Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Immigration to Norway.

So hey guys, me and a mate of mine have decided to move into Norway. It seems there are alot of people from the Scandinavian countries in this forum so i've decided to give a shot and ask a couple of questions.

1. Is it hard to find a place to live? Should we start looking from here?
    2. Is it hard to find a job? We can pretty much work everything at the start, until we learn the language properly.

Any websites with additional info are welcome.
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misume View Post
    The day the Mythic Progression Thread isn't 95% trolling is the day Prime comes back to power.

Deleted
    Norway in Winter? Fuck that

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    What's wrong with winter?
    It's fucking freezing

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    It's fucking freezing
    The best weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktperry View Post
    So hey guys, me and a mate of mine have decided to move into Norway. It seems there are alot of people from the Scandinavian countries in this forum so i've decided to give a shot and ask a couple of questions.

2. Is it hard to find a job? We can pretty much work everything at the start, until we learn the language properly.

Thanks.

Hey!
    Some answers to your questions, as I view it:

1. Finding a place isn't exactly hard, IF you have money.
    Renting a place in Norway is insanely expensive unless you don't mind living far from city centres.
    But then you're gonna need a car, there's barely any buses or trams, and owning and driving a car in Norway is INSANELY expensive.
    Food is also very expensive, tobacco and alcohol even more so, a beer at a bar will normaly cost 8-10 euros f.e.

2. There's an ongoing oil crisis that has hit us very hard, around 40.000 people have lost their jobs.
    This obviously makes it hard for people with no training or education to get jobs, even people with bachelors degrees or masters degrees spend 6-12 month's getting a job (numbers taking from governmental statistics as of November 2015).
    We also have a FLOOD of immigrants from "Syria" coming in right now, and how much this is gonna add to the problems currently existing, we have yet to see.
    There is no sign from the government that they are gonna do anything about it, at least not as of yet.

I would not advocate coming here unless you had good education, and some years of work experience.

80F in Miami Florida today. Or 26.6666~ in Celcius

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    80F in Miami Florida today.
    Real temps, please.

Deleted

Thanks.
    Depends on how you wanna live, but I don't think it's easy but not overly hard either.
    Depends on what type of work you're ready to do, but a lot of swedes work in Norway but live in Sweden, because it's easier to find work there but cheaper to live in Sweden.
    Food is expensive in Norway, but technology is cheap.

They speak English well, so you won't have much of a problem being understood.

Anyway , Google a bit on it.
    http://www.nyinorge.no/en/Familiegje...ing-to-Norway/

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Norway in Winter? Fuck that
    Born and raised Norway, I haven't seen snow since 1996, and on christmas eve we had 10 degrees celsius!

If you're from the UK, and you have an education/experience, then seek out a recruitment firm with partners in Norway.

That way you can obtain a job first which will make you a better candidate in the housing process.

If you have a chunk of money, and you're from the UK, you can just move there now and stay for 5-7 months as an employment seeker but you might find it difficult to get housing as an unemployed non-resident.

If you're an uneducated/inexperienced person without substantial funds then you're basically looking at a very rough road ahead of you.

Norway has a shortage of unskilled jobs, a massive surplus of unskilled workers, and they continue to allow thousands of poor unskilled immigrants in every day.

Take that into account when you plan for your future.
    Last edited by TrumpIsPresident; 2015-12-27 at 08:07 PM.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.udi.no/en/ is the instance that deals with this, so for the legal aspect of it you have to go through them.

1. I wouldn't say it's hard to find a place in general, but it depends on where you want to live, how you want to live and what you can afford. Sort out a job first, so you know where you need to be and how much you can pay.

2. Impossible to answer. What kind of experience and education do you have? Without a particular qualification and without knowing the language, physical labor is probably your best bet. There's temp agencies that can help, then there's various factory/storehouse work. There's also a pretty decent market for artisans without the formal education for cheap electric/plumbing/building/carpeting work, that's a good option if you have some skills in any of that. Like anywhere finding a job requires effort, but plenty of people in your situation manage just fine.

I absolutely do not recommend coming here before having a job set up in advance.. Unless you have a lot of money saved up to last for several months.

Thank you all.

Well i searched some websites for the prices of living in Norway/Sweden, and it seems its alot cheaper in Sweden.
    Sadly im not from the UK. But atleast looking at those prices, i think i'll have enough money to last me for atleaast, 4-5 months.

We're looking to become truck drivers as a start, from my understanding from various forums, its a must to know swedish if we wanna be truck drivers, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    I absolutely do not recommend coming here before having a job set up in advance.. Unless you have a lot of money saved up to last for several months.

Yea, but how can i look for a job, if im not there, i doubt it anyone will want to hire me, before i even arrive in Norway.
    Last edited by Ktperry; 2015-12-27 at 08:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misume View Post
    The day the Mythic Progression Thread isn't 95% trolling is the day Prime comes back to power.

There's a pretty huge gap in what you can expect as an immigrant depending on what city your friend moves to. If your friend is moving to Oslo, they should prepared to work in the service industry and to spend at least half of their paycheck on rent alone.

Yea, but how can i look for a job, if im not there, i doubt it anyone will want to hire me, before i even arrive in Norway.
    http://www.jobbsafari.no/
    https://tjenester.nav.no/stillinger/forside
    http://www.finn.no/jobb/
    http://www.monster.no/

etc

15+ Year Old Account
    Cold winter weather is absolutely amazing. Been a really shitty warm winter this far.
    What Gabriel said! I am so fed up with warm weather and rain. I want snow .

(Yes, I live in Norway)

As for the OP - I spoke to an american recently who has moved to Norway, and was told that it is really hard to get a job as an american immigrant. This was a person with a decent education. The main barrier was language apparently. It was very important to be decent in norwegian. Besides this I really don't know much about the market of any kind for any kind of immigrant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tozza View Post
    and on christmas eve we had 10 degrees celsius!
    And this We're talking degrees on the + side of the C grade.
    Last edited by Duridi; 2015-12-27 at 08:22 PM.

I am not from Norway but I strongly advise arranging the job first, then move in.

Quote Originally Posted by Duridi View Post

And this We're talking degrees on the + side of the C grade.
    So was I! Wore a t-shirt outside until it started raining insanely.

Cold winter weather is absolutely amazing. Been a really shitty warm winter this far.
    Pfft cold weather sucks. I'm completely ok with -5 to -10 (14 to 23 F), but when it goes to -20 (-4 F)it starts to get shitty. I remember few years ago when it was -20 outside for month with a week of -25 to -30ish(-13 to -22) and that was absolutely shitty. It's not even necessarily the temperature alone that is annoying, but the very dry air that causes some irritation to throat and skin.

Oh and fuck sake US start using Centigrades as well, no one else uses Fahrenheit.

Deleted
    just throw away your passport and get a good tan

Deleted
    Scandinavian countries are expensive as hell.

10+ Year Old Account

Thanks.
    Yeah, I might be mistaken, but isn't work-immigration to Norway only granted where you have either a job skill they are looking for, or already have a job offer? Unless you're from a Schengen-country, that is.

Anyhow, unemployment is rising there too, so I'm guessing finding a job will be pretty hard.