Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    And police claim that a majority of them were armed and threatening when they were shot. Ie, shooting at police.
    FTFY.

When video evidence of the incidents is available, it has an unfortunate tendency to reveal that the police in question are lying.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Though interesting, I feel like the vast majority killed by police had it coming.

Not to say that the police don't kill people that DON't have it coming.

Foreign nations love to bash the US for its violence, because it makes them feel good about themselves. If you break down the homocide rate by race, though, you find that US Whites have a similar murder rate to European Whites. Of course, no one wants to talk about it because even though it might start leading to better solutions then "ban guns"

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htus8008.pdf

10+ Year Old Account
    For comparison, we had 26 die in the Britain during 2015, though not all of those were killed by the police deliberately, e.g. 3 died when they got run over by police cars in traffic accidents.

Adjusting for population differences, the British Police should have killed about 200 more people - the Old Bill are clearly slacking, I blame the Tory cuts. Bloody Thatcher!

Foreigners don't like our police.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    FTFY.

When video evidence of the incidents is available, it has an unfortunate tendency to reveal that the police in question are lying.
    No. You only see the videos of police brutality, because that's what the media wants you to see. They never show the police killing someone that had it coming.

FTFY.

I have a question for you. Do you believe that the majority of cases where a cop kills someone are justified or do you believe they lie in a majority of them?

7+ Year Old Account
    Please point to the bias.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Again, where exactly is the bias?
    I didn't meant that to sound "factual". It was more of an interpretation. The Guardian isn't exactly known for its objectivity, after all and it seems like a way to spin statistics to poke fun at U.S. Police when the reality is that most of the people on that list earned their lead. /shrug

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    It ignores context. When you say POLICE HAVE KILLED X PEOPLE. It makes the Police look like murderers, fitting the narrative of the left.

Meanwhile, how many of those X people were a legit threat or deserving of lethal force?
    Yeah... I think that is your own bias shining through there, buddy

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Foreigners don't like our police.
    Yeah, they don't like our so oppressed and fascist police.

(Never had a negative interaction with them. Was raised to show respect to cops. Shockingly, when I do that an am humble, they show me respect.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    I have a question for you. Do you believe that the majority of cases where a cop kills someone are justified or do you believe they lie in a majority of them?
    The former, but "majority" is not an acceptable margin of error.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

FTFY.

All police are lying, okay..

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah... I think that is your own bias shining through there, buddy
    Eh probably.

I will admit I think the left hates the police.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    I didn't meant that to sound "factual". It was more of an interpretation. The Guardian isn't exactly known for its objectivity, after all and it seems like a way to spin statistics to poke fun at U.S. Police when the reality is that most of the people on that list earned their lead. /shrug
    But those people were killed by police officers, justified or not that does not change that fact ¨

It is likely as objective as it gets.

- - - Updated - - -

Eh probably.

Some them likely do, some on the right likely does as well. I don't think the political ideology of either describes a disdain towards authorities like that (right might actually win that competition if one was to go try it).

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    For comparison, we had 26 die in the Britain during 2015, though not all of those were killed by the police deliberately, e.g. 3 died when they got run over by police cars in traffic accidents.
    Britain is the size of like West Virginia, so you can't stab someone without 500 people seeing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

7+ Year Old Account
    But those people were killed by police officers, justified or not that does not change that fact ¨

It is likely as objective as it gets.
    Meh. The statistics are objective, the delivery not so much. But then semantics, etc, so.

Deleted
    Eh probably.

While I can't speak on behalf of all left-leaning people, I feel a need to point out that I don't hate the police. What I hate, is people in positions of authority being given a blank cheque to abuse that authority as it suits them. If someone dies, you should be held to account. If it's justified (as the vast majority of these deaths will be) then so be it.

But holding the police as an infallible beacon of justice where they never do wrong? gtfo. They're as human as the rest of us, and just as prone to errors in judgment. Shining a spotlight on the cold hard data only shows monsters where monsters there are.

Further proof, Context,circumstances,evidence,facts are not needed.

Here is your gasoline, just need one hothead/anti cop,authority etc. and we can all have a lovely world burning bon fire,keep us all warm

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Meh. The statistics are objective, the delivery not so much. But then semantics, etc, so.
    Well as I have already mentioned to another poster, careful that your own bias don't shine through. I do agree that a better and more informative database would also include whether or not the criminal was a danger to the police officer, and that would purely be decided by what the courts had ruled on the subject, but even then that could be perceived as bias (there have been case that are questionable in their rulings).
    In the end, people already have their opinions, and they'll use whatever backs them and deny all that doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by Vasher View Post
    While I can't speak on behalf of all left-leaning people, I feel a need to point out that I don't hate the police. What I hate, is people in positions of authority being given a blank cheque to abuse that authority as it suits them. If someone dies, you should be held to account. If it's justified (as the vast majority of these deaths will be) then so be it.

But holding the police as an infallible beacon of justice where they never do wrong? gtfo. They're as human as the rest of us, and just as prone to errors in judgment. Shining a spotlight on the cold hard data only shows monsters where monsters there are.
    Last bit...or that humans are going to be humans no matter how high a standard you hold them to? Because if you are saying you would do ANY better as a cop....that is a very large gauntlet to throw down when you have zero intention of honoring the challenge.
    There is no action a human can take that is "inhuman" ...to butcher Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post

Adjusting for population differences, the British Police should have killed about 200 more people - the Old Bill are clearly slacking, I blame the Tory cuts. Bloody Thatcher!
    http://imgur.com/gallery/QvsQNaY In some(/a lot of) cases it wouldn't be bad if they were more like their American cousins