Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your seriously overreacting here, its not like it matters what your opinion of others are. Leave them alone and just get on with you're day.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Why is a simple answer of 'shorthand' not as viable as assuming people are dumb?

- - - Updated - - -

Added the bold to make it funnier...
    If people spelled things more phonetically I.E. the way it sounds intuitively, then there would be no problems. People would do what they do in normal speech and just use their brain power to understand these fascinating things like context and actually pay attention to what is being communicated rather than depend on the time for proof reading and or typing time of the person communicating.

I know it is shocking but considering nearly everyone KNOWS what the person said even when they use the technically incorrect version of the same consonant sound, it just seems silly and kind of pointless.

In terms of communicative effectiveness its like bragging you use a deliberately kind of useless rule taught in school when you and I know perfectly well what was said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Why is a simple answer of 'shorthand' not as viable as assuming people are dumb?
    Cos shorthand usually conveys the same meaning as the original. They're, their and there have absolutely different meanings and are not interchangeable at all.

"You = U" I can excuse as shorthand; "their = there" is not shorthand, it's just plain wrong. Same with "your" and "you're". Totally different meanings. And my personal favourite today "could've" and "could of". The second one doesn't even make remote sense grammatically.

Saying "it's shorter" really has only the purpose to hide their embarassment. It's never about effort. They didn't even think about effort while making the decision. They just write it as they think is correct and it shows the lack of education they had. That's it. End of discussion.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Simple, because people are lazy and stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundrah View Post
    You can be a revolutionary and have your entire career ruined as a result. I'm also so sick of seeing comments from your typical ghetto dweller with English as their main language in full broken English. I'm in no way a grammar Nazi. This is absolute basic English.
    Lighten up. English spelling, and grammar rules are only a couple of hundred years old at most. English is great because of it's ability to adapt and evolve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    Your right.

Pisses me off too.
    What has my right side done to you?

Humans+ Any number of "reasons" to make the mistake = This annoyance.

I catch myself sometimes making the "your" mistake...some days I do not catch it as my brain and fingers are not in sync and ...woops.

Humans..being human.
    Shocking and horrid I know

If this is your biggest annoyance in life so far...I applaud you sir or ma'am and eagerly await your how to book.

10+ Year Old Account
    Auto correct, not proof reading, trying to be fluid in text and missing a detail, I tend to forgive a mistake or two.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Sundrah View Post
    You can be a revolutionary and have your entire career ruined as a result. I'm also so sick of seeing comments from your typical ghetto dweller with English as their main language in full broken English. I'm in no way a grammar Nazi. This is absolute basic English.
    Probably because their not paying attention to there grammar.

The extra second it takes to add the 2 other parts to you're is too much man,

bad grammar exists everywhere... There is also people who don't speak english as their native language. The mount of "your"s instead of "You're" I've seen in my english classes was astouding (I'm french canadian)

This may only apply to certain places in the world. But what about the words 'arse' and 'ass'. 'Arse' generally means your bum and 'Ass' is a Donkey, or is it just the way it is used in context?

My own grammar isn't perfect by any means, but when a native English speaker consistently writes your instead of you're, or loose instead of lose, I write them off as a bit thick and tend not to pay much attention to them.
    Last edited by DarkAmbient; 2015-12-20 at 10:46 AM.

Deleted
    Because you are on an international forum.
    Not everyone is english.

Your mind is now blown

Because they're homophones.

10+ Year Old Account
    their r more important things to worry about, no?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Because you are on an international forum.
    Not everyone is english.

Your mind is now blown
    My experience has shown that it's mostly "english" people who do those mistakes. Other peeps, who learned english by starting with grammar and spelling, do such mistakes rarely.

In fact, because this is international forum, "english" people SHOULD try harder to write properly. To make it easier for international audience to understand. And to not teach them incorrect spelling. I remember I kept using "should of" and "must of" (instead of should have and must have) like a retard because I didn't know better and I saw many people writing like that.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Because there fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTheOriginal View Post
    Because there fucking stupid.
    Wow. I sincerely hope this was an ironic post

Eh, I understand English well enough to grasp what people really mean without a problem. It doesn't bother me at all.