High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Pop-up adds on phones.

The last 4-5 months, I've been getting a ton of pop-up adds on almost every web page I visit. I recently tried factory resetting my phone, (did not download any new apps) and the first web page I went to, I had a pop-up within 5 seconds.

I wonder if anyone has found a solution to this, or anything?

The phone in question, is Huawei P8, Android OS. I live with 5 other people, who all experience this, even on iPhone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Install an ad blocker?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tried that, did not help. Tried the standard browser, Chrome and Firefox, they all have the same problem. Tried antivirus programs, they detect nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by abb93 View Post
    The last 4-5 months, I've been getting a ton of pop-up adds on almost every web page I visit. I recently tried factory resetting my phone, (did not download any new apps) and the first web page I went to, I had a pop-up within 5 seconds.

I wonder if anyone has found a solution to this, or anything?

The phone in question, is Huawei P8, Android OS. I live with 5 other people, who all experience this, even on iPhone.
    Edit never mind just saw your reply

- - - Updated - - -

Tried that, did not help. Tried the standard browser, Chrome and Firefox, they all have the same problem. Tried antivirus programs, they detect nothing.
    Is it certain sites or all sites? would test it on my phone

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... there are unfortunately some nasty malware programs out there for Android these days. It is possible you have one of them. They often nestle into the OS space in the storage and are subsequently very hard to remove.

You're not giving enough information to really diagnose the problem, but since it's a Huawei phone can we assume you got it while traveling abroad? Is it possible you went to a app store other then Google's at some point?

Here's what seems at first glance to be a reasonable writeup of the issue. Though I did not vet it too throughly.
    http://www.techtimes.com/articles/10...-shiftybug.htm
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Is it certain sites or all sites? would test it on my phone
    So far, more or less every site I enter, directs me to a pop-up, which takes me away from the site I was supposed to go to, and I can't just go back to it, the add "locks" on the screen.

One of the sites I use the most, is a local newspaper, www.bt.no, which shouldn't really give pop-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Well... there are unfortunately some nasty malware programs out there for Android these days. It is possible you have one of them. They often nestle into the OS space in the storage and are subsequently very hard to remove.

You're not giving enough information to really diagnose the problem, but since it's a Huawei phone can we assume you got it while traveling abroad? Is it possible you went to a app store other then Google's at some point?

Here's what seems at first glance to be a reasonable writeup of the issue. Though I did not vet it too throughly.
    http://www.techtimes.com/articles/10...-shiftybug.htm
    Only downloaded apps from google store, so yeah...
    Last edited by abb93; 2016-01-11 at 06:52 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Some sites also allow pop up advertising. Mmo-champion is one of them. Right now, mmo-champion would like you to know you've been selected to test the new iphone 7. I can't speak to why you are experiencing it on so many sites, but it is possible a few that you visit are allowing these ads.

So far, more or less every site I enter, directs me to a pop-up, which takes me away from the site I was supposed to go to, and I can't just go back to it, the add "locks" on the screen.

One of the sites I use the most, is a local newspaper, www.bt.no, which shouldn't really give pop-ups.
    I browsed it, no pop ups so far, just an advertisement for Ikea up top

Are they all connecting to the same WLAN (and use that) or are they using their carrier service for Internet.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aoyi View Post
    Some sites also allow pop up advertising. Mmo-champion is one of them. Right now, mmo-champion would like you to know you've been selected to test the new iphone 7. I can't speak to why you are experiencing it on so many sites, but it is possible a few that you visit are allowing these ads.
    Usualy get the "Win a free iPhone 7!" or "Spin the wheel to win xxxxx!".

Quote Originally Posted by Yuyuli View Post
    Are they all connecting to the same WLAN (and use that) or are they using their carrier service for Internet.
    We're all connected to the same WLAN, though some of us use the 2,4ghz, others the 5.0ghz. We have different carriers, but we still recieve pop-ups.

Usualy get the "Win a free iPhone 7!" or "Spin the wheel to win xxxxx!".

We're all connected to the same WLAN, though some of us use the 2,4ghz, others the 5.0ghz. We have different carriers, but we still recieve pop-ups.
    To be more specific: Are you actually using WLAN when you get these popups, because if you are then it's obviously the source you are getting that WLAN from that is "injecting" these Ads which is why they affect every phone.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuyuli View Post
    To be more specific: Are you actually using WLAN when you get these popups, because if you are then it's obviously the source you are getting that WLAN from that is "injecting" these Ads which is why they affect every phone.
    Tried with, and without, still getting adds.

Try this antivirus app, its free and I used it to get rid of stuff https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...id=com.lookout

10+ Year Old Account
    Only downloaded apps from google store, so yeah...
    That doesn't mean anything. Google store apps do not get vetted.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

There is something you are not telling us if it's also happening on a iPhone.

It's highly unlikely that all phones are affected by the same malware (and believe it or not, it would have to be a highly sophisticated one), but what you are running into looks very much like malware.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Feels like I've tried most of the things mentioned here, but nothing seems to work. By the looks of it, the link Kujako gave me, seems to be the most likely one. So I suppose the only solution is to hand it over to someone who might know how to deal with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Feels like I've tried most of the things mentioned here, but nothing seems to work. By the looks of it, the link Kujako gave me, seems to be the most likely one. So I suppose the only solution is to hand it over to someone who might know how to deal with it.
    Back up what you need and reset to factory defaults.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    If you do have the Ghost Push issue, here are removal instructions. Again I've not tested or vetted any of this nor do I know of a way to confirm that you do or do not have the aforementioned malware...

http://www.cmcm.com/article/share/2015-09-18/801.html

-Kujako-

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Back up what you need and reset to factory defaults.
    Did that earlier today. Did not install anything on the phone when I entered a browser. Took 5 seconds after typing the address to get a pop-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    If you do have the Ghost Push issue, here are removal instructions. Again I've not tested or vetted any of this nor do I know of a way to confirm that you do or do not have the aforementioned malware...

http://www.cmcm.com/article/share/2015-09-18/801.html
    I'll give that a shot tomorrow, it's a little late to start a project I have no knowledge of!
    Last edited by abb93; 2016-01-11 at 08:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did that earlier today. Did not install anything on the phone when I entered a browser. Took 5 seconds after typing the address to get a pop-up.
    Were you able to select 'whipe data' or the equivalent? Sorry, it's been a couple years sense I worked with cell phones. There used to be a way to reset to factory defaults, which would whipe the device of all data. We had to do it for testing on every new built to make sure it's a clean install.