Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

When is it appropriate to say that word?

I am a caucazoid and like many Caucasians I often find myself enjoying urban music. Most recently I found myself enjoying the latest offering from Dr. Dre "compton". I was rather caught up in it and found myself singing along. Their is of course frequent use a particular slur that has some racially charged overtones. The "n" word. The question I have and this is directed mostly at African members of our community, is it appropriate for me to sing or rap the the "n" word in any context? Would you personally be offended if friends of other ethnicities would sing or tap lyrics expressing that word? Is their a social convention around that particular word and if so what is appropriate and what isn't?

All day long.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

N word = Naked? I see no problem
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    You mean saying nigger? Say it whenever you feel like it.

Not going to lie, when I do Boys in the Hood by Dynamite Hack (the cover) at karaoke, this crosses my mind.

Think the key is avoiding the hard r.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean if you're alone and want to sing the word along to a song sure go ahead not like anybody would know. If you're with some black friends you may want to test the waters but if they're truly your friends I doubt they'll think you singing along to the sing is malicious.

10+ Year Old Account
    They always give me that crap that it isn't the word "ni**er" but the word "niggah"

Yet, I always hear the hard R in rap songs, so they need to stfu. Either decide of the word is a slur or not, ffs.

Putin khuliyo

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Reminds me of an interview with Samuel L. Jackson

Deleted
    Aslong as you don't use it to insult a person or a group of people then I don't see no harm in using it.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MSrTnWDTdwI
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    All day long.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2016-01-08 at 10:30 PM.

I won't say it at work or around work people or employees... but I personally wouldn't see a problem with singing along in a song. But I'm not black so there is that.

No idea. I remember reading Huck Finn in school. Every time one of the students would come to the 'n-word' they'd all glance around nervously for a few minutes like they were expecting to be tackled.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    I mean if you're alone and want to sing the word along to a song sure go ahead not like anybody would know. If you're with some black friends you may want to test the waters but if they're truly your friends I doubt they'll think you singing along to the sing is malicious.
    I asked a couple of my black friends once. They were actually more offended that I asked them. They advised me that what really drove them nuts was when people would skip over that word.

You can get beat up dropping the N bomb. Or shot.

But you're free to say it, the state won't arrest you.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Blomster View Post
    You mean saying nigger? Say it whenever you feel like it.
    FYI, Black people don't use the word nigger. So saying it will make you look more like a douche. But with that said, Blomster's got it. Fuck it, say it; see what happens. Live life; say nigga; be merry.
    Last edited by King Shark; 2016-01-08 at 10:32 PM.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

I hate the idea of "forbidden words". Should be able to say whatever the fuck you want. And if you aren't using it to directly insult someone why would they care anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    FYI, Black people don't use the word nigger. So saying it will make you look more like a douche. But with that said, Blomster's got it. Fuck it, say it; see what happens.
    Black people use the word all the time.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    FYI, Black people don't use the word nigger. So saying it will make you look more like a douche. But with that said, Blomster's got it. Fuck it, say it; see what happens. Live life; say nigga; be merry.
    Uh, yes the fuck they do.

10+ Year Old Account
    They say "nigga" as opposed to "nigger"

Quote Originally Posted by babalou1 View Post
    Uh, yes the fuck they do.
    No. We don't. And the fact you didn't get what I meant, is one of the reasons white folk always get in trouble with that word.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.