Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Slybak View Post
    The people who protested Maher's invitation knew what he believed
    Ofc they did. But that's not the point. They want to be sheltered from everything said person might say, even if they have some new opinions to share they haven't heard of yet. But like I said there are far more pressing matters than a comedian being blocked from speaking. So how about them other feminists invited to talk about feminism but then blocked by a small group of people? Do they speak for the whole school? That doesn't seem to matter, they get their way anyway by being the loudest and most obnoxious. Cry till you get what you want is the motto.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Ofc they did. But that's not the point. They want to be sheltered from everything said person might say, even if they have some new opinions to share they haven't heard of yet.
    You're really climbing down the rabbit hole on this. The best bet on learning what the protesters wanted is to actually look at their petition, and their petition can best be summarized by what I wrote above: they did not want Bill Maher invited to speak at their graduation because they don't want to give opinions that they strongly disagree with a platform in their name. It does this because, of the two of us, I'm the one who had actually read it first before commenting on it.

But like I said there are far more pressing matters than a comedian being blocked from speaking. So how about them other feminists invited to talk about feminism but then blocked by a small group of people? Do they speak for the whole school? That doesn't seem to matter, they get their way anyway by being the loudest and most obnoxious. Cry till you get what you want is the motto.
    Which feminists? Germaine Greer is the only one who has been protested that I recall - due to a speaking engagement she was invited to give at Cardiff University - and that was because she's one of the more visible and outspoken transphobic bigots that fall under the umbrella term of TERFs. If you're referring to her, its same as with Maher. The protesters didn't want their university to give her a platform in their name.