Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    The problem is that the crew acts just as if it was just a "stop the bad guy from doing bad thing" scenario. Even Sulu.
    Nah, it was all in his eyes. And when Chekov asked him if he could pull off the take off, all you saw was determination.

I saw the movie the other day, in Imax 3D, overall I'd give it a 7/10. The action was great, the effects were great and the adventure was neat. I felt they completely wasted Krall as a character though. Other than that, I liked the film a lot.

Minor spoilers?:

Even though he's given a 3 minute exposition dump as to why he's doing what he's doing, everything about his character, his motives, how he changed in appearance so severely, how he got his ridiculously huge army, etc, was just very wishy-washy. I felt like it was a huge waste of Idris Elba in the roll, since he barely has any time to make us emote for him at all. Even though Into Darkness was a bit goofy, Benedict's roll as Khan sold me on the film as a whole and carried it hard. The most questionable lapses in logic and plot holes simply didn't matter, as they made his character strong enough to carry it all. Same with the first one, Eric Bana was given a chance to shine in an interesting and conflicted roll also, making the film as a whole better. Idris Elba's Krall though... 'meh'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Nah, it was all in his eyes. And when Chekov asked him if he could pull off the take off, all you saw was determination.
    The inert thrusters and the desire to defend your loved ones fills you withDETERMINATION.
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2016-08-02 at 07:23 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    I agree that the Borg Queen concept ruined the Borg.

I have enjoyed the Abrams Star Trek films, but I'd like to get back to the prime universe. I want to see familiar things again like the Enterprise E (with a post-Picard commanding officer), Deep Space Nine and the Defiant.
    It would be hilarious if they made a Next Gen movie with James McAvoy as Picard someday...

Besides that, I always liked Next Gen more than Classic Star Trek, and I would love to see more of that crew.

Just finished watching the movie and I enjoyed it. The Visuals were great, some awesome shots and the CGI was fantastic. The acting was camp as always and Jaylah was a great addition.

I really didn't like the story though, Bad guy seeks ultimate weapon to kill everyone.... they really couldn't come up with anything else? Something to do with the characters themselves maybe? I understand they have to make it normie friendly so the audience is wide enough to recoup investments but this story was too generic. "Fun popcorn flick" is pretty accurate as others have said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    You said Sulu is third in command? I'm not so sure. In the show, the third in command was Scotty. Then it was Sulu. Sulu would be commanding when Kirk, Spock or Scotty were absent. It may be different here. Anyway, Sulu did not show much leadership in the movie. Uhura has shown more leadership during their captivity.
    Well, this isn't the show. It's the "Kelvin" universe or some shit. Kirk-> Spock for sure, but part of the problem is that Uhura is usually "in the shit", so wouldn't be acting captain and Scotty is engineering, so wouldn't really be in command either - as he wouldn't be as useful on the bridge. Throughout the KU, Sulu has been tactical lead with Kirk and Spock off ship each time.

It's similar to Aliens, where technically, Hicks and Ferro are of similar rank, whereas they shouldn't be - Ferro should be higher rank due to her MOS, but Hick has tactical lead on the ground. With that, Sulu has tactical lead "in the air", which carried over overall, with Kirk and Spock "on mission".
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Well, this isn't the show. It's the "Kelvin" universe or some shit. Kirk-> Spock for sure, but part of the problem is that Uhura is usually "in the shit", so wouldn't be acting captain and Scotty is engineering, so wouldn't really be in command either - as he wouldn't be as useful on the bridge. Throughout the KU, Sulu has been tactical lead with Kirk and Spock off ship each time.
    True. It also generally happened when the ship was in combat, if my memory serves me right. It's logical to put the tactic officer in the captain's chair. In the show, the Enterprise is more often than not orbiting a planet when Krik and Spock, against all reason, are on an away mission. So having a more seasonned, science-oriented acting captain may be more important. This is an exploration ship afterall...

As for Uhura, I was not saying that she outranked Sulu. Just that she was showing more leadership, especially during the crew's captivity.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as the show, Sulu is a bridge officer, plus, maybe he is busy shooting Green Berets and somebody else has to captain the ship so Scotty takes over?

Roles were less clearly defined on the show.

Movie was OK. If you could suspend disbelief and ignore plot holes and unanswered questions, you could enjoy the better parts of it. I didn't care for all the darkness and shaky cams in the first half of the movie.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Hikaru_Sulu

Guess you didn't read enough and/or watch closely enough.
    Okay so it was established he had a kid with a wife in a computer game initially...

Then they went back and changed it so that it was a fling that he had the child.

And in this universe, we don't even know if they changed that later fact, he could have had the fling then had the kid, and for all we know he is bi.

My original point all along was that people were whining that he would be a token gay, a character that is defined by the fact that they are gay. They were begging them to just make a new character that was gay and not make Sulu the token gay.

And yet, he wasn't token gay, he was just... gay. From a single moment in the film no less. Adding a character that was gay just to have a gay character would have been dumb, and they did this well. He's still Hikaru Sulu, but with a same-sex partner.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"