10+ Year Old Account

Best MM levelling tank pet

Just a quick question asking which tanking pet is best to level wth from 90-100
    Last edited by aarro; 2016-01-14 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Spelling

Deleted
    There's almost no difference between the pets apart from the buffs they give. But if you want the ultimate tank pet it would be a turtle or a beetle as they have shield wall. Hardly needed for leveling though. Just spec any pet into tenacity and keep mend pet up and you would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Djjoe View Post
    There's almost no difference between the pets apart from the buffs they give. But if you want the ultimate tank pet it would be a turtle or a beetle as they have shield wall. Hardly needed for leveling though. Just spec any pet into tenacity and keep mend pet up and you would be fine.
    This, you could also use a Dog or Gorilla for Stats buff, or a Nether Ray if you want Lust/Heroism while leveling.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Every BM should have at least one spirit beast pet in his/her stable. In addition to its stat buff, a Spirit Beast will give you a targetable heal on a 30s CD. It is a moderately strong, short duration HoT effect that can can be macrod to perform just like any other healing spell. This is extremely useful for cutting edge soloing where personal survivability is more necessary than having the best pure tank pet (Turtle). The macrod heal also allows you to complete the Valithria fight in ICC, even on 25H. Yes you can skip that fight, but why skip it when you can complete it in a couple mins for gold, mog gear, and achieves?.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilan View Post
    Every BM should have at least one spirit beast pet in his/her stable. In addition to its stat buff, a Spirit Beast will give you a targetable heal on a 30s CD. It is a moderately strong, short duration HoT effect that can can be macrod to perform just like any other healing spell. This is extremely useful for cutting edge soloing where personal survivability is more necessary than having the best pure tank pet (Turtle). The macrod heal also allows you to complete the Valithria fight in ICC, even on 25H. Yes you can skip that fight, but why skip it when you can complete it in a couple mins for gold, mog gear, and achieves?.
    He's asking about leveling 90-100 as Marksmanship.

In that situation, any pet will do- it's not based as much on species anymore, as any pet can be changed to any spec (Ferocity, Tenacity, or Cunning). A Tenacity pet will be a better tank than a Ferocity pet, but a Ferocity pet will deal more damage. It's up to you if you want or need the higher threat generation and added survivability of Tenacity, or if you value the faster kill speed of Ferocity.

Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    He's asking about leveling 90-100 as Marksmanship.

In that situation, any pet will do- it's not based as much on species anymore, as any pet can be changed to any spec (Ferocity, Tenacity, or Cunning). A Tenacity pet will be a better tank than a Ferocity pet, but a Ferocity pet will deal more damage. It's up to you if you want or need the higher threat generation and added survivability of Tenacity, or if you value the faster kill speed of Ferocity.
    it doesn't really matter because all you are going to do as MM is hit Chimeara, single target is dead or hit Barrage everything in range is dead. I think I needed my pet twice going from 90-100 99% of time stuff will be dead before your pet gets to it.

It's a decent question for one reason... Growl has a CD.

I'm in the process of leveling a hunter as MM, so I'm right in the thick of this. What I did was to glyph Pet Misdirection so that Misdirection cast on pets resets the CD of MD. That's really nice. Then I realized that it's just quicker to hit Chimaera and Multi because they are instants. By then, the pet likely will get Growl and one Bite or main attack in and that should be enough to need Kill Shot.

Every few kills, I may need to just go SS to rebuild focus, but as it's a new toon on a server where I don't have all the professions covered, I don't have the Glyph of Fetch. If I had that (or a Looterang for that matter), I'd go even faster and I'd have to manage my focus more. Then again, I planned my leveling around being a skinner so by the time I run up to a mob and skin it, I've got most of my focus back and stuff to sell to NPCs and on the AH.

I did the 5 man quests in Icecrown using a Ferocity pet. One could argue that I did it the hard way going Ferocity rather than Tenacity, but if I can do a 5 man group quest with a Ferocity pet, then it really is more about which pet you feel most comfortable with.

I went with a wolf for the crit and as I'm sure you know, big crits as MM is just... delicious.

I leveled as BM on WoD launch, was way easier than MM. Sure MM 1 shot mobs in the first 2-3 levels, but it still had shit AoE. Pulling 5+ mobs at once and having your pet face tank them was easy mode all the way to 100.

And contrary to what people tell, do not spec Tenacity, you don't need it. Ferocity all the way for max DPS. Your pet is tanky enough with Mend Pet and especially if you have a Spirit Beast and cast Spirit Mend on the pet as well.

Any pet, enable Growl and use MD glyph.