can see and fight.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticViolence View Post
    Blizzard could introduce a new Monk faction or have a few faction hubs based on existing lore figures. Who taught the Scarlet Monestary Monks? There were Dranaie Monks in Outland etc. Maybe these monks all banded together or ventured to the Wandering Isle? There are possibilities.

I'd make a brand new lore figure and leader for each races with their own temple or hide out. Transmog options based on what temple you're affiliated with as well as Transmog for statues and summons.
    I like your ideas, and that is exactly what I'm talking. There were monks all over before MoP. Who taught them? You know what they did? Said a "wandering pandaren did it" smh

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yopparai View Post
    If they added new lore npcs it'd work. There's plenty of room to do that in their class hall so it could still happen.

I'm so over all the panda hate on these forums. It's weird. The whole class was created from pandaria so it'll be hard to move away from panda themes too much. So you can't expect them to ignore panda lore completely.
    It's also only been out for 2 expansions, and WOD has very little to do with monks, so there's been no time to develop the lore further. It'll happen more in legion for sure. But the monk class will forever rooted in pandaria lore.
    I'm nor anyone else is hating Pandaren, I'm just saying branch out the class mythos..extend it,Hell I made a thread about how they could've made our class hall better featuring Pandaren, and Pandaria.Monkhood isn't a thing that one person can teach.Its a following, a oath, a order.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bethrezen View Post
    Because it's their game.
    Panda's run WoW????

Quote Originally Posted by Therris View Post
    Our class currently is intangled to pandaren. How, if possible do you think they could expand our classes culture? No other classes are so tightly tied to one race as ours is. Could this be changed? Why not make monk pandaren only like they're making Demon Hunters Elves only?

I'm okay with it, I make my own character story regardless. But its just something to discuss
    Honestly? i really just want a glyph option to change our auto attack and stance to our races base stance and animations, its entirely optional and would allow me to completely disassociate myself from pandas, Female undead unarmed animations are SICK! and thats exactly what i want.

The monk class pisses me the hell off with how deeply tied in it is with pandaren, like no other class has had monks, there are human monks, which means undead monks, there are draeni monks etc. Id be much happier if each races monk class tied in more with their own culture. I really dont give a shit about the celestials, if im a troll i have my own loa, why worship someone elses? and also the 'jade' this and that is really tiresome, that is the kind of shit that specifically ties it into a single race. It would be like a priests heal being names blessing of elune or shaman spells being named orc bolt and chained orc lightning and lava orc burst

Warriors are a good example of how to do it right, a warrior can be role played as either a knight, a berserker, a samurai or whatever you want it to be, a monk on the other hand is always a pandaren trained weeaboo. Seriously, their healing spec specifies that you use 'pandaren' medicine, like no other race has any medicine? ughghgh its just so unbelievably lame.

In fact, the deep ties to pandaren is by far the most significant reason that i have never made a monk, even though i have every class but monk and hunter to level cap, with 2 boosts to use, i dont even want to use one on a monk. If the pandaren saturation was removed id be straight in there!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    Honestly? i really just want a glyph option to change our auto attack and stance to our races base stance and animations, its entirely optional and would allow me to completely disassociate myself from pandas, Female undead unarmed animations are SICK! and thats exactly what i want.

The monk class pisses me the hell off with how deeply tied in it is with pandaren, like no other class has had monks, there are human monks, which means undead monks, there are draeni monks etc. Id be much happier if each races monk class tied in more with their own culture. I really dont give a shit about the celestials, if im a troll i have my own loa, why worship someone elses? and also the 'jade' this and that is really tiresome, that is the kind of shit that specifically ties it into a single race. It would be like a priests heal being names blessing of elune or shaman spells being named orc bolt and chained orc lightning and lava orc burst

Warriors are a good example of how to do it right, a warrior can be role played as either a knight, a berserker, a samurai or whatever you want it to be, a monk on the other hand is always a pandaren trained weeaboo. Seriously, their healing spec specifies that you use 'pandaren' medicine, like no other race has any medicine? ughghgh its just so unbelievably lame.

In fact, the deep ties to pandaren is by far the most significant reason that i have never made a monk, even though i have every class but monk and hunter to level cap, with 2 boosts to use, i dont even want to use one on a monk. If the pandaren saturation was removed id be straight in there!
    I feel your burden, I actually changed (some) ability icons and made up my own backstory for my monk to distance myself away from what the game tries and dictates me as

Sorry therris, I wasn't trying to have a go at you specifically. Your post seems constructive. I was more referring to posts like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post

I don't see how calling a skill "jade something" is the same as calling a skill "Elune something. Elune is a diety, jade is a colour or a stone.
    I don't understand the constant complaints about tooltip descriptions either. Does it really matter if it says 'pandaren medicine' or "put a bandaid on it"?
    There have been many posts talking about the scarlet monks and their relationship to panda monks. The current consensus is that they are not related. They were either inspired by pandaren monk rumours or were their own unrelated order. So referencing them is not really relevant.
    I do understand the need for class diversity and wanting an npc of your race to represent you. My main is a Draenei shaman and a lot seems Orc related. (Doomhammer/wolves) but there's no point in trashing a race because the class was designed around them.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sorry therris, I wasn't trying to have a go at you specifically. Your post seems constructive. I was more referring to posts like this:

I don't see how calling a skill "jade something" is the same as calling a skill "Elaine skmething. Elune is a diety, jade is a colour or a stone.
    I don't understand the constant complaints about tooltip descriptions either. Does it really matter if it says 'pandaren medicine' or "put a bandaid on it"?
    There have been many posts talking about the scarlet monks and their relationship to panda monks. The current consensus is that they are not related. They were either inspired by pandaren monk rumours or were their own unrelated order. So referencing them is not really relevant.
    I do understand the need for class diversity and wanting an npc of your race to represent you. My main is a Draenei shaman and a lot seems Orc related. (Doomhammer anyone?) but there's no point in trashing a race because the class was designed around them.
    Ummm dude, the leader of the Earthern Ring, Arguably the second power-fullest shaman on Azeroth is Draenei....? lol
    NVM apparently he is second in command next to fucking Thrall now...son of a bitch Metzen...stop!

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Nobundo

Shamanism embodies alot of the races though, way more then monk does. Monk is basically
    Game:"...your no longer the race you chose, your a panda"
    Me:"But I'm a blood elf"
    Game:"Did you choose Monk?"
    Me:"Yes...."
    Game:"Your a panda now"
    Me:"but--"
    Game:"YOUR A PANDA"
    Last edited by Therris; 2015-12-14 at 02:41 AM.

I don't see how calling a skill "jade something" is the same as calling a skill "Elune something. Elune is a diety, jade is a colour or a stone.
    I do understand the need for class diversity and wanting an npc of your race to represent you. My main is a Draenei shaman and a lot seems Orc related. (Doomhammer/wolves) but there's no point in trashing a race because the class was designed around them.
    Jade is tied to pandaren pretty heavily, besides its more that the ability names sound like they were poorly translated from chinese.
    Also it does mean alot, it may be small to you, but i find it hard getting invested into a class that is so heavily tied to a race i hate.

They could do what they did for other classes with representing a talent or passive with a lore characters name, thats fine, like threat of thassarian, they are innocent nods to prominent lore figures.

Classes, especially base ones, should be left mostly up to interpretation, monks are entirely interpreted for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Therris View Post
    I feel your burden, I actually changed (some) ability icons and made up my own backstory for my monk to distance myself away from what the game tries and dictates me as
    Yea i tried that with an undead monk, was thinking of a risen scarlet monk, but then the stance is all chinesey, and then you summon statues and shit of pandaren dieties -_-

just became too hard

7+ Year Old Account
    Yea i tried that with an undead monk, was thinking of a risen scarlet monk, but then the stance is all chinesey, and then you summon statues and shit of pandaren dieties -_-

just became too hard
    I just had a hard time remembering what was actually what while looking at my bars. Go Wind-Walker, its fairly easy that way. I just say Xuen is the spirit of a animal my monk put out of its misery (it was badly wounded in my personal story, but the spirit of the beast tied its self to my character)

Classes, especially base ones, should be left mostly up to interpretation, monks are entirely interpreted for you.
    HE SAID IT. HE FRICKEN SAID IT!