The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

DH Damage Reduction

Hey Everyone!
    So, A quick-ish question,
    I have 84.73% Damage Reduction, Which is nice, But when I pop Vengence, With Deark Heart rune, so I get 50% DR, I check my stats, And I'm still at 84.73%, Same with using Wraps of Clarity. It gives me the buff, Yet my stat stays the same? When my brother uses a similar move to boost DR on his Crusader, It alters the stat in his stat list..

So my question would be, Do they not show up? Have I hit a max DR or something? I see no stats change when I use those abilities:S
    This is on the PS4, By the way, I'm still fairly new to Diablo, So it might be something simple, And please remember as I'm new, If you abbreviate things, I might not know what you mean:P (I only 5mins ago learn't "DR":P)

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GKLeatherCraft View Post
    Hey Everyone!
    So, A quick-ish question,
    I have 84.73% Damage Reduction, Which is nice, But when I pop Vengence, With Deark Heart rune, so I get 50% DR, I check my stats, And I'm still at 84.73%, Same with using Wraps of Clarity. It gives me the buff, Yet my stat stays the same? When my brother uses a similar move to boost DR on his Crusader, It alters the stat in his stat list..

So my question would be, Do they not show up?

Thanks!
    When you say you have 84.73% damage reduction is that when you scroll over the armor stat? Because that is your phyiscal DR just for melee attacks.

DR from wraps of clarity and Vengeance are a separate multiplier, and you should notice your toughness go up when they are proc'd. They also protect you from elemental attacks as well as phyiscal. Armor is just phyiscal. And you have another stat all resistance for elemental attacks defense.

But when its just straight damage reduction it reduces everything!

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh ok, That makes some sense, I'll have another look when I proc them, I didn't notice any other numbers go up, Should straight up DR now increase my Physical DR though? And Yeah you're right, that is the one I get when I scroll over Armor^^

Oh ok, That makes some sense, I'll have another look when I proc them, I didn't notice any other numbers go up, Should straight up DR now increase my Physical DR though? And Yeah you're right, that is the one I get when I scroll over Armor^^
    Yeah damage reduction also reduces phyiscal damage. But it wont change your armor damage reduction because only more armor will change that number. Or more dex because dex = armor.

The reason it changes for your crusader friend is because Akarat champion with prophet rune gives you more armor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Yeah damage reduction also reduces phyiscal damage. But it wont change your armor damage reduction because only more armor will change that number. Or more dex because dex = armor.

The reason it changes for your crusader friend is because Akarat champion with prophet rune gives you more armor.
    Aaah that makes perfect sense! Thank you I thought it was a number for the total damage reduction for all incoming, But I'm guessing it's not that simple then because different types of damage are handled differently depending on the type,

Thanks man, Appreciate the help

Aaah that makes perfect sense! Thank you I thought it was a number for the total damage reduction for all incoming, But I'm guessing it's not that simple then because different types of damage are handled differently depending on the type,

Thanks man, Appreciate the help
    yeah you'll start to notice there's quite a few different forms of damage reduction snuck in on different pieces of gear.

For example the belt String of ears "reduces melee damage reduction by 30%" so naturally only will help with melee phyiscal damage. Not ranged phyiscal or elemental attacks and vice versa.

"Reduces damages from ranged attack by xx%"

"Reduces damage from elites by xx%" - this one you can find on chest piece or quiver.

I have over 100% damage reduction, why am I not invincible

It doesn't work that way, DR stacks multiplicatively, not additive.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    When you say you have 84.73% damage reduction is that when you scroll over the armor stat? Because that is your phyiscal DR just for melee attacks.

DR from wraps of clarity and Vengeance are a separate multiplier, and you should notice your toughness go up when they are proc'd. They also protect you from elemental attacks as well as phyiscal. Armor is just phyiscal. And you have another stat all resistance for elemental attacks defense.

But when its just straight damage reduction it reduces everything!
    Unfortunately this is not true. Armor protects against ALL kinds of attacks and damage, not just physical. Armor works exactly like resistances do, only on a seperate track. This is somewhat special in D3. Do not mistake Armor for physical resistance.

Armor = Damage reduction against everything
    Resistances = Damage reduction against single damage types

Since DH survivability is being discussed, here's a couple of additional tips:
    - Natalya and Shadow sets make a good use of the new Elusive ring. It gives a great boost in survivability if used correctly.

- Mara6 has an actually "better" option ditching Aquila Cuirass (that has also a quite low uptime until you're god in resource management) and using garwulf in the cube. It requires however a perfectly rolled Zoey belt (9%) but the additional wolves make up for the restance with a negligible loss and adding more damage overall, and also being way more consistent.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.