Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    can't subscribe to workshop mods and thats all I want right now.. -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    It's French now.

- - - Updated - - -

Well wouldn't you want those kinds of skills in a cyber war? I'm pretty sure these people aren't stupid enough to do it again after being hired by them.
    launching a ddos attack takes zero skill

- - - Updated - - -

"Going forward, we strongly encourage you not to store your billing information on the Steam store. Valve have proven multiple times that they’re unable to keep their security standards to a high level."

from steam peeps to customers --- about valve ...

Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    launching a ddos attack takes zero skill

- - - Updated - - -

"Going forward, we strongly encourage you not to store your billing information on the Steam store. Valve have proven multiple times that they’re unable to keep their security standards to a high level."

from steam peeps to customers --- about valve ...
    Never have done anyway since the option is there and it takes little effort to enter it every time I purchase a game.

It's weird even norse is having problems on it's site. Big attacks going on a lot of places today. My steam client didn't start up like it usually does when i turn on the pc. Should I even bother, or is it more safe to just not try and log in.

Glad I never save my payment info to steam.

10+ Year Old Account
    I fell asleep while logged into my account and when I went to check it, it was set to private.
    Life doesn’t get easier, we just grow stronger.

Just wanted to point out that the steam twitter being linked, SteamDB, is not "official".

We tweet about Valve things (but mostly Steam). We are not affiliated with Valve, but we occasionally make pipes leak.
    Your you're own enemy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any new sales in return for the screw up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Girlyman View Post
    Just wanted to point out that the steam twitter being linked, SteamDB, is not "official".
    The official one just has sales on it as far as I could tell.

Can I be in trouble? Have been playing games on steam during the last few hours. Then I tried to look at the store before knowing any of this. It didn't load up so I pushed the back button and returned to the screen where my games list is.

Should I turn off computer since i can't be logged in, if computer is off. Does being logged in matter?

Deleted
    I'd avoid logging in or purchasing anything tonight while the store is under attack. Most likely it is nothing, but why take a risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    Can I be in trouble? Have been playing games on steam during the last few hours. Then I tried to look at the store before knowing any of this. It didn't load up so I pushed the back button and returned to the screen where my games list is.

Should I turn off computer since i can't be logged in, if computer is off. Does being logged in matter?
    You are probably fine for right now.
    Steam pulled the plug on everything.

Update your info later, watch your credit card over the next few weeks closely.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post

There is little to nothing to worry about, I personally wouldn't do any input into the store for now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Any new sales in return for the screw up?
    What screw up? You are expecting Valve to give a bonus because they got attacked? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    What screw up? You are expecting Valve to give a bonus because they got attacked? :P
    Nah, Valve should give people a bonus because of their inept job at security that a DDOS attack(if it even was one) can allow random people to see your personal and billing information. That should never happen. The fact they recognized it and took like another hour to bring down the servers again speaks of their incompetence on the matter and not taking it seriously.

The screw up would be not taking steam offline sooner.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Seems banks know about this too ( why wouldn't they?) and according to my friends bank they stopped accepting charges from valve for the time being. Not sure about others though.

Quote Originally Posted by RoninaThorstone View Post
    ^ as in, you can gift yourself games from another persons account which you can re-sell at a later date.
    Script kiddies gone awry.
    This isnt a simple script if its truely not Valves fault. This sort of redirect on this scale is far more than a automated ddos script.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    This isnt a simple script if its truely not Valves fault. This sort of redirect on this scale is far more than a automated ddos script.
    DDOS in itself is just a way to take something down, but it's how the system that you're attacking deals with it, that might cause it to ...act unpredictable... It's very possible that huge amount of stress on Steam simply caused these caching issues.

The question is, was it deliberate, calculated, or just a side-effect. If it's the former, this isn't over yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    DDOS in itself is just a way to take something down, but it's how the system that you're attacking deals with it, that might cause it to ...act unpredictable... It's very possible that huge amount of stress on Steam simply caused these caching issues.

The question is, was it deliberate, calculated, or just a side-effect. If it's the former, this isn't over yet.
    Is cache related to ddosing? From what I've seen it's not directly related, and this seems more like a glitch then anything else. Looking at valvetime's twitter, It seems like the issue is being resolved, and there is a lot of journalist licking their chops with this and spreading some misinformation.

the steam front page seems fixed now, but I still cannot login in the browser ...