Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Sega reportedly talking about releasing sega dreamcast 2

Found this interesting. I'm curious if there's even room in the current video game market for another competitor to come in and be successful compared to the PS4 and the xbox one. I mean even the Wii U isn't very competitive against them and Nintendo has been making systems forever.

There’s been excitement over a possible sequel to the SEGA Dreamcast, dubbed the “Dreamcast 2,” 17 years after the console made its debut.

Patrick Lawsen, a member of the SEGA Dreamcast 2 group that aims to revive the brand, said there’s been some progress in the project.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/1924...onsole-hybrid/

http://thegg.net/hot-news/the-sega-d...project-dream/

Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Kind of a horrible looking CG picture there.

Quote Originally Posted by Erixi View Post
    Kind of a horrible looking CG picture there.
    Well, the console looks okay. The controller looks terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lakeland, FL or the Temple of Atal Hakkar
    I don't see how they could compete. They won't have enough first party/ exclusive content if they go pure console.
    Proud Troll player.

If they're not trying to compete directly with Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony I think it's fine. But this late in the game with a market already saturated by consoles... it won't do well I don't think.

Depends on their market, really. Best of luck to them though, I guess.

I'm way more excited than I should.

Quote Originally Posted by Kourvith View Post
    I'm way more excited than I should.
    Who knows, maybe they'll go back on their statement about not rereleasing skies of arcadia.

10+ Year Old Account
    just what we needed

more disappointment from Sega.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    If they're not trying to compete directly with Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony I think it's fine. But this late in the game with a market already saturated by consoles... it won't do well I don't think.

Depends on their market, really. Best of luck to them though, I guess.
    Saturated with consoles? - you don't remember the 90's - there were a lot more than this saturation. Maybe if Sega do good it'll breathe a healthy dose of competition into the market.

-Grim

Quote Originally Posted by Grim32 View Post
    Saturated with consoles? - you don't remember the 90's - there were a lot more than this saturation. Maybe if Sega do good it'll breathe a healthy dose of competition into the market.

-Grim
    I think it would take a lot of exclusive content for them to even begin to be competitive at this point. People have chosen their sides and it's either playstation or xbox.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

They cannot afford it.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    They cannot afford it.
    I assume if this is true that they'll decide to crowd fund it.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    The problem is, much like the new Coleco console, is that there isn't much backing the system itself. Yes, there will be some hype and nostalgia but that will only go so far. You're talking hundreds of millions of dollars to produce and release these consoles. If they don't have a good first party and third party support the thing is going to flop. Not to mention it has to be competitive with the other consoles. The Wii U is considered a failure by some simply because it can't complete. However, it does do good in sales and has it's niche market, it didn't do so well as the original Wii.

Sega doesn't have as much money as it once did. They had 2 failed consoles in a row, lost a huge share of the market and lost a lot of third party support with so-so first party games. I love my Dreamcast. I still play games on it to this day. I just highly doubt that anything will come from this if not a rumor / fake story. From the fake CG picture with the post, which could be a concept, it just seems like a weird time to announce.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I assume if this is true that they'll decide to crowd fund it.
    They wouldn't still be able to afford it.

Unless of course the aim is Oya 2.0

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

-Grim
    The 90's are a perfect example of why this system wouldn't succeed... the same reason it didn't do well the first time, the market is already full.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    The 90's are a perfect example of why this system wouldn't succeed... the same reason it didn't do well the first time, the market is already full.
    Reason Dreamcast failed wasn't because of over-saturation. It's because of decade long series of mistakes Sega did that had killed any trust between them as a console hardware maker and game publishers and console hardware maker and consumers. They killed themselves throughout the 90s and only their own business decisions are to blame.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to be a hardcore SEGA fan. Grew up with a Master System while all my friends had NES. The quality of games were just better on the Master System. The 3D was ahead of its time by 30 years. I still remember playing Maze Hunter 3D and Zaxxon 3D on MS. . . . Best 8bit system ever created.

I doubt they'd actually release it. What games would it run? What developer(s) are going to take that much of a risk considering the sheer dominance of the PlayStation & XBox. There really isn't that much of a need for another console on the market unless it can offer something really unique.

Computers, PlayStation, XBox & Nintendo kind of have the whole thing covered in terms of what you're going to want out of a gaming device. Even the Steam Box coming out is going to be reliant on the PC versions, so why would developers risk working on a whole new system, with zero market share (at the start), without any guarantee others will follow suit.

Every now and then a new kid comes along, and topples the king, or changes the game entirely. They'd really need to smash the XBox & PlayStation out of the park in terms of technology, design, specifications and price. I don't see Sega being able to really do that ...

Side Note: Even though just a concept image there, that controller is disgusting, the unit itself looks decent though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zisszinthek
    I don't see how they could compete. They won't have enough first party/ exclusive content if they go pure console.
    Give me a good Sonic game and Street of Rage 4 and I'll buy it today.

LoL at the people saying the controller looks terrible. It's the bastard child of a xbone and Wii U pro-controller. In so many words you are basically saying it should be a ps4 controller. Also...really? Your hangup is the controller?

As for the console....the market is ripe for a Sega console, with Nintendo's NX around the corner they could very well spark the SNES/Genesis war all over again....and just on the marketing alone.

Also, both Sega and Nintendo are basically the only video game companies (Sony has the rest of their failing company and Microsoft is...well Microsoft). If you want to tickle the fancy of a waning, nostalgic demographic (which I am a part of...minus the nostalgia...I like all things new and old) then having two pure gaming companies go head to head with in-house ip's now is the time.
    If you are progressing through content just to obtain gear, you are doing it wrong. You, in fact, are doing it exactly backwards.
    You are the leader of the Black Harvest, go harvest some squirrels and crack some more nuts. Sir.