Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[Megathread] Paragon

I saw the trailer for this earlier today and it doesn't look like there's a thread on this yet.

This game looks pretty awesome and definitely something I'll be watching closely as it gets closer to the release date. It's a new moba, but that gameplay and graphics...

This trailer has 2 parts, the first part is a cinematic trailer then it plays a gameplay trailer after.

https://www.epicgames.com/paragon/#videoTrailers
    Paragon is the MOBA from Epic Games that puts you in the fight with explosive action, direct third-person control, and deep strategic choice.

Paragon is coming to PC and PlayStation 4, with paid Early Access in Spring 2016 and Open Beta in Summer 2016.

The first Alpha test invites have gone out . It's under very strict NDA so don't expect to see much info but if anyone hasn't seen there's a 'guide' for every character @ http://imgur.com/a/mEkLQ

There's also an Alpha Intro video showcasing some ingame footage with UI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CClVICwow8

Quote Originally Posted by Kenjai View Post
    There's also an Alpha Intro video showcasing some ingame footage with UI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CClVICwow8
    Looks awesome. I'm kinda surprised more people aren't talking about this game, but I guess there's not much to talk about yet.

I was watching a random video where someone was interviewing one of the devs. I hadn't seen any of the gameplay yet and one of her comments was something like, often with mobas and trailers what you see in the trailer is nothing what the actual gameplay is like, but with Paragon it's very close to what you see is what you get. I had to check out the trailer after that, but sure enough she was right.

If someone could make an MMO that had combat that looked like that...omg it'd be amazing...

This actually looks fucking incredible. Better than CliffyB's Lawbreakers, better than Paladins, better than Overwatch.

https://www.epicgames.com/paragon/

Huge fan of the fact that it is 3rd person.

Looks third person like Smite/MNC. I hate that perspective in MOBAs; it disorientates me.

This game just looks so damn cool

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post

This game just looks so damn cool
    I can always respect a man that fights while smoking a pipe.

Another awesome video out today. The combat always amazes me.

Deleted
    I want to know more about the roles in the game.
    So far Hots is the only game that really rewards teamplay, and especially makes it as rewarding to play supports as the other roles.
    ... unfortunately Hots is unplayable for me and my friends.
    Anyone know how it works in this game with last hitting, experience, supports and so on?
    Would be interesting to know if anyone is taking inspiration from what's good with hots.

Last edited by grandpab; 2016-02-22 at 11:28 PM.

Here's another video, this time it's all game play with only in game sound.

The more I see the more I love the combat, specifically the animations.

Deleted
    Early access starts on 18.03. You can buy early access for 20 $. But they said that the game will be f2p. The business model is the same as it is in Dota 2. All heroes and items (cards) come free with the game. You can buy things that are purely cosmetic.
    More info:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/paragon/com...arts_march_18/

Deleted
    So is it still considered a MOBA if you eliminate micro completely, and make it a third person shooter with unit targeting, in other words, a WoW-style of a game? I've always thought of MOBA as being an extension of an RTS, where there's the same map control, unit control, and micro, but you just control a single unit instead of several.

I mean, it looks nice and all. Just curious about the genre.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-03-03 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    So is it still considered a MOBA if you eliminate micro completely, and make it a third person shooter with unit targeting, in other words, a WoW-style of a game? I've always thought of MOBA as being an extension of an RTS, where there's the same map control, unit control, and micro, but you just control a single unit instead of several.

Smite is considered a MOBA and is in 3rd person. I think the genre is more or less defined by choosing a class or hero and entered an "arena".

In general though, genres in games are just getting more and more blurred. You kinda just have to take a game for what it is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post

I have not played it, but what i have seen is that there are only handful abilities with auto target and aim. And those abilities are usually on long cooldown. Most of the abilities and basic attacks are aim to shoot ,or in moba terms: skillshot.
    Since its third person shooter, there isint much of micro that i am aware of. Controlling ai and micromanaging it from third person perspective can be difficult and i don't it think it fits to the shooter. Only thing i can think of , is to have ai controlled pet who you can command to attack the target you are currently aiming at.
    Mapawarness and mapcontroll are still required.
    Last edited by mmocba676b58bd; 2016-03-03 at 10:30 PM.

Somehow this game has caught my interest. So do I understand this correctly? This is a 3rd person view moba?

My first impression is that I want to try it out. I have only played hots before from moba genre and this isn't exactly like it since paragon different. I understand that early access for founders pack buyers actually starts around now. Anyone have opinions, if I should give into my initial interest and throw 20€ at this and try it out?

edit: mixed up some terms. :P
    Last edited by Morae; 2016-03-18 at 02:51 PM.

Deleted
    Will probably buy it later after I finish work.. Getting the basic version and if I like it ill upgrade. Hopefully it doesn't suuuuuck as I've been watching this for a while now

Deleted
    Looks great, but I fear playing it will feel exactly like Smite in a different setting .

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks interesting and Epic games definitely know what they're doing generally. Still find it strange that they put a game like this in the MOBA genre though. Why intentionally compete with the giants?