Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    So it's a swedish word? /shrug isn't in Oxford English Dictionary so doesn't affect me

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    So it's a swedish word? /shrug isn't in Oxford English Dictionary so doesn't affect me
    It's in the online edition of it.

Feminist bloggers just love gendered insults against men so it became popular with them.

This thread has made me realize that I've been misusing the word "explain" to imply my ex-girlfriend is a bitch. Netsplaining at its finest!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    It's in the online edition of it.

Feminist bloggers just love gendered insults against men so it became popular with them.
    So it is, still zero shits given. I imagine most men don't care either

Deleted
    If they think they can make guys shut up with mean sexist slurs then they are wrong of cource.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's the current year? I mean come on guys.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

I love using this word against my Feminist friends...its pretty damn funny when you turn the bullshit back onto them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullmetal89 View Post
    You want to be on the wrong side of history mate?

Quote Originally Posted by fooliuscaesar13 View Post
    I love using this word against my Feminist friends...its pretty damn funny when you turn the bullshit back onto them.
    I find it highly problematic how much the word mansplaining normalizes gendered insults and everday sexism.
    Last edited by mmocd79acbf389; 2015-12-28 at 02:59 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullmetal89 View Post
    That means in a few days it will be soooo~ last year. :P

I find it highly problematic how much the word mansplaining normalizes gendered insults and everday sexism.
    To be honest, this thread is the first I've heard of it. Since MMO-C is quite possibly one of the most infinitesimally small communities giving two shits about social issues, I'm not too worried about problems like that.

And yes, I've only looked for an excuse to use the word infinitesimally, because I felt like it. It may or may not be an accurate description of the size of this community. Deal with it.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    Oh I am gonna have to revisit this thread a bunch, if the last thread that was sprouted from that word was to go by, the people that usually felt that words and such were sacred and people shouldn't be offended by them etc. etc., suddenly expressed the same offended nature.

Oh hypocrisy, why must thou be so entertaining

Well, that's what dictionaries and language academies/councils do: document how people use words.
    /shrug

I'd welcome any native translating their definition. Google gives some insight into bear-growing, but I'm rather confused about it.
    Förklaring som ges av män till kvinnor, som förutsätts vara mindre vetande (2012).
    I sociala medier klagar kvinnor med jämna mellanrum över att de just tvingats uthärda en dos mansplaining. De brukar få sympati av både medsystrar och män som odlar sitt Fi-skägg. Men frågan inställer sig: Varför, syster, sa du inte till mannen att du redan kände till saken i fråga?

They also have klickokrati (clicktocracy?), which is hilarious.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2015-12-28 at 03:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't tweet (as in the Twitter version) and truthiness also a word?

It's almost like people have been making words up and then adding them to a dictionary this whole time!
    Black Lives Matter

10+ Year Old Account

You said "problematic", you're triggering me

to laugh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    To be honest, this thread is the first I've heard of it. Since MMO-C is quite possibly one of the most infinitesimally small communities giving two shits about social issues, I'm not too worried about problems like that.

And yes, I've only looked for an excuse to use the word infinitesimally, because I felt like it. It may or may not be an accurate description of the size of this community. Deal with it.
    This term *trigger warning*mansplaining is clearly only a sympton of widespread structural sexism in our gynonormative culture and the capitalist dictionary industry.

...*trigger warning*...
    What in the blue shirted bunny is a trigger warning? Have we gotten to the point that one person's words can relieve someone else of the responsibility of their actions? Passion promotes dialogue... everything important should be a "trigger"... if it's not then it's not worth discussing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    (of a man) explain (something) to someone, typically a woman, in a manner regarded as condescending or patronizing.
    First time I've ever heard of this in regards to men or women...I know people including myself do it to other individuals, but never with the focus on women.

Deleted
    Ugh ridiculous. I don't understand how such a minority gets to influence the society so much as well. They are a very small but loud group.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    Nope. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansplaining#Origins
    OH NO! WIKIPEDIA HAS THAT WORD TOO! FILTHY SJW WIKIPEDIA IS UNDER TUMBLR RULE!t[/url]
    We're doomed!
    Look at the talk page and tell me it doesn't look like tumblerino.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Mansplaining

10+ Year Old Account
    I care slightly, because it is annoying tumblrina slang, but that is as far as my care about it goes.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.