Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    You're 85th at best.

Unless you have a source to a study that says you're higher, I'll take the word of a Stanford University professor over yours anyday.
    That study was all wrong.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    That study was all wrong.
    Yes, all 3 of them that I posted along with the map posted by OP. Either stop living in ignorance or show me a source.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

I mean if some professor who can't get a real job says so, this map must be true.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    You're 85th at best.
    This index of cultural diversity is biased towards linguistic variations as opposed to genetic diversity and other variations.
    I know it's hard for you to understand that the de facto language spoken in the US is English. Nearly everyone here speaks it in spite of nearly everyone immigrating from some where else and second languages being spoken all the time. This is opposition to some African countries where you can have various tribes all speaking different languages from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    I know it's hard for you to understand that the de facto language spoken in the US is English. Nearly everyone here speaks it in spite of nearly everyone immigrating from some where else and second languages being spoken all the time. This is opposition to some African countries where you can have various tribes all speaking different languages from each other.
    Languages being the only thing looked at for multiculturalism is a bad study.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    I know reading comprehension is hard for you, but I'm pretty sure I said the US was high amongst developed nations (three times now), although it's not the highest.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pts99 View Post
    I want to start off with stating, that according to modern psychology, then there can be no such thing as a peaceful multicultural-"any-type-of-group".

1) The members are united about 1 or more goals. The goals are decide by the group, and can be changed depending on how the group evolves.

2) The members develops a set of norms, that establish the limits for which relationships can be formed, and which activities can be performed.

3) If the group manages to survive long enough, then roles will be formed and the group will further seperate itself from other groups, because of the group's now unique characteristics.

4) A network of mutual attaction evolves, based on which members likes eachother.

With a "culture" being a set of norms and rules in itself, it will inevitably result in friction with other cultures, unless the differences between culture X and culture Y are next to none.

This is also the case in society-science. There is not a single country in the world that is recognized as multicultural. There are however, plenty of parallel societies, which would be the polar opposite of multicultural societies.

- - - Updated - - -

Cultural divisersity does not necessarily equal multiculture. It can also imply a parallel society, which I am willing to bet everything I own on is more correct in the case of Congo and Nigeria.
    Wow, you have absolutely zero idea of what you are talking aout.
    To what social science do you establish your theory on? Cause, you know what? I actually study anthropology and can tell that you're full of shit.

Culture is not a word that has an established definition because culture is different to everyone.
    Culture, as you use it, are not formed and developed the way you propose.
    Multicultural societies are everywhere. There is no such society that is not multicultural, whether you like it or not.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Languages being the only thing looked at for multiculturalism is a bad study.
    Exactly, but that isn't going to stop some people with comprehension problems from pointing out that we're 85th at something like it's a bad thing in this case.

You know, I always liked melting pot nations or cultures. Hong Kong being a good example as well as Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    You know, I always liked melting pot nations or cultures. Hong Kong being a good example as well as Japan.
    Uh japan is highly xenophobic.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    You have a strange definition of melting pot.

Uh japan is highly xenophobic.
    There are more conservative Japanese for sure. I would not call them xenophobic, perhaps ignorant would be a better term as most Japanese people harbor little hate or fear for most other cultures.

I called Japan a melting pot because it is a culture derived from a lot of Chinese, Korean and Ainu/Jomon culture all mixed up and evolved into the Japanese culture. That alone is nothing special, but if you consider the fact that Japan has been radically adapting western culture and mixing with their own, they seem more and more like a melting pot to me.

I don't need to go into detail with Hong Kong...

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like the researchers are using a very questionable, or perhaps a very scientific determination of "multicultural" which will not translate well into how the society actually looks and feels to the lay-person.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I called Japan a melting pot because it is a culture derived from a lot of Chinese, Korean and Ainu/Jomon culture all mixed up and evolved into the Japanese culture. That alone is nothing special, but if you consider the fact that Japan has been radically adapting western culture and mixing with their own, they seem more and more like a melting pot to me.
    That's like just about every country ever.

Take the UK, we have incorporated the people and cultures of Celts, Romans (including Syrians!), Anglo-Saxons, Vikings, Normans, Indians and Jamaicans, as well as numerous others from the British Empire.

That's just the main ones, we also have had Huguenots, Jews, random Continental Europeans escaping revolutions, Greek & Turkish Cypriots, Italians, etc.

You could do the same with France, Germany, Spain, etc., perhaps even more so with them, as Britain is an island nation and has been separated by a natural barrier.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pts99 View Post
    I want to start off with stating, that according to modern psychology, then there can be no such thing as a peaceful multicultural-"any-type-of-group".

1) The members are united about 1 or more goals. The goals are decide by the group, and can be changed depending on how the group evolves.

2) The members develops a set of norms, that establish the limits for which relationships can be formed, and which activities can be performed.

3) If the group manages to survive long enough, then roles will be formed and the group will further seperate itself from other groups, because of the group's now unique characteristics.

4) A network of mutual attaction evolves, based on which members likes eachother.

With a "culture" being a set of norms and rules in itself, it will inevitably result in friction with other cultures, unless the differences between culture X and culture Y are next to none.

This is also the case in society-science. There is not a single country in the world that is recognized as multicultural. There are however, plenty of parallel societies, which would be the polar opposite of multicultural societies.

- - - Updated - - -

Cultural divisersity does not necessarily equal multiculture. It can also imply a parallel society, which I am willing to bet everything I own on is more correct in the case of Congo and Nigeria.
    Pluralism. You can keep your cultural identity and still be part of a larger group outside of that.

- - - Updated - - -

Japan isnt at all multicultural. They're very conservative and not very friendly towards immigrants, unless you entirely assimilate and don't bring along your annoying, foreign culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Pluralism. You can keep your cultural identity and still be part of a larger group outside of that.

- - - Updated - - -

Japan isnt at all multicultural. They're very conservative and not very friendly towards immigrants, unless you entirely assimilate and don't bring along your annoying, foreign culture.
    I wouldn't consider a majority of Japanese people as conservative. There are plenty of conservative Japanese, however they do not represent the majority.

I wouldn't consider a majority of Japanese people as conservative. There are plenty of conservative Japanese, however they do not represent the majority.
    It's hard to say how many of them are conservative but they are not too open for other cultures and you really can't become Japanese if you are not from Japan. They doesn't fully accept Koreans who are very similar to Japanese and even less accept Westerners or Africans. And that's not from those westerner YouTube vlogers who whine all the time about life in Japan. I had chance to talk with someone who is not native Japanese but lives in country for more then 10 years and isn't from west either and they are not racists but they just don't accept outsiders. They are fine if you work and contribute but don't try to change anything or offer your ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Unionoob View Post
    It's hard to say how many of them are conservative but they are not too open for other cultures and you really can't become Japanese if you are not from Japan. They doesn't fully accept Koreans who are very similar to Japanese and even less accept Westerners or Africans. And that's not from those westerner YouTube vlogers who whine all the time about life in Japan. I had chance to talk with someone who is not native Japanese but lives in country for more then 10 years and isn't from west either and they are not racists but they just don't accept outsiders. They are fine if you work and contribute but don't try to change anything or offer your ideas.
    Yes, they aren't exactly xenophobic, but I'd say they have a very 'well-oiled factory' sort of mindset. Go to school to prepare to work and then work for most of your life. Granted I guess it sort of works as a system, but there's underlying problems related to that sort of lifestyle and mindset.

Of course not all Japanese are like that, many of the millennial or well cultured Japanese are far more accepting of other cultures and ethnic groups.

Yes, they aren't exactly xenophobic, but I'd say they have a very 'well-oiled factory' sort of mindset. Go to school to prepare to work and then work for most of your life. Granted I guess it sort of works as a system, but there's underlying problems related to that sort of lifestyle and mindset.

Of course not all Japanese are like that, many of the millennial or well cultured Japanese are far more accepting of other cultures and ethnic groups.
    It doesn't seem to work too well either though, as Japan has one of the lowest work productivity rates in the world.

They are very culturally conservative. Conservative by means of preserving their heritage. China is the same way.

I think you're confusing conservative with be authoritarian. Which are not the same.