Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Restructuring our voting process

Here is an idea I have and have had for awhile but is reinforced by the fact that some town voted against a solar panel farm out of fear that the sun will be drained of energy..

In order to vote, you MUST get a bachelors degree in a particular field. Each issue will be signified as belonging to a specific field. Only those with that specialization can vote on that topic. Anyone with a bachelors degree can vote on anything that is labeled 'general.'

No one can vote unless they have obtained a bachelors degree.

This would help to put an informed choice in decision making in our country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Will those who don't get to vote be exempt from taxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Verzen View Post
    Here is an idea I have and have had for awhile but is reinforced by the fact that some town voted against a solar panel farm out of fear that the sun will be drained of energy..

In order to vote, you MUST get a bachelors degree in a particular field. Each issue will be signified as belonging to a specific field. Only those with that specialization can vote on that topic. Anyone with a bachelors degree can vote on anything that is labeled 'general.'

Seen to many morons in universities when I got my degree to support this. Maybe if you restricted it to stem only but even then a higher education isn't proof of anything the person you are pointing at has a bare min of a bachelor's degree in teaching.

so in your united state's anyone who can't afford college must be a 2nd class citizen? good work there mister trump.

Well, what I mean is that something dealing with the economy would only allow those who have a degree in economics or business to vote on.

Only STEM people could vote on the solar panel farm, for example. It would help reduce and mitigate the noise in our democratic system.

- - - Updated - - -

so in your united state's anyone who can't afford college must be a 2nd class citizen? good work there mister trump.
    I am actually also for free college education and free healthcare. So there is that. -_-

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, what I mean is that something dealing with the economy would only allow those who have a degree in economics or business to vote on.

Only STEM people could vote on the solar panel farm, for example. It would help reduce and mitigate the noise in our democratic system.
    Once again, would those who don't get to vote be exempt from taxes?

Ya, because University doesn't have a history of brain-washing their students. I love their "informed" choice... Or should I say the choice their professor whispered into their ear on the topic? Let's be honest, most people do not want to think for themselves and find it much more pleasant to be told what to think, be it what you or I think is the wrong thing to think or not.

This is horrible, and you should feel bad. We want a free society, not one ruled by the Nobles.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockndrop View Post
    lol what?

/10chars are you talking about?

10+ Year Old Account

Man, people are just really harping on with the segregation huh? lol.

Which is a good way to ensure that only certain interests are heard.

15+ Year Old Account
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geniocracy

Yeah, what a great new idea from 1977 you just had.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgon View Post
    Ya, because University doesn't have a history of brain-washing their students. I love their "informed" choice... Or should I say the choice their professor whispered into their ear on the topic? Let's be honest, most people do not want to think for themselves and find it much more pleasant to be told what to think, be it what you or I think is the wrong thing to think or not.

This is horrible, and you should feel bad. We want a free society, not one ruled by the Nobles.
    Name one thing that university does to brainwash their students. Evolution being taught? Is that brainwashing now? o.O

Are there any issues that can really be put into a single 'box?'

I mean, economics majors are basically going to get a vote on everything...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Democracy only truly works with an informed populace. Requiring an education in order to participate in the democratic process is a logical conclusion. Why should someone who has a PhD in biology, for example, have an equal amount of say as George the Taxi Driver on what ought to be taught in high school biology class, for example?

Democracy only truly works with an informed populace. Requiring an education in order to participate in the democratic process is a logical conclusion. Why should someone who has a PhD in biology, for example, have an equal amount of say as George the Taxi Driver on what ought to be taught in high school biology class, for example?
    They should get an equal say because A) they're both going to be subject to the force of law B) we've never come up with a way to determine who "deserves" a vote in a fashion that is remotely fair except "every adult gets to vote".

10+ Year Old Account
    Disenfranchising large sections of the population has never been a good idea. Unless you like riots and revolutions, then I suppose it is.

- - - Updated - - -

I am actually also for free college education and free healthcare. So there is that. -_-
    Why don't you just cut to the chad and let only the CEOs of major companies vote. Be cheaper and you'd see pretty much exactly the same outcome as you do currently.

Deleted
    You would just get a system where those who officially is educated will vote in favor for money to research, pension to former scientists etc - and then forget all the people who is just as necessary for the functioning of society - garbage collectors, merchants, farmers, hairdressers etc.

Nothing beats information to everybody. Which the internet is providing. Next step is to provide internet and labtops for all and make it possible for a poor kid in an African village to take a Harvard degree in astro physics if that is his dream.

15+ Year Old Account
    What are you talking? Do you have elections that decide what´s being taught in schools?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by verdamte View Post
    You would just get a system where those who officially is educated will vote in favor for money to research, pension to former scientists etc - and then forget all the people who is just as necessary for the functioning of society - garbage collectors, merchants, farmers, hairdressers etc.

Nothing beats information to everybody. Which the internet is providing. Next step is to provide internet and labtops for all and make it possible for a poor kid in an African village to take a Harvard degree in astro physics if that is his dream.
    Truth beats information. People don´t just need access to the internet, they need to learn to filter the amount of informtion provided.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

The article OP is concerned with is in error.

People didn't want solar panels because it lowers property values and they were making a lot of arguments against it in a town meeting.

Some local guy named Bobby addressed the town council and said, "solar panels can suck up the sun". He got some laughs.

This from snopes

Claim: Residents of a North Carolina town rejected the local installation of a solar farm over fears the technology was harmful.

WHAT'S TRUE: A North Carolina town rejected the further installation of solar panels; some residents registered fears that the panels would disrupt the local ecosystem, while many others worried property values would be affected.

WHAT'S FALSE: Concerns hinged solely on the dangers of solar panels.

Example: [Collected via e-mail, December 2015]

TOWN REFUSES SOLAR PANELS BECAUSE THEY WILL ‘SUCK UP ALL THE ENERGY FROM THE SUN’ AND ‘CAUSE CANCER’

Sometimes you come across a story so bizarre and absurd, you think it must be satire. This is one of those times. The town of Woodland, North Carolina’s city council decided to reject environmentally friendly solar panels because residents voiced some of the most ridiculous concerns imaginable.

A local man named Bobby Mann claimed solar panels would:

“Suck up all the energy from the sun”

The Woodland Town Council rejected a proposal to rezone a section of land north of town to M2 (manufacturing) from RA (residential/agricultural), essentially denying approval of a solar farm ... Later in the meeting, the Town Council voted for a complete moratorium on solar farms.

During the public comment period preceding the rezoning vote, citizens expressed distrust and fear of the solar panels.

Mary Hobbs has been living in Woodland for 50 years and said she has watched it slowly becoming a ghost town with no job opportunities for young people.

She said her home is surrounded by solar farms and is no longer worth its value because of those facilities.

She added that the only people profiting are the landowners who sell their land, the solar companies, and the electrical companies.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland