Can someone please explain PvP rating system?

First time poster here and thought this would be good place to ask this.

I just stated getting into PvP and I've never done rated anything. I've collected full honor gear and a couple of conquest items, but before looking for partners though and/or battleground team, I was really hoping to have a solid grasp on the rating system, so at the very least I know what to expect when I start and what the consequences are if I lose and what I hope to gain if I win. (To be honest, I'm surprised this information doesn't exist in full detail anywhere, or at least, it's not easy to find detailed info that is current ... so that's why I'm here).

Some questions I have are.

1. What is personal rating vs MMR rating?

2. What is my personal rating and MMR rating before I start my first RBG or Arena?

3. How much does my rating go up for each win?

4. How much does it go down for each loss?

5. How does the rating system differ from Arena to RBG's?

6. Lets say I'm terrible and I lose my first 20 or 30 matches in a row ... I assume, my rating will be very low. Is there anyway to salvage that? Or will I be doomed with a low rating for the rest of the season?

Thanks all, any information is appreciated.
    Last edited by CullinPM; 2016-01-04 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CullinPM View Post
    1. What is personal rating vs MMR rating?

2. What is my personal rating and MMR rating before I start my first RBG or Arena?

3. How much does my rating go up for each win?

4. How much does it go down for each loss?

5. How does the rating system differ from Arena to RBG's?

6. Lets say I'm terrible and I lose my first 20 or 30 matches in a row ... I assume, my rating will be very low. Is there anyway to salvage that? Or will I be doomed with a low rating for the rest of the season?
    I am no authoritative poster, but I can fill in some blanks.

1.) Personal rating is just what rating you are at. This is what you gain when you win and lose when you lose. So when you look at your rating this is that number. This number is used to calculate your rankings and your epeen. MMR is the hidden rating that the game uses to match you up with opponents of equal skill. The more you win, the higher your MMR. This is independent of your PR and does not get wiped at the start of a season. Of note, I believe there is a boost to MMR if you go on a win streak.

2.) PR is set to zero at the start of each season, MMR I think is set at 1000 to start and adjusts as you win and lose.

3.) Depends on a few different variables. Your MMR in relation to your PR. Your MMR in relation to your opponents MMR. Your PR in relation to your opponents PR. So if you have an MMR of 2400 and a PR of 0 you gain massive PR for wins until your MMR and PR start to even out. If you have PR of 2400 and MMR of 1000 (no idea how this would happen) you will gain little to no PR for wins and lose massive PR for losses.

4.) While your PR is catching up with your MMR you gain big boosts and lose little. When your MMR and PR are close you gain little and lose a lot (relatively). MMR I believe goes up and down based on your wins and losses against your opponent's MMR. So if you have a low MMR and beat someone with a high MMR your MMR goes up. I think that when you go on a win streak you get a temporary boost to MMR to see if you need to jump MMR. So if you are playing at 1500 MMR and winning all your games you will get a temp boost. Continue winning and your MMR will settle. This is in place to keep you from having to duke it out in lower brackets to get to the opponents you need to be playing.

5.) Arena and RBG have different PR of course, but I am not sure if they have different MMR. (would make sense).

Hopefully someone with more experience or knowledge can correct any mistakes I may have.