Poll: Is 1000 people a small group?

Deleted

"its just a small group"

Ive seen this on both sides of the whole political / immigration argument.

Headline: 1000 refugees sexually assault 500 women
    Left: "Its just 1000 people that ruin it for the billions of good ones out there"
    Right: "Most immigrants are rapists".

Headline: 1000 neo-nazi's join pegida march
    Right: "Its just 1000 peoplethat ruin it for the billions of good ones out there"
    Left: "all rightwingers and people with a critical opinion about immigration are nazi's!".

So. Here we are. Again.

So which is it guys? Is 1000 people alot? Or not? Is it representable for the rest of Europe? Or the world for that matter?

7+ Year Old Account
    It's okay for people whose side I am and not okay for people whose side I am not on.

Did I win?

We have entire judicial / detention systems in place to contend with 'a small group' in most advanced societies. Dismissing it or simply ignoring it is probably the worst long term approach to take, no matter what side you care to subscribe to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    You needed a thread to understand why differing sides cherry pick or misrepresent data to enforce their point of view?
    no point in your poll at all either

15+ Year Old Account
    1000 people on either side is a lot. But proportional, 1000 people is a lot more on the refugee side.

Non-equivalency. When people call others nazis, I think they really just mean they're xenophobic. Same with racist. When a group's whole thing is about xenophobia, it becomes hard to distinguish between the xenophobic group and this other xenophobic group they're marching with.

That's different than say, 1000 people grouping up to commit crime, and then saying everyone they share a religion with is a criminal/needs to be deported.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suppose the real question you wanted to ask was this: "Do those 1000 people compromise the rest of the refugees?". The answer is both yes and know. Yes because these 1000 people act as they do because of the cultural differences between Europe and the Middle East. No because not everyone acts on those differences the way these guys do. In general, I do not believe in harming some people because of the actions of others, so I see no reason to change refuge policies just because of this incident.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

I dunno. 1000 people wouldn't be considered a big group if they were just out having a peaceful demonstration. 1000 people raping/abusing/whatever is certainly a big deal though. It's all relative.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Headline: 1000 refugees sexually assault 500 women
    Left: "Its just 1000 people that ruin it for the billions of good ones out there"
    Right: "Most immigrants are rapists".
    I'm on the right wing and I don't think most immigrants are rapists.