Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Those new Occulus things you have to wear on your eyes, so the screen is right on your eyes pretty much, and that sounds painful. I like having my screen far away cos otherwise my eyes hurt.

Moving around to play a videogame? Bleeehhhhh who wants that REALLY?

Unless we get to the stage where, not to sound typical here or anything, we can have a system like in Sword Art Online where your brain waves are being sent into a computer avatar and you can feel everything you're doing THEN I will be interested. And as a plus it wouldn't alienate the physically disabled as your body would be still, it's just your mind in a computer body...which would be awesome and totally sci-fi

10+ Year Old Account
    I think VR will eventually lead to a compromise between existing controller methods into something we don't have currently. The Wii/Kinect controllers are too active and imprecise, most people just want to relax after their work/school day, not get more activity. Mouse/keyboard aren't really ergonomic and will often lead to RSI and similar health problems. Console controllers are somewhere in between, btu are too basic, since they have few buttons and demand you use both hands on 1 controller.

What we need is a controller type that is split in 2 parts and allows us to have seperate interaction with both hands, gives us a reasonable amount of buttons like a keyboard/mouse combo would, and works in a vaguely Wii/kinect type way where moving them in certain ways helps in manipulating what happens on screen. Something that you can hold in your lap or hold out in front of you slightly, making for a far better ergonomic way to handle input devices.

Given such a development, I think VR will most definitely be the future, and I can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post

What we need is a controller type that is split in 2 parts and allows us to have seperate interaction with both hands, gives us a reasonable amount of buttons like a keyboard/mouse combo would, and works in a vaguely Wii/kinect type way where moving them in certain ways helps in manipulating what happens on screen. Something that you can hold in your lap or hold out in front of you slightly, making for a far better ergonomic way to handle input devices.
    I don't really see many possibilities here. At best, when we want immersive controls while still being couch potatoes and don't get highly precise sci-fi tech anytime soon, we are left with something like a controller/glove hybrid (like a controller/keyboard in one hand and a glove for manipulation of the virtual world. But the past has shown that such things are extremely difficult to develop a proper interface for. Unless MS improves the kinect by 1 or 2 orders of magnitude to make it actually usable I don't have much hope here.. but I would really like to start flinging spells around with my hands :P.

The best solution will essentially be a full neural interface..

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAwXhbYM-UE
    The 2nd part is also why you won't have to fear it for quite some time OP.

15+ Year Old Account
    As a lot of others has already mentioned, I don't think it will take the market you are thinking of. I think a lot of people into gaming prefer just using their head to play(as in sitting still, at most just clicking buttons). Getting physical is not likely to be well recieved by people who aren't into physical activities from before. Not saying gamers aren't into using their body, just using lack of interest in physical activities as an example, alongside simply wanting to sit down and just use your head rather than your body to have fun from time to time. Options are good however.

I was taught that things that don't affect my experience don't negatively impact me.
    Like movies that I would never watch anyway.
    Or gay marriage.
    The infinitude if games I will never play because I'm colorblind
    Or the market of games that I would not play if I was disabled in any other way.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I couldn't care less about disabled people not being able to play video games the way the majority of people does, kinda comes with the disability. It's normal. Especially if you present it as dilemma: advancement of gaming vs disabled people. I'm all for advancement. Humanity shouldn't suffer because of unlucky few.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amber Lemur View Post
    Those new Occulus things you have to wear on your eyes, so the screen is right on your eyes pretty much, and that sounds painful. I like having my screen far away cos otherwise my eyes hurt.
    The occulus screen is doubtfully like any other screen. I don't think you can compare the two. I haven't tried, but I just don't see how they could be the same, when one is to have very close to your eyes, while the other is designed for you to have further away.

I'd love for it to catch on and make a huge leap (b4 i'm to old to enjoy it) I mean i'd love to come home and be like man i should go for a run, logs into WoW, fly to Elwynn Forest and go for a jog as my toon while running in real life as well, in a human hamster wheel, yes plz.

I get it would alienate some people so it would need to work with no VR set ups.

(perfect world we would have holidecks...)
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    Question: How well do VR headsets work when you wear glasses?

How do we feel about handicapped gamers when it comes to gamers with one hand that can't use a controller? The Vr is just an engineering problem that needs some creative solutions to make it easier, cheaper, and better than it is now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone who hopes for VR technology to tank - wishes for disabled people to never enjoy thought controlled gaming.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Question: How well do VR headsets work when you wear glasses?
    Samsung's one apparently not so well (the lenses don't properly support it afaik). I would hope that the oculus rift has fixed that to some degree for the current price tag of 500+ toy money, though they're still in the pre-order phase with it..
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2016-01-09 at 02:15 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Because a number of VR technology is moving towards human movement as the controller e.g. physically walking, jumping etc
    I agree but as with everything, you can rely on human laziness to put a hard limit on how much physicality humans will put into their gaming.

Simply put, for every person willing/wanting to run around in VR call of duty, there's 10 who want to sit on their ass and relax.

Because a number of VR technology is moving towards human movement as the controller e.g. physically walking, jumping etc
    VR could still allow for input via a controller. I think the Occulus ships with a PS4 controller, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    VR could still allow for input via a controller. I think the Occulus ships with a PS4 controller, for example.
    Almost, it's an xbone controller. Sony is working on their own thing. I just hope they gave thought to some common interface or we will end up with 10 different formats for the damn things.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

First off, we're decades away from anything good and real enough. Second, it will take even further for it to reach 'mainstream' prices that masses can afford. Third, it will be a niche system that might work on some specific titles\games, but will most likely feel weird or awkward on others.

I think it's just another hyped up fad that won't last long (as it is right now), and if anything, it will take a long time to reach the 'amazing' level that you imagine, or see in futuristic movies.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    How do we feel about handicapped gamers when it comes to gamers with one hand that can't use a controller? The Vr is just an engineering problem that needs some creative solutions to make it easier, cheaper, and better than it is now.
    I currently game one handed using on-screen keyboards and voice recognition

7+ Year Old Account
    I fail to see how VR could alienate gamers, disabled or otherwise. I doubt it will ever be "mainstream" to the point that it's a requirement to play games.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2016-01-09 at 04:18 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I couldn't care less about disabled people not being able to play video games the way the majority of people does, kinda comes with the disability. It's normal. Especially if you present it as dilemma: advancement of gaming vs disabled people. I'm all for advancement. Humanity shouldn't suffer because of unlucky few.
    I think you underestimate just how many disabled people game and how much money they bring in... However it wouldn't just affect disabled people but whatever

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you underestimate just how many disabled people game and how much money they bring in... However it wouldn't just affect disabled people but whatever
    No I don't. There are plenty of people with disabilities, because a disability is a very broad term. But we are talking about the specific kind of disabled people - the ones whose disability is detrimental to physical gaming. Who are also gamers. This kind of disabled people is rare.