Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Setsuna, new RPG by Tokyo RPG Factory.

So this game was teased some while back, but now we have a site up, with characters and a trailer.
    Getting published by Squeenix, being released 02.18.16 in Japan for PS4 and Vita.

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/setsuna/
    ATB is back, character's have beautiful designs, and don't even get me started on the music we have been teased with already.

It almost seems like an Chrono Trigger or Legend of Heroes spiritual sequel to me, overall it looks just absolutely gorgeous.
    Music almost reminds me of Leene's square theme.

My only issue with the game is lack of world diversity as everything is snowy.

But yes, Tokyo RPG Factory was a good move by SE. Making old school RPGs that people want on reasonable budgets. I think they will end up pushing out quite a number of RPGs this gen based on how fast they where able to get Setsuna done.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Yeah I'd want to see a lot more of the world before I plunge into this type of game. I'm already starting to feel disappointed with JRPGs in the last few years on the newer systems. Record of Agarest series was underwhelming graphically for the systems it came on, Omega Qunitent on PS4 feels like a ps3 game at best in many ways, too many cut corners on animations for cut scenes and the like.

Just has felt like a real lack of good RPGs in general of late, I'm still waiting for something worthy to come out on the PS4.

10+ Year Old Account
    It really is like Chrono trigger in a sense. Like the Chrono Trigger you can use 2 or 3 party members to attack.
    You can increase your power of your action with a well timed button press ala Super Mario RPG it seems.

I love how the main character doesn't even have a name. It's more than likely there's no VA.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    It really is like Chrono trigger in a sense. Like the Chrono Trigger you can use 2 or 3 party members to attack.
    You can increase your power of your action with a well timed button press ala Super Mario RPG it seems.

I love how the main character doesn't even have a name. It's more than likely there's no VA.
    Well, Tokyo RPG Factory is a completely new developer, so i don't expect some grand adventure out of the game.
    But judging from what i have seen so far of this game, they have a bright future, they can become pretty big.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you look at the montage at the end there are more than a few non snowy areas. I think all the screens they were showing us were from the same zone, so that's why they were so similar.

That out of the way... FUCKING YYEESS!!!! Looks awesome, can't wait. I knew I had good reason to be hyped about Toyko RPG Factory.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    If you look at the montage at the end there are more than a few non snowy areas. I think all the screens they were showing us were from the same zone, so that's why they were so similar.

That out of the way... FUCKING YYEESS!!!! Looks awesome, can't wait. I knew I had good reason to be hyped about Toyko RPG Factory.
    A few non snowy areas? You mean icy areas? Or do you mean the world map?

The game is based in a snowy/icy kingdom. It is the entire theme of the game. Could still be excellent but I would always prefer more diversity in my JRPGs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Turns out what I thought was a non snowy area was actually just a snowy area with a sepia filter

Fair point, I agree that in generally you need some map diversity or it gets dull... But if as you say the theme of the game is a snowy/icy kingdom, then you've got to kinda accept it.

Hopefully the NEXT game they make will have a move diverse tileset.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

7+ Year Old Account
    Hmm looks nice but indeed the snow and ice will be boring if thats all you get and I am not a fan of a nameless and voiceless protaganist that you cannot customize yourself but if you love stuff like that good for you.

Some of the concept art, which is what they teased us with back at, E3 was it?
    Some time ago atleast.

Last edited by Strangebrew; 2016-01-11 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    Some of the concept art, which what they teased with back at, E3 was it?
    Some time ago atleast.
    Those pictures looks amazing, whoah. So does the game. Excited for a Worldwide release.

Quote Originally Posted by TitanBread View Post
    Hmm looks nice but indeed the snow and ice will be boring if thats all you get and I am not a fan of a nameless and voiceless protaganist that you cannot customize yourself but if you love stuff like that good for you.
    In a JRPG there is no single protagonist, the party is the protagonist. If the entire party is mute you may have a point, but pretty sure they're not.

7+ Year Old Account
    In a JRPG there is no single protagonist, the party is the protagonist. If the entire party is mute you may have a point, but pretty sure they're not.
    Fair enough if it can work with a silent protagonist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    ATB / Roundbased games are my games i am so excited i miss so much such kind of games in this days where action adventure /shooters are the norm. I hope they make more of this Jrpgs again with ATB and this Beeeeeutiful graphics/music.
    Indeed. I died a little inside when I found out FFXV wasn't going to be Turn/ATB based

I'm really hoping that Tokyo RPG Factory sticks to it's roots, leaves Square to "push the envelope" and try new things, while they crank out an unbroken, unending steam of high quality old school turn/ATB based RPG's.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Indeed. I died a little inside when I found out FFXV wasn't going to be Turn/ATB based

I'm really hoping that Tokyo RPG Factory sticks to it's roots, leaves Square to "push the envelope" and try new things, while they crank out an unbroken, unending steam of high quality old school turn/ATB based RPG's.
    Square owns the studio and started it. Tokyo RPG Factory IS square. There is no "leaving" them. Like you do realize the studio was started BY square for the very purpose of creating ATB JRPGs on a budget right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not available for PS3 or PC, too bad

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Not available for PS3 or PC, too bad
    PSTVs can be had for $40 or less and play Vita games my dude.

Deleted
    Looks nice, if it will be released in the west it would be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Totikki View Post
    Looks nice, if it will be released in the west it would be even better.
    It was announced for the west at e3 in it's initial review.

How long after the Japanese version though? Otherwise I may just import it. And if the PS4 and Vita versions will look the same, seems it would be better to get it for Vita so I can play it on Vita or PSTV.