10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Dragon View Post
    If only

Sig: Elyssia | DJoron is the Best

10+ Year Old Account
    currently incarnated as a human on the planet earth
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyera View Post
    If only
    Nah. You don't want acute ulcerative colitis, to say nothing of being combined with the other two.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security, will deserve neither and lose both. --Benjamin Franklin

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keenaxe View Post
    Nah. You don't want acute ulcerative colitis, to say nothing of being combined with the other two.
    I can't pronounce that

time for this dragon to retire to his cave
    g'nite everypony

10+ Year Old Account
    Tanks used by the soviets in the 1970s did not have pinpoint accuracy. Fuck off MGSV.
    "Come, face me! Give in to your Pride! Show me your Greatness!"

mfw every day | Nujabes - Horizon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kortin View Post
    Tanks used by the soviets in the 1970s did not have pinpoint accuracy. Fuck off MGSV.
    USSR T-80s had about a 40% hit rate, but they were built around 1976. The T-80B Variant had slightly improved accuracy, but that was even later in 1978.

But those were highly specialized and very expensive and new tanks. Take the run of the mill T-72s or T-64s, which were probably far more common, and your hit rate drops to 30ish percent and lower

- - - Updated - - -

Most MBTs of that era used the 2A26 or the 2A46 Smooth Bore 125mm guns.

You go any earlier and you end up with T-55's and their amazing D-10T barrels that were about as accurate as threading a needle in a Hurricane
    Last edited by Freyera; 2016-01-19 at 02:56 AM.

USSR T-80s had about a 40% hit rate, but they were built around 1976. The T-80B Variant had slightly improved accuracy, but that was even later in 1978.

But those were highly specialized and very expensive and new tanks. Take the run of the mill T-72s or T-64s, which were probably far more common, and your hit rate drops to 30ish percent and lower
    I'm too feverish to make a argument, but what Frey said.

And just because its from the 70's doesnt mean it couldn't hit. Generally tank guns are pretty accurate, could hit a target several km's away if given a moment to aim their shot. They need to be to be effective at hitting the target, if the enemy knows you cant hit for shit, then they dont need to be afraid of you. That and a experienced crew would know the quirks of the tanks gun.

Modern armor is all computerized now. It measures wind speed, and target movement. When I was in the service I watched a light armored reconnaissance vehicle aim a shot at a target 4km's away and the computer aimed the gun to waaaay to the right, and hit it dead on every time. Computerized guns are amazing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why you all talk about big guns when you can send ponies and hugs?
    Oh, hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    Why you all talk about big guns when you can send ponies and hugs?
    Misunderstood statement. Put ponies in the Navy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daginni View Post
    I'm too feverish to make a argument, but what Frey said.

And just because its from the 70's doesnt mean it couldn't hit. Generally tank guns are pretty accurate, could hit a target several km's away if given a moment to aim their shot. They need to be to be effective at hitting the target, if the enemy knows you cant hit for shit, then they dont need to be afraid of you. That and a experienced crew would know the quirks of the tanks gun.

Modern armor is all computerized now. It measures wind speed, and target movement. When I was in the service I watched a light armored reconnaissance vehicle aim a shot at a target 4km's away and the computer aimed the gun to waaaay to the right, and hit it dead on every time. Computerized guns are amazing.
    Computerized guns are cheating!

Also, the MBT is dying on today's battlefield, and I think that's a huge shame. The proliferation of accurate and armor piercing missile technology deployable to infantry wasn't painful enough even back when it was all SACLOS and MCLOS firing just outside of the tanks range. Now air power has become what controls the battlefield, and there is nothing more deadly to a tank than a helicopter.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Most MBTs of that era used the 2A26 or the 2A46 Smooth Bore 125mm guns.

You go any earlier and you end up with T-55's and their amazing D-10T barrels that were about as accurate as threading a needle in a Hurricane
    These shots always hit me until I decided to change where I was standing (i.e. literally right next to them). I was just mad because it kept killing me because this tank could literally not miss, the only way to not die to it was to stand in such a way that it is impossible for it to shoot me.

10+ Year Old Account
    These shots always hit me until I decided to change where I was standing (i.e. literally right next to them). I was just mad because it kept killing me because this tank could literally not miss, the only way to not die to it was to stand in such a way that it is impossible for it to shoot me.
    These tanks did gain a significant amount of accuracy and power the closer they got to their target, as almost all of them fired Kinetic rounds that only lost penetration power the farther they flew.

Still though, the game is probably just being silly and hard. They shouldn't hit you dead on every time.

MGSV is set in 1984

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GarGar View Post
    MGSV is set in 1984
    Oooh. 1984 huh? Even more T-80 Variants came out then. I must go find them now

10+ Year Old Account
    These tanks did gain a significant amount of accuracy and power the closer they got to their target, as almost all of them fired Kinetic rounds that only lost penetration power the farther they flew.

Still though, the game is probably just being silly and hard. They shouldn't hit you dead on every time.
    Well they were anywhere from 500 to 700 meters away from where I was standing, that's why I was annoyed that they could hit me every goddamn time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GarGar View Post
    MGSV is set in 1984
    Oh that's right. The Man Who Sold the World (the version used in-game) was 82. Momentary lapse in memory.

Either way, There's no way they could have such pinpoint accuracy on a single, person-sized, moving target from over half a kilometer away.

10+ Year Old Account
    The T-72B and the T-72BI both came out around 1985, both sporting the 2A46M barrel that hit roughly half the shots it made at maximum range.

They were joined by the T-80A (Only a Prototype regretfully. Never realized mass production) and the T-80BV. Same gun, but a very marginal increase in accuracy. Not sure why though. They were significantly better armored, maybe the extra weight helped.

- - - Updated - - -

*These reported accuracy measurements are at maximum range, which was usually placed in the 4000m range

The T-72B and the T-72BI both came out around 1985, both sporting the 2A46M barrel that hit roughly half the shots it made at maximum range.

They were joined by the T-80A (Only a Prototype regretfully. Never realized mass production) and the T-80BV. Same gun, but a very marginal increase in accuracy. Not sure why though. They were significantly better armored, maybe the extra weight helped.

- - - Updated - - -

*These reported accuracy measurements are at maximum range, which was usually placed in the 4000m range
    Only 4km? Pfft, computized guns rockzors their boxorz lawl!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daginni View Post
    Only 4km? Pfft, computized guns rockzors their boxorz lawl!

[IMG]http://media.moddb.com/images/groups/1/3/2074/Have_you_guys_heard_of_the_new_French_tanks_They_3e984567b515e3c709a366cf1b3c7c99.jpg[/IdMG]
    I don't even think they had computers back in 1984.

*This was sarcasm and it did not come out that way and it will not be attempted again

I don't even think they had computers back in 1984.
    They so did have computers in 1984! How do you think hacker movies happened in the 80's if there were no computers?