Poll: Should we be able to talk about everything?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    I'm pretty sure saying "most people in jail are black" is factually wrong.

Although it's all about using statistics correctly and understanding that correlation does not prove causation.
    Actually 40% of the prison population are black. 39% white, 19% hispanic. ~2% other. Probably bronies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Arguing that the police target blacks rather than the possibility that blacks are more prone to criminal acts is also racist.
    No it's not.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Arguing that the police target blacks rather than the possibility that blacks are more prone to criminal acts is also racist.
    Actually it's not. It's examining a possible cause. And in some instances (NYC), was actually shown to be true.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    You have freedom of speech. This doesn't mean that you won't be called out for spouting BS.

Your examples are largely BS. You weren't called racist because you mentioned that more blacks are in jail than everyone else. Technically, you aren't correct. The number of prisoners in jail is actually mostly white (58.7% of all prisoners - https://www.bop.gov/about/statistics...nmate_race.jsp )...however, the percentage of black citizens in jail is higher than the percentage of white citizens. The same is actually true for people getting government assistance...most are white, but a larger percentage of black citizens get government assistance.

The biggest problem with being anti-PC is that you aren't actually spouting the truth the vast majority of the time. Anti-PC people are almost always pushing simple minded bigotry. Anti-PC says "Black people are thugs"...and that isn't the truth...most black people are fine, upstanding citizens. Anti-PC says "Women can't do math"...and that isn't the truth...most women do math just fine.

You are free to speak the truth. The problem with the anti-PC crowd is that they don't really fully understand what the truth is.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    You have freedom of speech. This doesn't mean that you won't be called out for spouting BS.

Your examples are largely BS. You weren't called racist because you mentioned that more blacks are in jail than everyone else. Technically, you aren't correct. The number of prisoners in jail is actually mostly white (58.7% of all prisoners - https://www.bop.gov/about/statistics...nmate_race.jsp )...however, the percentage of black citizens in jail is higher than the percentage of white citizens. The same is actually true for people getting government assistance...most are white, but a larger percentage of black citizens get government assistance.

The biggest problem with being anti-PC is that you aren't actually spouting the truth the vast majority of the time. Anti-PC people are almost always pushing simple minded bigotry. Anti-PC says "Black people are thugs"...and that isn't the truth...most black people are fine, upstanding citizens. Anti-PC says "Women can't do math"...and that isn't the truth...most women do math just fine.

You are free to speak the truth. The problem with the anti-PC crowd is that they don't really fully understand what the truth is.
    Hispanics are lumped in with white people in those statistics but the OP stats are way off.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Actually 40% of the prison population are black. 39% white, 19% hispanic. ~2% other. Probably bronies.
    So I was right, most people in jail are in fact, not black.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually it's not. It's examining a possible cause. And in some instances (NYC), was actually shown to be true.
    Or Alabama.

http://henrycountyreport.com/blog/20...ska-complicit/

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post

But they want to shut down all argument by dismissing any legitimate criticism of their opinion as "PC censoring".
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That there are more black people in jail, proportionally, is not itself racist.

Arguing that they're in jail because blacks are more prone to being criminals, though, is.
    In that case it seems the only allowed explanation is that blacks are more prone to be in jail because of a racist criminal system, instead of looking at other factors: poverty, lack of father-figures (in part due to the males being in jail), history of slavery, or something else.

If there were a "crime gene" and it varied among populations (which I don't see any evidence for and in most cases it would be a combination of nature and nurture), I don't see that it would be racist in itself - but would depend on how we act, e.g. western Jews are more prone to some specific brain-disease (Tay-Sachs) - Israel screens it population, white males are more prone to be color-blind - programs (such as WoW) are made so that color-blind people can use them, and alcoholism is partially explained by racial factors - and is often seen as a disease not a fault of character.

Quote Originally Posted by kaze950 View Post
    It's not racist to say that most of the people in jail in USA are black. It's racist to say, for example. that because of this statistic it is right to presume a black person will be a criminal, or that the statistic proves black people in the USA are more likely to be criminals, which it doesn't (it only proves the effect, not the cause). Most of the time, in my experience, people don't "tell the truth" just to give a lesson in facts, but to prove a point, which may or may not be tinted by racism.
    True, "tell the truth" is rarely a code-word for judging people by their character and not by the color of their skin.
    Last edited by Forogil; 2016-01-07 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Lol yeah... Alabama... I just assumed people would just know that their police force is racist!

So I was right, most people in jail are in fact, not black.
    I guess it depends how you word it. The largest population by race are black. But you're actually right that most people in jail are "not black" as the other groups combined make a larger number.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    In that case it seems the only allowed explanation is that blacks are more prone to be in jail because of a racist criminal system, instead of looking at other factors: poverty, lack of father-figures (in part due to the males being in jail), history of slavery, or something else.

If there were a "crime gene" and it varied among populations (which I don't see any evidence for and in most cases it would be a combination of nature and nurture), I don't see that it would be racist in itself - but would depend on how we act, e.g. western Jews are more prone to some specific brain-disease (Tay-Sachs) - Israel screens it population, white males are more prone to be color-blind - programs (such as WoW) are made so that color-blind people can use them, and alcoholism is partially explained by racial factors - and is often seen as a disease not a fault of character.

True, "tell the truth" is rarely a code-word for judging people by their character and not by the color of their skin.
    Well its a little of all of the above. While black people are more likely to be in poverty, and impovershed people seem to be more prone to crime, it's also been shown that black people recieve harsher sentences for similar crimes and are more likely to be prosecuted for a crime. So all of the above actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    I guess it depends how you word it. The largest population by race are black. But you're actually right that most people in jail are "not black" as the other groups combined make a larger number.
    It's all about the wording and being correct. It's a plurality, not a majority.

Although that really surprises me. Your numbers breaks down white/latino. They must have combined them deliberately.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    It is now wrong to tell truth about some things?

I'll give an example:
    I say that most of the people in jail in USA are black. (well, not sure about now, but it was)
    And people start to call me racist, though I have right:

Sources:
    http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=2200
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bureau...ice_Statistics
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarc...n2009tables-46
    (I even received an infraction on this forum because that)

Or another example:
    I say that female genital mutilation is dangerous and some women doesn't even have a chance to say "NO!" and they're forcing them to do it, even if it's very painful and sometimes they're doing that without any anesthetics.
    People call me bigot or narrow-minded because I don't understand other people culture.

If someone don't know what female genital mutilation is then here it is:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_genital_mutilation

We have no right for freedom of speech now?
    Just incase if someone didn't understood - I don't mean this forum only, I mean everywhere(TV, Internet, Radio, other media, etc.).

Note to moderator(s): It's possible to change turth to truth in the title?
    No, here is what actually happens::

You say most people in prison are black and then make racist CONCLUSIONS based on that information. Then people call you racist. It isn't the data. It is the argument you make with that data.

people blame political corectness for everytthing horrible now
    Starbucks cups not having nativity scenes, even though they still had their own blend called CRHISTMAS blend. so anti pc crowd fake there
    in heroes of the storm when they removed tychus cigar everybody blamed political corctness, turned out it was to comply with chinas laws, and if you dont know china is not very popular with the PC crowd.
    Oh yeah and of course one of the more frequent complaints on the internet among gamers, is they cant get good looking females because political correctness makes them fat!!, no you're probably just not nice and alot of females don't like you but you feel entitled to anyone you want.
    Oh yeah they blame terrorism on political corectness, im sure when our government arms the saudis there thinking you know what lets give them all of these weapons to show our appreciation to the culture, no they give them the weapons because of money and geopolitics idiots!!

It's all about the wording and being correct. It's a plurality, not a majority.

Although that really surprises me. Your numbers breaks down white/latino. They must have combined them deliberately.
    My numbers are from:
    http://www.prisonpolicy.org/reports/rates.html

Just the first thing I saw but the numbers were consistent with my pre-conceived opinions. :P

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post

Just doing God's work. Carry on.
    This so much. People really dont understand what free speech is. If you were able to say it, you have free speech. Free speech includes the right to disagree with someone, regardless of who is wrong.

In my state, blacks are 10x more likely to be in jail than whites. That's some scary shit. Even scarier, 1 in 25 blacks are currently in prison. Holy shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    These days we can not say or write something without hurting someone's feelings or being politically incorrect about something. Where is the freedom of speech?
    Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos was the game that brought me into gaming. I was 17 years old then, I abhorred gaming before this game. From then on, I became a fan of Warcraft and Blizzard. To see it all go down the drain like this is truly sad for me. No king rules forever but at least some of them went down in history as real badasses. I hoped Blizzard and Warcraft would be one of them but it is no longer possible.

In my state, blacks are 10x more likely to be in jail than whites. That's some scary shit. Even scarier, 1 in 25 blacks are currently in prison. Holy shit.
    It is scary how obsessive and destructive the government's policies have been towards black people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BrintoSFJ View Post
    These days we can not say or write something without hurting someone's feelings or being politically incorrect about something. Where is the freedom of speech?
    You don't have a right to not offend anyone. That isn't what freedom of speech is.

Deleted
    Most of them are black. But they're not in jail BECAUSE theyre black.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    You don't have a right to not offend anyone. That isn't what freedom of speech is.
    You can offend anyone you like. Doing it often and with malicious intent is called harassment, though. That's illegal.