Thread: Food shaming

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    We're just in the "Everything that isn't organic kale and quinoa causes cancer" phase. Just don't worry about it.
    Kale probably increases cancer risks in plenty of people who have issues digesting it.

It's amazing anyone believes this clearly made up story.

When I got my order and started eating it I got stares. They told me "how does the cancer taste?" Along with other degrading insults.
    Sure they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post

Sure they did.
    My friend literally told me I'll get cancer from my diet so... I can believe it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015
    They told me "how does the cancer taste?" Along with other degrading insults. My friend took up for me but it still bothers me. So what if I want to eat a burger with a ton of calories it's my life. They made me feel so terrible about my food choices. I usually shrug things like that off but it still gets me.
    Bullying 101: people won't make fun of you if you don't care about their jokes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    My friend literally told me I'll get cancer from my diet so... I can believe it.
    But how does "concern" become "shaming"?

The story says it wasn't his friends. Random strangers, in the south, a place where obesity is just as common as politeness, berating someone for eating a meal.

What you eat is certainly at least somewhat important.

How much you eat is very important.

http://www.futurity.org/obesity-mort...rch-1090672-2/

The study finds adverse health effects grow larger in weight categories above the normal range, and no protective effect of being overweight is observed.

“The risks of obesity are obscured in prior research because most of the studies only incorporate information on weight at a single point in time,” says lead author Andrew Stokes, assistant professor of global health at Boston University. “The simple step of incorporating weight history clarifies the risks of obesity and shows that they are much higher than appreciated."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42
    It is amazing you're so sure it is made up when things like that happen all the time. What sort of friends don't make cancer jokes?

- EDIT -

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42
    The story says it wasn't his friends. Random strangers, in the south, a place where obesity is just as common as politeness, berating someone for eating a meal.
    Good point. Missed that part.
    Last edited by Hraklea; 2016-01-14 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    Not sure how I feel about the term 'food shaming' but people around the office always make fun of me for my kale smoothies
    I just threw up a little

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yes i've been food shamed tons. Especially since i'm on a keto diet. It's funny because I've lost a little over 100 pounds and am quite healthy now but that doesn't stop people from thinking my high fatty foods are the devil incarnate working to give me a heart attack.
    Good for you, keep up the good work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    To be a pedant, they were friends of his friend, so they weren't really random and may not have been strangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Krzywuz View Post
    But how does "concern" become "shaming"?
    concern? it wasn't concern lol.

Nuh uh, there are tons of ways to make them delicious. I'm not brave enough for pure green smoothies, so I always cut the kale with like bananas and shit.
    Aww yeah. Add some peanut butter and honey and that is a damn good smoothie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Hey guys,

I know it's a first world problem but has anyone been "food shamed"? I was eating lunch with an old friend and his friends. I ordered a burger with onion rings and cheese sticks. When I got my order and started eating it I got stares. They told me "how does the cancer taste?" Along with other degrading insults. My friend took up for me but it still bothers me. So what if I want to eat a burger with a ton of calories it's my life. They made me feel so terrible about my food choices. I usually shrug things like that off but it still gets me.
    Simply reply would have been, "We're at a restaurant, not on Tumblr. Fuck off."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    Bullying 101: people won't make fun of you if you don't care about their jokes.
    There is truth to this.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

I sure have.

The reason? When I go out to eat, I usually order something decadent, so people only see me eating that stuff. At home, I'm more like, I'll just munch on some carrots, and hey, that apple looks good.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Pfft. Throw the greens in with that fruit and yogurt and you won't even taste it.
    Smoothies are not really that good for you. You are in essence taking more complex locked in carbohydrates that take the body time to break down and digest, and thus provide a slow steady glucose stream, and mashing it into a semi-liquid which provides a rapid blood sugar hit to the body. That causes an insulin spike which if done repeatedly leads to type two diabetes. Much much better to eat the fruit/greens whole.

Deleted
    concern? it wasn't concern lol.
    If someone's suggesting you something which would actually improve your health it's not shaming.

Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    Smoothies are not really that good for you. You are in essence taking more complex locked in carbohydrates that take the body time to break down and digest, and thus provide a slow steady glucose stream, and mashing it into a semi-liquid which provides a rapid blood sugar hit to the body. That causes an insulin spike which if done repeatedly leads to type two diabetes. Much much better to eat the fruit/greens whole.
    I honestly don't see the point in fruit...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Krzywuz View Post
    If someone's suggesting you something which would actually improve your health it's not shaming.
    Um no becuase the way I'm eating now is the entire reason I'm not the fat one of my friends. They are fat, they eat really bad like french toast and shit and they've said my food is so fatty and disgusting.

I know my friends random stranger online.

I honestly don't see the point in fruit...
    Fiber. Plus, look at something like Naked brand fruit juices. There's literally a pound of juice in those and you're getting as many carbs as from a Mountain Dew. Ok, some vitamins too, sure.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a healthy bit of banter lad. Unlike your fucking cancer sarnie.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Fiber. Plus, look at something like Naked brand fruit juices. There's literally a pound of juice in those and you're getting as many carbs as from a Mountain Dew. Ok, some vitamins too, sure.
    The vitamins are probably the main selling point. Somehow eating the fruit enhances how the body uptake of said vitamins happen something you don't get from just eating a pill containing them.
    Fruit matters even though i prefer vegetables.