Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Starvation in Syria 'a war crime,' U.N. chief says

Looks like more Syrian refugees incoming, that's why Europeans should be concerned.

Ali was 16 years old and badly malnourished.

Workers for UNICEF, the United Nations Children's Fund, met him in a makeshift hospital in the Syrian city of Madaya. The city is controlled by rebels and under siege by forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

Its people are starving.

The UNICEF team screened the children they found in the hospital. They found 22 children under the age of 5 suffering from malnutrition, according to a statement Friday from Hanaa Singer, the organization's representative in Syria. They also found six children between the ages of 6 and 18 suffering from severe malnutrition.

One of whom was Ali. And, in front of their eyes, Ali died.

The team, Singer said, was "saddened and shocked."

syria-madaya-starvation/

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

TLDR: The American backed terrorists are losing so the US media is trying to push some agenda to justify sending more aid to the Terrorists.

Deleted
    You could basically call everything that happens in a war a crime. Or is killing people legitimate?

And every country on the planet commits war crimes when in a war. In a war anything goes, even if you have signed laws that state you will not break certain "rules".
    The trick is not to lose a war or the opposing side will hold it against you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Looks like more Syrian refugees incoming, that's why Europeans should be concerned.

Ali was 16 years old and badly malnourished.

Workers for UNICEF, the United Nations Children's Fund, met him in a makeshift hospital in the Syrian city of Madaya. The city is controlled by rebels and under siege by forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

Its people are starving.

The UNICEF team screened the children they found in the hospital. They found 22 children under the age of 5 suffering from malnutrition, according to a statement Friday from Hanaa Singer, the organization's representative in Syria. They also found six children between the ages of 6 and 18 suffering from severe malnutrition.

One of whom was Ali. And, in front of their eyes, Ali died.

The team, Singer said, was "saddened and shocked."

syria-madaya-starvation/
    Upon reading the link I come away with a couple of thoughts.

1. Rebels control the town, thus, it seems that makes the people living there the responsibility of the rebels. If they are starving thats a problem for the rebels.

2. The UN is there, they want to be in the middle of things, how come they are only feeding a handful. Mr Secretary-General get those supplies in there.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

The Syrian forces, the rebels and ISIS should obviously start shooting care packages at each other to rectify the situation of people in a warzone dying from lack of supplies. Would save a lot of lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    TLDR: The American backed terrorists are losing so the US media is trying to push some agenda to justify sending more aid to the Terrorists.
    Go watch more anime to find something else to bitch about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Go watch more anime to find something else to bitch about.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/russia-...alma-1.3401937
    The insurgents in the opposition-held area near the Turkish border were collapsing after the town of Salma fell to government loyalists late Tuesday. Salma's fall marked one of the most significant military victories by the Syrian military since Russia began airstrikes in the country last September to shore up President Bashar al-Assad's forces.

On Wednesday, government troops seized the villages of Mrouniyah and Marj Kawkah near Salma as they continued their advances in the region, aided by immense Russian firepower.

Salma, part of mountainous chains near the border with Turkey known as Jabal al-Akrad and Jabal al-Turkmen, has been under rebel control for the past three years.

'It was hell on earth'

The town, where members of Assad's Alawite minority sect once co-existed with majority Sunni Muslims, overlooks the largely Alawite coast and is about 12 kilometres away from the Turkish border. Turkey is a key supporter of insurgents in the area, which is mostly inhabited by Syrian Turkmen, an ethnic minority with close ties to Turkey.

"Whoever controls Salma gains control all those surrounding areas which it overlooks," said Zakariya Ahmad, an opposition activist in the nearby Idlib province.
    The Syrian army and the Russian air force are turning the tide of the war! Quick think of a distraction!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/russia-...alma-1.3401937

The Syrian army and the Russian air force are turning the tide of the war! Quick think of a distraction!
    Oh look, this thread was about starving syrians! Blame the us!

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Oh look, this thread was about starving syrians! Blame the us!

The Syrian terrorists holding this town are armed to the teeth with brand new American weapons send by Obama. Direct assault on the town would cost too much. It's the American's faults for arming terrorists.

The Syrian terrorists holding this town are armed to the teeth with brand new American weapons send by Obama. Direct assault on the town would cost too much. It's the American's faults for arming terrorists.
    No it is Obama's fault for having the most absolutely pathetic foreign policy in U.S. history.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    No it is Obama's fault for having the most absolutely pathetic foreign policy in U.S. history.
    When Hillary becomes president it will be even worse.

When Hillary becomes president it will be even worse.
    Maybe not. She is more hawkish than he is. I can't say that I'm optimistic though.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Maybe not. She is more hawkish than he is. I can't say that I'm optimistic though.
    Rubio, Cruz or Hillary will further escalate the conflict to a full blown war. Your options are peace or annihilation.

Rubio, Cruz or Hillary will further escalate the conflict to a full blown war. Your options are peace or annihilation.
    It is a full blown war mate. Either the U.S. can take charge and establish an allied government and hopefully establish peace with mostly U.S. allies in the region (Turkey, Iraq and Israel) or we can wait for Russia or Iran to do it and further divide the region up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Makes you wonder why the Obama administration was trying so hard to take the Syria out of ISIS.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Makes you wonder why the Obama administration was trying so hard to take the Syria out of ISIS.
    Obama was trying to take Syria out of ISIS? I don't understand.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    2. The UN is there, they want to be in the middle of things, how come they are only feeding a handful. Mr Secretary-General get those supplies in there.
    They're vastly underfunded.

So when is the UN gonna do its job and stop the crisis? "more refugees" is not a solution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Obama was trying to take Syria out of ISIS? I don't understand.
    ISIL instead of ISIS.

Seems like people have forgotten what war is.
    NATO has done it's job, after all xD
    P.S.
    Not exactly sarcasm about NATO part, just the people's responses to this.