570 GTX Issues After Win10 Update

Hey all,

I updated to Windows 10 about a month ago, had no problems. Yesterday, Win10 installed a package of updates. I started playing a game, and noticed that the textures were glitchy, flickering and stretching. Initially assumed the game was bugged due to an update as well. When finished, I noticed that there were boxes of red dots flickering around on my desktop, and on chrome as well. There were no nVidia driver updates available, nor any beta versions I could opt in to. I did not have a lot of time to troubleshoot before bed, but I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. Is my card dying, or could the Windows 10 updates have screwed with my gfx drivers?

Thanks!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kantalope View Post
    Is my card dying, or could the Windows 10 updates have screwed with my gfx drivers?
    Either could be possible. Although having the card start dying exactly the same moment you had windows update, sounds kind of unlikely. Do a clean driver install (e.g. delete old drivers before installing new ones). If it doesn't work you can try rolling back to the previous driver release and see if it helps. And if your card has any overclock, try if running at stock changes anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Either could be possible. Although having the card start dying exactly the same moment you had windows update, sounds kind of unlikely. Do a clean driver install (e.g. delete old drivers before installing new ones). If it doesn't work you can try rolling back to the previous driver release and see if it helps. And if your card has any overclock, try if running at stock changes anything.
    Thanks for the reply. It turns out it's dying. I reinstalled drivers, rolled back to win7, installed those drivers, cleaned out case and connections with air, still no luck. It was completely unplayable with the GPU on the second day, so I had to scrap it.

Your card is dying. That is called artifacting. RMA it if you still have warranty. This is not something you can fix.

Allegedly, you can sometimes fix them with the same way that you would an xbox red ring of death (something like put in an oven at high temperature and it will melt all the solder points back together if any are broken), but during my bitcoin mining days with graphics cards, I had a number of failing cards and the oven method never worked for me. Also, this will void your warranty as you will need to take the heatsink and fan off, which usually has warranty stickers that are tamper-evident.

If there is nothing you cna do, you may be able to ebay it for a couple bucks. Some people buy broken graphics cards, even past warranty. A quick ebay check shows broken GTX 570 cards sell for anywhere from $25-$50 shipped.

7+ Year Old Account
    The 500 series was AWFUL when it came to overheating. Nvidia didn't really get this under control until the 600 series.

I wasn't too worried about it, the card got probably 5+ years of use. But thanks for the tips! It just seemed weird to me that it occurred the same day as the windows updates, so I wasn't positive it was dying or the update screwed with the drivers.