Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

30% of Republicans and 19% of Democrats support bombing Agrabah (Alladins home).....

Think we as Americans have fallen to a new low

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...rump?CMP=fb_us

Almost one-third of Republican primary voters would support bombing the fictional kingdom of Agrabah, according to a report released by Public Policy Polling on Friday.

More than 530 Republican primary voters were polled this week on their support for Republican candidates and foreign policy issues including banning Muslims from entering the US, Japanese internment camps from the second world war and bombing Agrabah, the kingdom from Disney’s animated classic, Aladdin.
    Republicans are so bullish on war that 30% would bomb a fictional country
    Trevor Timm
    Trevor Timm
    Read more

In its poll, Public Policy Polling asked the 532 Republicans: “Would you support or oppose bombing Agrabah?” While 57% of responders said they were not sure, 30% said they supported bombing it. Only 13% opposed it.

This..

this is why Geography is an important class.

10+ Year Old Account
    This has got to be fiction, or at least misleading. Even Republicans watch movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, the Sultan was -super- incompetent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Haha, Americans are just a funny species. So unique.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    This..

this is why Geography is an important class.
    No knowledge of calligraphy required, i might add. ok, not crossposting here...

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    And Jafar can mind control and turn himself into a massive Cobra. Better not to take risks.

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    No knowledge of calligraphy required, i might add. ok, not crossposting here...
    Useless to teach Geography without cultural understanding, which requires religious information as well.

Useless to teach Geography without cultural understanding, which requires religious information as well.
    and economic, geology, local biology, archaeological, astronomy, meteorology all things that inform actions taken at any given time.
    Last edited by Adarian; 2015-12-18 at 09:21 PM.
    we are his...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzPuK1vib_c

Quote Originally Posted by Barael View Post
    This is like creationists trying to smear evolution by calling it a religion.

Don't you dare close your eyes.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Quote Originally Posted by Adarian View Post
    and economic, geology, local biology, archaeological, astrology all things that inform actions taken at any given time.
    Religion tends to have a higher impact on culture than any of those, which is why when you learn about a country, learning about it's religion is pretty key.

Otherwise, rename Geography to Cartography and shorten it drastically, as learning names on a map doesn't require a full year of learning.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    And Jafar can mind control and turn himself into a massive Cobra. Better not to take risks.
    All good reasons.

But let's be honest here. We just want that god damn lamp.

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    I wonder how many people that said no actually knew it was a fictional place.
    Anything worth doing is worth over-doing. Moderation's for cowards.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    And his debauched advisor now plans to erect a theocratic personality-cult centred around himself, like some all-singing, all-dancing Kim Il Sung. We should have intervened decades ago, as far back as '92, I dare say.

To be fair though with the existence of micronations and other forms of territory it'd be somewhat difficult to determine if a name was real or not unless you recognized it instantly. Troll poll was good at trolling though, I'll give them that.

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by damajin View Post
    To be fair though with the existence of micronations and other forms of territory it'd be somewhat difficult to determine if a name was real or not unless you recognized it instantly. Troll poll was good at trolling though, I'll give them that.
    That only suggests the idea that you should actually know where and what a nation IS before supporting bombing that nation.

That only suggests the idea that you should actually know where and what a nation IS before supporting bombing that nation.
    No doubt, but can't count on idiocy being anywhere except everywhere it is. There's been a surge in the last year or two of these troll pollsters basically doing what Jay Leno used to do with asking people questions and seeing how stupid they were, except of course applied to politicial, religious and sociological topics. Some guy last year did one where he got people to sign a petition to ban water, gg.

Religion tends to have a higher impact on culture than any of those, which is why when you learn about a country, learning about it's religion is pretty key.

Otherwise, rename Geography to Cartography and shorten it drastically, as learning names on a map doesn't require a full year of learning.
    true but they are never really disconnected in function, thus why i began with "and".

everything comes from somewhere and everything goes to somewhere, nothing is in stasis or a vacuum.
    we are his...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzPuK1vib_c

Quote Originally Posted by Barael View Post
    This is like creationists trying to smear evolution by calling it a religion.

If you don't know that Agrabah don't exist and thus say ''no, we should not bomb it'', it's obviously less worrying then ''yes, we should''

Quote Originally Posted by damajin View Post
    No doubt, but can't count on idiocy being anywhere except everywhere it is. There's been a surge in the last year or two of these troll pollsters basically doing what Jay Leno used to do with asking people questions and seeing how stupid they were, except of course applied to politicial, religious and sociological topics. Some guy last year did one where he got people to sign a petition to ban water, gg.
    While true, the high political divide suggests something different going on; no doubt there's a portion of each that are trolling the poll, but there's also a portion (in both sides) that would support it because it "sounds middle-eastern". And that's worrisome as fuck. I can at least respect the "unsure" people for not wanting to bomb something they don't know about.