Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

An SSD Setup Question

Friend of friends!

I'm currently looking over amazon.ca for some SSD options and I am somewhat curious about a certain setup I have in mind which either: works, doesn't work or works but isn't cost effective.

I will be picking up a SanDisk 240GB Plus model which has some fairly solid reviews in regards to cost to performance. This would be a smaller but specific drive which I would use for select games which I often play such as Warcraft and Path of Exile as examples. I don't edit video or anything.

However, I'm also tempted to get an extra, smaller, 24GB PCI-E SSD and have it used as a dedicated OS/browser drive such as this SanDisk or Kingdian model.

My concern would be mixing SSDs/interfaces. The PCI-E models obviously won't be taking advantage of the bandwidth either but I am sure it would be a general improvement over an HDD.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2015-12-27 at 04:34 AM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

id probably just go for a single msata or single ssd rather then getting a relatively small one just for the os. then get a large HDD for storage.
    which mobo do you have?
    Last edited by godgunner; 2015-12-27 at 09:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    However, I'm also tempted to get an extra, smaller, 24GB PCI-E SSD and have it used as a dedicated OS/browser drive such as this SanDisk or Kingdian model.

My concern would be mixing SSDs/interfaces. The PCI-E models obviously won't be taking advantage of the bandwidth either but I am sure it would be a general improvement over an HDD.
    FYI, with those you either need an M.2 slot on your motherboard or a M.2-to-PCI-E adapter card, like this one and an open x4+ PCI-E slot.

There's no concern about that. The SSDs would act as completely independant drives, same as if you had two hard drives in the computer.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd recommend a few things.

1) When you get an SSD (assuming you don't already have one already), you're going to want to install OS and programs on it. Not just some. If you can't afford a big enough drive for it all, save up some. SSD's are super cheap. An extra 60 bucks isn't hard to swing for a long-time (4-6 year) purchase

2) I'd recommend Samsung EVO or Crucial, simply put.

3) Skip the small SSD idea entirely. Just don't bother. It's a waste of time/money/effort/performance

4) Just get a standard SSD 2.5". Largely m2 and pci-e are a novelty still, and don't really provide anything but fringe/luxury benefits with minimal real world value.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the feedback and pointing out the M.2 adapter!

I'll likely stick to the 240/256GB range simply because my installed gaming library isn't bursting at the seams. While I do keep some permanently installed such as the previously mentioned titles, I generally don't hoard every title I own to be available to play a specific game on a rainy day in September when the moon is full.

Fortunately, the 250GB 850 Evo is also on sale and can be had for $95 after I use my Amazon gift card so with a bracket thrown on top, It'll be a little over $100 all in which doesn't seem like a bad deal.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2015-12-27 at 03:16 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.