Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Horrible Mistake, not sure what to do.

Hi everyone, I've just started my first co-op/internship as a computer science major, doing software engineering. Unfortunately, I'm MISERABLE. I hate every second of it. I dread going to work. I feel depressed once I'm out of it, and I'm now terrified. I'm worried that I made a huge mistake picking computer science, and that while I like problem solving and computers, there's nothing about specifically programming or CS that I actually like, and the corporate environment is complete misery to me. I'm good at CS, but I'm a 29 year old student and I'm towards the end of my degree. I have no idea what to do, and I have no idea what I'm going to try to do from here on. Does anyone have insight into something like this?

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    ITT Tech is waiting.

In all seriousness though, just tough it out and get your degree IMO. What I have found is that having a degree in hand is more important than what the degree is. You tough it out, get your degree, and then find a job that you like doing. Real world experience in a field is far more important than having a degree in that specific field.
    Last edited by Zenotetsuken; 2016-01-08 at 06:01 AM.

Be glad you found out now? Some people follow the carrot on a stick for decades only to realize it was never what they wanted. Your degree will most likely open many doors not just the subject it's pertaining too, but you haven't really elaborated on your situation. If you need a job to survive you may have to do it for a while, and don't feel like it's some big uncommon mistake. This is very common. People change career focuses at all different ages.

Just because you get a degree in Computer Science doesn't mean you're locked in to a job of programming for the rest of your life. That degree will open many doors for you, and while it kind of pushes you toward software engineering, that's not your only option. Hell, I know a guy who got an electrical engineering degree and is a financial analyst now.

I don't have any insights into the IT sector. But remember that things like your collegues and the culture/atmosphere at a company can have a huge impact on wether or not your happy at a certain company.

Some people switch jobs within the same sector quite a few times before they find a place they want to stay longterm.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Use the Corporate environment to your advantage. Use it as motivation to rise through the ranks until you are earning that Mo' Money.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Hi everyone, I've just started my first co-op/internship as a computer science major, doing software engineering. Unfortunately, I'm MISERABLE. I hate every second of it. I dread going to work. I feel depressed once I'm out of it, and I'm now terrified. I'm worried that I made a huge mistake picking computer science, and that while I like problem solving and computers, there's nothing about specifically programming or CS that I actually like, and the corporate environment is complete misery to me. I'm good at CS, but I'm a 29 year old student and I'm towards the end of my degree. I have no idea what to do, and I have no idea what I'm going to try to do from here on. Does anyone have insight into something like this?
    First, take a deep breath for a moment. Have you enjoyed the course work, mostly? Have you enjoyed the kind of puzzle-solving challenges and have you had some success? If so, then let me tell you that I work as a software engineer, and I absolutely HATED one of my jobs but I've LOVED the others. Where you work, for whom you work, and with whom you work are as important as the job itself. It could just be the company.

Whatever you do don't drop out, finish the degree your going for.

Quote Originally Posted by Manhands View Post
    First, take a deep breath for a moment. Have you enjoyed the course work, mostly? Have you enjoyed the kind of puzzle-solving challenges and have you had some success? If so, then let me tell you that I work as a software engineer, and I absolutely HATED one of my jobs but I've LOVED the others. Where you work, for whom you work, and with whom you work are as important as the job itself. It could just be the company.
    I guess I enjoy working wiht computers. I enjoy problem solving. Bu honestly, there are other science courses that I like learning about much better. I don't want to work in a corporate environment at all is one thing I'm learning about this first co-op. I feel so out of place. It's soul crushing and horrible for me.

Those skills are transferrable to a lot of different industries. Try to figure out what you DO want to do. Maybe talk to recruiters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

This is why I ended up going into Business Informatics. Two things have good career outlooks (among others) which would be business/management and IT. My mother is in automation and programming and kept pushing me into it, but I never was a fan of CS, love business and the like, though. So I was advised at my school to take the BI route, and so far I don't regret it. I'd still like to pick up some programming one day on my own, simply because of a sense of self equity, but I'm very glad I didn't go straight CS, and while I don't normally think much about going for some "hybrid" degree, I'm fairly happy about the BI route I took. Maybe that's something to look into. Maybe not.

Just don't do something silly. Take it from me, let your artistic hobbies remain hobbies. I wasted a bit of my life thinking I'd do something with art. I'd might have been able to, but reality kicked in and I realized it was not worth it, and I started to hate my hobbies when they became work.

Take that all with a grain of salt, but essentially, maybe you can change and salvage some of your degree for another, just don't go full-crazy and pick up something that's going to just act as a debt booster.

What do people with history majors do?

They use their proof of big-brainedness (aka their degree) to prove to employers outside of that field that they are worth employing.

Some degrees lend themselves more a a specific career path, but none of them lock you in.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenotetsuken View Post
    ITT Tech is waiting.

In all seriousness though, just tough it out and get your degree IMO. What I have found is that having a degree in hand is more important than what the degree is. You tough it out, get your degree, and then find a job that you like doing. Real world experience in a field is far more important than having a degree in that specific field.
    Great answer. I agree. Finish your degree and then see what else is out there.

Yea what others have already said. Worst thing you can do is to drop out. Finish the degree, you can work as whatever you want to afterwards. A degree will also open doors to any reschooling you want to do.

Greetings from the adult world.
    Most Americans hate their jobs. Do you know why? Neither does anyone else. Sometimes, making the money you want to make, living in the parts of the world you want to live, and doing the things you want to do in life require you to to do some pretty unlikable stuff.
    Get your degree. Apply for jobs you think you'll like. Hope, wish, and pray you get lucky. If not, welcome to the grind. And if you're going to grind, you might as well make some damn good money for your misery.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Finish your degree, seriously. Even if you want to seek a carreer outside of your field, having a degree of that sort at least sends a good signal to potential employers.

Get the degree. Swapping fields is not that hard. It also may be the company you are at and the fact you are a scrublord intern.

Relax. You sound like an 18 year old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    No she shouldn't be removed she is an elected official and hasn't broken any laws just hurt some people's feelings.

Deleted
    Maybe you would enjoy working as a system admin or network tech instead? Loads of problem solving and a generally chill working atmosphere. We system techs are a pretty laid back bunch.

Also with a degree in CS people will know you are smart.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Finish your degree, worse than working a bad job with degree is no job and no degree. I am curious though, why didn't you just train something related to IT first and go studying CS afterwards? That way you'd have at least saved yourself the misery of doing what you dislike (programming) despite liking the overall subject. You'd have possibly also saved the need for an internship too. Anyways, your degree is, with the exception of teaching professions, not necessarily relevant to the job. My brother has a major in geology and is working as full-time app and web developer now.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!