MLG Acquired by Activision Blizzard

saw this on: https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffen...to_activision/

Direct Link: http://esportsobserver.com/mlg-sells...or-46-million/

I noticed that Blizzard had been hiring for esports pretty heavily lately, and really making an effort with HOTS on ESPN 2 and what not, but this seems like a really smart move to push further with HoTS, Overwatch, CoD, and Hearthstone. I'm just hoping they continue to support smash and other games that might pop up in the future, like this amazing Sm4sh GF at New Orleans this year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG37e9er0TI

===

Unrelated: Sort of a history lesson here, as you might know MLG used to own MMO-Champion (or something like that), and they eventually sold it to Curse in 2010 who are now the current owners. Without MLG, MMO-C might not be where it is now, and they weren't really intrusive as owners, except for those random octo-whatever stream players they put on the front page for the pvp tournies

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...uired-by-Curse
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2016-01-01 at 01:33 AM.

Smart buy for almost nothing, so very minimal risk. Puts Activision-Blizzard in a prime position to capitalize on what's left of the mlg brand and have a platform to pimp all their games on. There's a ton of money in esports right now, so if they can revitalize the brand and have it compete with ESL then they're going to be in a super strong position moving forward both to make money from other games running through MLG and to continue to market their own games.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Reminds me of college sports, though...most all of the players actually make peanuts, it's pretty sad ATM.
    College athletic scholarships usually over a 100k+ college education(most actually being well north of 200k), room&board, free meals and free clothing. On top of that they get stipends for spending money. Far from peanuts my friend.

As far as esports are concerned, until the players unionize the game creators will remain the majority profit holder instead of getting near the 50/50 split you see in athletic sports.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-01-01 at 01:58 AM.

I wish this whole e-sport fad would die out already. If people want to play competitively that's fine and all but companies trying to force it where it really doesn't make sense (like Blizzard and hearthstone) is just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Embernetic View Post
    I wish this whole e-sport fad would die out already. If people want to play competitively that's fine and all but companies trying to force it where it really doesn't make sense (like Blizzard and hearthstone) is just embarrassing.
    Yeah, I agree with that. I think it's cool if a competitive scene emerges because the game makes a great eSport, but Blizzard really forces it.

WoW arena and Hearthstone are examples of really, really shitty games to be a part of competitively.

Heroes and SC2 are great and I think they should just focus on them. Probably OW as well.

Well gg non activision shooters being in MLG.

Heroes and OW aren't cut out for esports either. They're in the same vein as Hearthstone—gameplay designed to marginalize player skill. Not to say that time spent practicing is entirely worthless, but that there is significant gameplay factors that seek to push outcomes towards 50/50 more-so than others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Embernetic View Post
    You realize that an organization like the NFL pushed football competitively too right? If you don't like what Blizzard is doing for Hearthstone then you shouldn't like it for sports either because all of those were pushed heavily via marketing. There's also more money in it for the pro players if a company with the capital like Blizzard pushes it and that's a good thing for the players.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    Heroes and OW aren't cut out for esports either. They're in the same vein as Hearthstone—gameplay designed to marginalize player skill. Not to say that time spent practicing is entirely worthless, but that there is significant gameplay factors that seek to push outcomes towards 50/50 more-so than others.
    It also comes down to entertainment and what people will watch. HS is definitely a game people are watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    College athletic scholarships usually over a 100k+ college education(most actually being well north of 200k), room&board, free meals and free clothing. On top of that they get stipends for spending money. Far from peanuts my friend.

As far as esports are concerned, until the players unionize the game creators will remain the majority profit holder instead of getting near the 50/50 split you see in athletic sports.
    Please, most of those players courses are easy As just so they can play. Most, I bet, are banking on making it Pro.

http://shoryuken.com/2016/01/04/acti...f-video-games/

"Activision CEO on MLG Purchase: “I want to build the ESPN of video games.”"

After news broke on the acquisition last week, Activision Blizzard has released an official press briefing detailing their purchase of Major League Gaming. As many assumed, the publisher mentions being interested in MLG for their existing infrastructure, which will be used to support their future plans for competitive gaming.

What some missed, however, is just how far Activision is looking to push “eSports” outside its current niche. “I have a simple vision for this,” Activision CEO Bobby Kotick told The New York Times. “I want to build the ESPN of video games.”

MLG will remain the chief operator of MLG Pro Circuit and, contrary to previous reports, Sundance DiGiovanni is set to retain his role as CEO.

“The acquisition of MLG’s business is an important step towards Activision Blizzard Media Networks’ broader mission to bring esports into the mainstream by creating and broadcasting premium esports content, organizing global league play and expanding distribution with key gaming partners,” said MLG co-founder and current vice president of Activision Blizzard Media Networks.

While normally focused on games outside the fighting genre, MLG has previously hosted competition in Super Smash Bros. Melee, King of Fighters XIII, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Mortal Kombat, and more. The New York Times reports that MLG will continue to feature properties outside the Activision family, so all hope is not lost for future appearances by our community.

Deleted
    Header is a bit misleading. Sold were MLG assets. Name and a mostly useless shell remain for now.

Price was less than 1% of what was paid for Candy Crush maker King. This might be a serious investment. It doesn't have to be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    There's a ton of money in esports right now
    That's debatable. Apart from LoL and CS, viewer numbers are anemic; and MLG was burning money since the day it was founded - which might have to do with its former management.
    Last edited by mmocabce60bc47; 2016-01-05 at 11:05 AM.

Problem is, 95% of what they are being paid is in the form of a non-refundable education, which many of them rarely use anyways. You can go on for days talking about how important and useful education is, but bottom line is that if you're a D1 player on full scholarship (MOST are not on full scholarship, there are normally 12-25 scholarships total for an entire team), you are spending all of your time training. These players get private "tutors", relaxed workloads, and typically have throwaway majors where all classes just require them to show up.

So you can't just say "They make 35k/year" because they will never see any of that money. On top of that, the college benefits in the 10's of MILLIONS on these players by using their names, their likeness, etc after the player sign a waiver saying they will not accept any money whatsoever for their work. If you accept a single dollar for anything related to sports, you are out of the NCAA. It is total crap, and it is actually in the midst of being reworked so the players aren't taken advantage of.

Quote Originally Posted by MrExcelion View Post
    "Activision CEO on MLG Purchase: “I want to build the ESPN of video games.”"
    Yeah, I literally laughed out loud when I read that. Given the current state of ESPN with its declining revenue and layoffs, that's not really something to aspire to : 3

Yeah, I literally laughed out loud when I read that. Given the current state of ESPN with its declining revenue and layoffs, that's not really something to aspire to : 3
    Yeh cus im sure he means he wants to aspire to build a company on the decline, he couldnt possibly mean how ESPN was the face of real life sports or anything....

Ill hold my breath that they have non activision games.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Yeh cus im sure he means he wants to aspire to build a company on the decline, he couldnt possibly mean how ESPN was the face of real life sports or anything....

Ill hold my breath that they have non activision games.
    Don't see why they wouldn't. Money is money. Even if other companies' games are being showcased, Activision/Blizzard's branding will be all over everything, and they get their cut.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkisVir View Post
    Problem is, 95% of what they are being paid is in the form of a non-refundable education, which many of them rarely use anyways. You can go on for days talking about how important and useful education is, but bottom line is that if you're a D1 player on full scholarship (MOST are not on full scholarship, there are normally 12-25 scholarships total for an entire team), you are spending all of your time training. These players get private "tutors", relaxed workloads, and typically have throwaway majors where all classes just require them to show up.

So you can't just say "They make 35k/year" because they will never see any of that money. On top of that, the college benefits in the 10's of MILLIONS on these players by using their names, their likeness, etc after the player sign a waiver saying they will not accept any money whatsoever for their work. If you accept a single dollar for anything related to sports, you are out of the NCAA. It is total crap, and it is actually in the midst of being reworked so the players aren't taken advantage of.
    You have no clue what you're talking about.

My cousin is on a full athletic scholarship to Colorado. He gets $10k a year in stipend money on top of scholarship benefits. It's not being reworked it was already reworked years ago to give kids stipends but people like you that are clueless still don't realize they exist. Stipends replace the money they could earn in a part time job that they don't have the money for. So they get $10k in pure spending money each year because all of their living expenses are taken care of.

My alma mater the university of Michigan for example, the football team which I am a donor for has to set aside $1 million in funding for each player for their 4 years at the school and there are 85 guys on full scholarships at a time.

Educate yourself on maters before sounding like a blow hard.

You have no clue what you're talking about.

My cousin is on a full athletic scholarship to Colorado. He gets $10k a year in stipend money on top of scholarship benefits. It's not being reworked it was already reworked years ago to give kids stipends but people like you that are clueless still don't realize they exist. Stipends replace the money they could earn in a part time job that they don't have the money for. So they get $10k in pure spending money each year because all of their living expenses are taken care of.

My alma mater the university of Michigan for example, the football team which I am a donor for has to set aside $1 million in funding for each player for their 4 years at the school and there are 85 guys on full scholarships at a time.

Educate yourself on maters before sounding like a blow hard.
    While I'm glad to hear you've gained insight into the issue by second-hand knowledge, I speak from experience as a former NCAA national champion. The "stipend" you're talking about is basically a cost of living perk, that rarely exceeds $5,000. I know for a fact CU does not give stipends of $10,000 because a good friend of mine has a full scholarship there + COA stipend.

It is currently being reworked because the kids are paid nothing and NCAA + schools are profiting the billions. A simple google search would have shown you this, but I'll show you an article that puts it simply http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ncaa/13801277/

This is just the beginning, as that order has already been appealed by the NCAA because they don't want any of the athletes, who make up the NCAA, profit whatsoever. And to say they are profiting currently is a horrible overstatement, but you probably already know this because your… cousin was it? … is a division 1 athlete. Graduation rates for division 1 athletes are horrible. Employment opportunities for the 100's of students who are graduating with degrees in "general studies" is horrible. Programs routinely bunch athletes in the easiest most worthless majors so they stay eligible, and the NCAA chairman is praising them for it. But again, you knew this because of your cousin I'm sure.

Either way, it's up to you on whether or not you want to get informed about it. If you want to rely on shaky second-hand knowledge that's fine, but based on your previous post you're only looking for a fight so I'll leave the facts there and you can do with them what you will.

If you want to discuss the NCAA and scholarships, please take it to PM's or another forum. Let's keep things on topic : )

If you want to discuss the NCAA and scholarships, please take it to PM's or another forum. Let's keep things on topic : )
    Sorry about that I'm done now