Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notter View Post
    Yeah, I also keep in mind they might have "cherry picked" their answers.
    but it's not something new, and it's not just idiots.
    and a lot of people in this forum, even in this thread think the same thing, (that being said, some are idiots).

point is.
    even if a single person can think that Israel has bad human rights, which is obviously false, means something is very wrong in how Israel is being perceived.
    And i'm asking what going on in, let's say, England, that people can think such a thing.
    Have you thought about its maybe how Israel is portraying themself in the international scene? There has to be reason why there is somewhat of a split in the opnion in most western people about Israel.

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Define "safe".
    It means they wont kidnap me and try to cut my head off in Israel.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Its pretty glib to speak for all Arabs living in Israel. Its the old, "I'm not racist, i have some black friends" argument.

How can you treat Arabs equally when you admit to inherently fearing them?
    what's the problem with that?
    there's an Israeli saying that goes "respect him and fear him".
    basically means, never let your guard down, but never treat someone badly just cause you're afraid.

that being said.
    I know people now are selling less apartments to arabs, since they are afraid.

I think the most probable reason, is antisemitism. specifically by muslims.

This is pretty much it. Also Jews are a successful group, so liberals think they are oppressing Muslims. Even when Muslims scream "Death to Israel," they give them a pass.

10+ Year Old Account
    2. You say war crimes, I say war.
    There were no war crimes. you are parroting exactly what i'm talking about.
    but anyway, when your home will be fired rockets over your head, and you hear sirens every day, and see explosion in the sky shortly after. than MAYBE you'll understand that a country has the right to defend itself.
    You might not consider it to be war crimes, but most of the world does. Even your closest and most loyal ally, the U.S. said that you crossed the line.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It means they wont kidnap me and try to cut my head off in Israel.
    They wont try to do that in most countries in the middle east.
    But hey. I'm not here trying to convince anyone.
    Like Skroe says
    "I want to believe"
    Believe what you want brother. It's a free world.

I mean Notter here believes he is the israeli people. In their entirety. Primary colors believes criticism of israel belongs to a political faction. So I mean you can pretty much believe whatever the fuck you want.
    It's the interwebz. Feel free. This is freedom.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Just by way of example, creating illegal settlements in occupied territories is explicitly a war crime, and one which Israel has been warned about by the UN multiple times. It has nothing to do with "war".
    The UN says a lot of things but no one really thinks they are important just a platform for speaking or else they would have done something about Daesh or North Korea they even elected Saudi Arabia as its human rights person I stopped taking them serious after that.
    We are just defending our lives agains a region that wants us dead for biening jewish.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by marty096 View Post
    This is pretty much it. Also Jews are a successful group, so liberals think they are oppressing Muslims. Even when Muslims scream "Death to Israel," they give them a pass.
    Yes, people across the whole world are condemning Israel out of.. antisemitism....

*pat* you surely got it sorted there chief.

Quote Originally Posted by TitanBread View Post
    The UN says a lot of things but no one really thinks they are important just a platform for speaking or else they would have done something about Daesh or North Korea they even elected Saudi Arabia as its human rights person I stopped taking them serious after that.
    We are just defending our lives agains a region that wants us dead for biening jewish.
    How are illegal settlements defending your lives again?

I'll make this simple. We can talk about the particulars of what the Israelis do and what the Palestinians do, and numbers of attacks this and that. Most of that barely matters.

It's comes down to one thing and one thing alone: your government being unbelievably terrible - and I do mean terrible - at maintaining friends that it uses to shield itself.

The default Israeli approach is to justify whatever they do by saying that they're the Jewish state surrounded by hostile muslim neighbors that want it's destruction... that it's one of the few democracies (and the only one not on shaky ground) in the region... that there is a clear and present security risk to Israelis lives and that because of all of that, Israel is right in doing basically whatever it needs to in order to survive and protect itself.

Right? Maybe. But utterly moronic. Beyond stupid. It's a strategy to make enemies.

As far as human rights liberties go, there are way worse actors in the world than the Israelis who have friendly reputations with most of the rest of the world. China executes 3000 people a year. Russia uses dumb bombs in 1940s style air raids in Syria because it doesn't have precision weapons technology. European countries sell advanced weapons technology to Arab states, no questions asked. The US... well, our ledger of "liberties taken" is very long. It's a messy, complicated world. In having to be ruthless in pursuit of it's goals, Israel is not unique.

What Israel is unique in doing though, is alienating large swathes of the rich and developed world in the process.

Let me give you like, the best example. When Israel is dependent upon the United States and just the United States to protect it in international arenas, you would think it would do all it can to keep itself as simple and low impact a commitment of ours impossible. Instead Israel ignores US depends to stop settlement building... quite the opposite actually, it doubles down. So your country expects us to protect you no matter the fact that this highly illegal thing that is going on, against our consent mind you, keeps putting the US in the position of taking a bullet for Israel?

That is a microcosm of why Israel has such a bad rap. Because It's been about twenty years of this nonsense in particular. The US does it because of politics here - politics NOT on Israels side in the medium and long term - and because our global power makes such actions relatively low cost. But smaller, internationally less powerful countries? European ones who envision themselves the paragons of human rights, despite their compromises? Why should they similarly take a hit for Israel, when Israel is just going to continue it's bad behavior?

This is a serious problem for your country, and you folks better start taking it seriously. The Bush Administration, after about 2005, ignored the Israeli and Palestinian conflict on purpose, because his administration saw it as a loser of a time investment and that American power wasn't worth doing more than the bare minimum. The Obama Administration followed suit, until Secretary of State John Kerry, who validates himself in life by getting appointment, accolades, awards and titles, decided to spent 14 months going fishing for a Nobel Peace Prize in his quixotic quest for a final settlement, that consumed his attention as Syria and Ukraine burned and China built islands. And even so, this country has been more and more reluctant to come to Israelis defense. American Jews identify with Israel less and less. Demographics are against Israel. And the foreign policy community is pretty much over "taking a bullet".

So why is Israel's rep so bad? Because not only does it do exceptionally shitty thing, but it spares basically no effort in fostering allies to protect it. It takes America's protection, especially it's UNSC Veto for granted.

What happens when that goes away? Because that day is coming. The US being Israel's champion didn't happen until the latter stages of the Cold War. And now as we transition into a century whose focus is on Asia-Pacific, where half the world's GDP and over half the world's population stands in a multi-sided conflict between the US and it's Asian allies, North Korea, China, maybe India and more, worrying about 7 million Israelis and 6 million Palestinians on a little corner of the Mediterranean will seem suddenly less important.

If Israel wants to start improving its image, it can start with stopping settlement building and dismantling all of them. If you keep building, eventually there will be a American President who will be faced with a UN Resolution sponsored by the other 14 countries in the room that it will find safe enough that, if it will not vote for, it at least abstain over it. And on that day the Israeli Prime Minister will be outraged and horrified, but Israel will only have done that to itself.
    Last edited by Skroe; 2016-01-16 at 03:27 AM.

Deleted
    erm... no SOME of them want you dead for being jewish, the majority want you to stop bombing them on a constant basis every 4 years so they can start living a normal life again...
    That is, once you allow concrete, cuddly toys and the rest of the stuff through the illegal economic blockade you're imposing on gaza.
    But hey... It must be antisemitism.

7+ Year Old Account
    The UN are really experts in this, but just because they dont have alot of power or a standing army, their opnion is still very well respected. They are trying to do things by actually talking to people and electing SA as their human rights person, really opened up for debate about their behavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Just by way of example, creating illegal settlements in occupied territories is explicitly a war crime, and one which Israel has been warned about by the UN multiple times. It has nothing to do with "war".

And that's without delving into the other more direct examples.

Maybe you're a decent person. Maybe most of the people you knew in the armed forces were as well. That doesn't mean there aren't bad apples, or that they aren't doing bad things.
    i'm against settlements as well.
    but as far as being a "war crime", how bad do you rank it?

some settlements have been destroyed and the people evacuated too.
    which i'm glad, since the population there is mostly religious fanatics.

and about bad apples.. yes, there might be.
    but it's not very likely. it's very hard to keep things under wrap here. and soldiers that have fired a shot, even when threatened, ended up in jail.
    if you've got exampled of bad apples i'd like to hear about them though.
    i can think of some examples myself, where someone punched someone else, but usually it's because he's been provoked. and then the media takes a picture of only what happens after the provocation.

in contrast, there are many examples of soldiers treating Palestinians very well.
    Helping old people.
    giving food.
    if they have to stay the night at someone's home, they make sure to clean the place up exactly like it was before they came..

Deleted
    By building houses on occupied land signalling an obvious disregard for any potential two-state solution. Israel wants to wipe Palestine off the map. It is disgusting.

Israel was part of the ottoman empire for hundreds of years, the Palestinians never owned Israel.

Q: Why does Israel get such bad reputation for human right?

A: Because the people who generated that assumption are anti-Israel.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Considering the neighbors of Israel, why are they singled out? Saudi Arabia and Iran are far worse but you don't see college students protesting those countries anywhere near as much as they do Israel.

Considering the neighbors of Israel, why are they singled out? Saudi Arabia and Iran are far worse but you don't see college students protesting those countries anywhere near as much as they do Israel.
    I see liberals angry about our alliance with Saudi Arabia all the time.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    erm... no SOME of them want you dead for being jewish, the majority want you to stop bombing them on a constant basis every 4 years so they can start living a normal life again...
    That is, once you allow concrete, cuddly toys and the rest of the stuff through the illegal economic blockade you're imposing on gaza.
    But hey... It must be antisemitism.
    Hey they stop sending hezbollah child soldiers and terrorists into cities to kill people I would be glad to lift to blockade heck it should be lifted.
    Last edited by Karamaru; 2016-01-16 at 03:37 AM.

College kids who protest are dupes who do what they are commended to.

They are fed a steady diet of radical agenda horse manure and none of it ever questions the horrible acts of the Arab world.

Nobody told them to pay attention to KSA or Iran so they don't.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN