Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    0 we do not exchange gifts in out family once you pass the age of 18.

Instead we focus on the kids and to be together.

Gift cards are not bad tho ...January sale and all.

Kinda amused by the image of OP sitting beside the tree chopping up the cards as he get them tho and lets pretend it is a true story also imagine how lonely he will be later in life.

Quote Originally Posted by IntellectuallyChallenged View Post
    ... did you get for the holiday? I got a total of nine. And one single actual gift that someone put thought into. I know why this happened. It was because I requested to everyone that I absolutely did not want gift cards for the holiday. I told them that I wanted them all to put thought into their gifts. But these people, my family, they are spiteful. What they didn't know is that I has scissors on me just in case. As I opened each gift and a card came out, I promptly cut them into multiple pieces in front of them so they would know that they wasted their money.

Gift cards are not holiday presents. They tell me that you think nothing of me and that you have no imagination.
    Maybe they gave gift cards to everyone because they didn't have time to pick individual gifts or find you really difficult to please. Instead of being pompous with "I told them that I wanted them all to put thought into their gifts", you could tell them what you want or not accept the gift cards. About the bold text, maybe they don't think anything of ingrates and felt obligated to buy for you. There's nothing more self centered than a narcissist who says use your judgement......but not that.

Strangely I didn't get any this year. Honestly the only people I'm somewhat critical of when it comes to presents I get from them is my mom, dad, sister, best friend. Anyone else I'm just happy they even got me something.
    X

10+ Year Old Account
    I got 0. All the gifts I received were meaningful.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

What a child.

The whole "meaningful" gift thing is ridiculous. I don't give a shit what you bought me, I'm just glad you did. Stop being an ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually like gift cards being that im almost impossible to buy for. I work hard and buy the things that I want. Food giftcards are the things I can use the most so no complaints there. At least they got you something.
    https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...kywall/rotomon
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and people's stupidity - though I am not entirely sure about the universe". -Albert Einstein

Well I'm glad I didn't get you anything, and if I was part of your family, you'd get nothing next year. While I understand wanting thought going into a gift you don't have to be a principled dick about it. No doubt you are most likely difficult to buy for, hence the gift cards.

10+ Year Old Account
    ... did you get for the holiday? I got a total of nine. And one single actual gift that someone put thought into. I know why this happened. It was because I requested to everyone that I absolutely did not want gift cards for the holiday. I told them that I wanted them all to put thought into their gifts. But these people, my family, they are spiteful. What they didn't know is that I has scissors on me just in case. As I opened each gift and a card came out, I promptly cut them into multiple pieces in front of them so they would know that they wasted their money.

Gift cards are not holiday presents. They tell me that you think nothing of me and that you have no imagination.
    Some people are incredibly annoying to shop for, like myself, even I don't know what I want when people ask me for ideas.

Maybe you're one of those persons, and they figured something is better than nothing.

You sound like a spoiled, ungrateful 12 year old child. I bet if you didn't demand people not get you gift cards, they probably would have tried a little harder.

And it's a good thing most gift cards have codes that can be used online. So much for wasting their money.
    Last edited by Jazzhands; 2015-12-26 at 10:06 PM.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    I hope your family puts some thought into it next year. I hope they get a giant box, and one by one, each proceed to squat out a fat pile of shit into it, wrap it up in nice wrapping paper and a shiny bow, and present it to your ungrateful ass.
    That's what he would get for christmas/birthdays from me from that point forward. Would have a little card on it every time too that said "Was thinking of you when I made this."

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    5 total:
    2 Ruby Tuesday for $50
    1 Xbox store (don't have an Xbox)
    2 Pizza Hut for $25

Don't have to cook dinner for a while!!

That would be incredibly inconsiderate, if you actually did it, which I doubt.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you actually did that then you lost out on free money. You did not win here.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

I asked for a new wallet for Christmas and I got a wallet full of gift cards to stores I frequent and some cash too. It was really creative and took a lot of effort. I really liked it

If your story is true, it's pretty easy to see why people wouldn't care to pick out a "meaningful" gift for such a colossal brat.

Not a one. The people who don't get me specific gifts give me cash, cause cash can be used ANYWHERE, not just as the place the gift card is good for. You get me a $25 gift card to Walmart, I can go spend $25 on movies, or CDs, or groceries. You give me $25 cash, I can go spend that cash on the same things at Walmart I'd use the gift card on...or I could go get a steak dinner at Texas Roadhouse, or I could put it in my bank account, then go online and order a new Kershaw knife from BladeHQ.

And damn, I wish people would STFU about "putting thought into gifts". Giving a gift card or cash has NOTHING to do with "not putting thought into gifts". The people who give me gifts know what kind of stuff I like. I like music, I like movies, I collect knives and blades, I like to read, I play a few PC games. Easy to shop for then, right? Now consider I own over 3500 CDs, and my book, movie, and blade collections all number in the hundreds. I have NO interest in blades from certain manufacturers or of certain styles, I only have interest in certain types of books and movies, etc. Not to mention so often with things I want, I order or buy them within a week of their release. John Wick came out on DVD Feb 13, I owned it Feb 14. The last Sabaton album was released on May 27, I'd already ordered it in April. Now, think you can buy me a CD, movie, book, or knife without a strong chance of getting something I already have or something I specifically do not want? No matter how much thought you put into it, unless you've gone over my collection and have a photographic memory, you're much, much better off giving me money/gift card or getting something I specifically ask for. Yes, if you get me ANYTHING I'll appreciate that you think enough of me to get me something, even if it's something I have or don't really want. But giving me cash(or a gift card to a place you know I shop at) shows me you actually want me to get something I care about, something I will get enjoyment from, rather than being "thoughtful" and having a very good chance of getting me something I do not want or already have.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    If you actually did that then you lost out on free money. You did not win here.
    Well his name is fitting for this circumstance.
    X

Deleted
    I've literally never gotten a gift card from anyone.

0 gift cards but I got some cash from my grandma and mother-in-law because they're used to doing this and they know that money is spent on my daughter.
    my wife got me what I wanted, I got her what she wanted, my daughter was spoiled just like every Christmas.
    all good

This is probably the first year in a very long time that I didn't get a single gift card. Instead I got a bunch of gifts and everything I asked for.

I got 5 gift cards, and I love all of 'em. Two for Harley Davidson, as my family knows how much I love my bike and customizing it, but know zero about motorcycles, nor how to pick out parts that I will like, so basically they let me pick them out, and they pay for them. It shows they thoughtfulness they wanted to get me something I would enjoy, even if they don't understand it. Two were for Amazon, which I use mostly to put books onto my Kindle, and as I go through books like mad its too hard to keep up with what I want vs. what I have already read, so this is a perfect solution. Again, much appreciated, and shows folks who gave me them know me. The last gift card was a $300 gift card to the local theater I like to go to, so now I can go to movies throughout the year. As I am looking forward to a number of films this coming year, but its too early to buy tickets yet this is perfect.