Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

What is the future of gaming?

By which I mean, what will be the next "Big thing". I would definitely like to try a device such as the oculus rift or one of it's competitors, but what I'm really asking is, how will the games we play evolve? Obviously things like graphical fidelity will continue to increase over time as new hardware is released, but in terms of game mechanics, are we beginning to make so many games that ideas are beginning to stagnate? or do you think tech such as VR will unlock enough interaction to create new interesting mechanics?

We have seen in the past that from generation to generation, the leap in hardware was so big that not only did graphics increase, but new mechanics were possible, like the transition from 2d to 3d games.

What do you as a gamer hope the future holds?

Ready Player One
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

Everyone living in test tubes, controlling avatars of themselves in the outside world. Menial tasks will seem much more exciting when you don't have to physically do them yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    What do you as a gamer hope the future holds?
    I don't know I am playing games less and less to be honest they look amazing now but don't grab me the way they used to.

transition from 2d to 3d games.
    This would be the dream for me. Being able to go into a giant room (or maybe you wont need one) to play games in first-person with actual weapons in your hands... Just the feeling of movement and combat would be amazing.
    And who knows, it might even evolve into a brain simulation, where you just lie down, fall asleep, and do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Archon14 View Post
    This would be the dream for me. Being able to go into a giant room (or maybe you wont need one) to play games in first-person with actual weapons in your hands... Just the feeling of movement and combat would be amazing.
    And who knows, it might even evolve into a brain simulation, where you just lie down, fall asleep, and do the same thing.
    Hahaha, you all think you want a 3d game, but as soon as you realise its not possible to run for hours at a time and it takes you 45min to walk from Darkshire to Stormwind you'll get over it. Not to mention in your scenario for FPS games, when you get shot the army use systems where they strap electrodes to you to help teach you not to get hit, see how long you like getting electrocuted for.

Deleted
    That sounds awesome, Augmented reality could be amazing if there were special facilities for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheDestinatus View Post
    Hahaha, you all think you want a 3d game, but as soon as you realise its not possible to run for hours at a time and it takes you 45min to walk from Darkshire to Stormwind you'll get over it. Not to mention in your scenario for FPS games, when you get shot the army use systems where they strap electrodes to you to help teach you not to get hit, see how long you like getting electrocuted for.
    I'd say it's a damn good way to get all those lazy gamers into shape :P

Everyone living in test tubes, controlling avatars of themselves in the outside world. Menial tasks will seem much more exciting when you don't have to physically do them yourself.
    Oh wow. Robotics via manual control because we are too lazy to walk around? That's amazing. Do we still get to hump each other manually?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Oh wow. Robotics via manual control because we are too lazy to walk around? That's amazing. Do we still get to hump each other manually?
    There's an app for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    I take it you haven't seen Surrogates the movie, you can get out of your control chamber but you look like a pasty, flabby piece of shit because you haven't been outside or exercised for months at a time.

Game developers would compensate for the size of the world. Why walk for 2 hours when you can play a 15 minute map like in CS or something.
    I don't mind getting killed feels as getting killed, as long as I'm not actually dead.
    Also, walking for hours isn't a problem if you plan to spend the whole day playing and there is a bench with tacos nearby.

The Holodeck on the Enterprise seems like a lofty goal.

A big driver will be the available human-computer interfaces. The Kinnect for example, can it be refined so that it can see what each finger is doing? Sitting in front of your computer using your hands might be a great interface.

Game developers would compensate for the size of the world. Why walk for 2 hours when you can play a 15 minute map like in CS or something.
    I don't mind getting killed feels as getting killed, as long as I'm not actually dead.
    Also, walking for hours isn't a problem if you plan to spend the whole day playing and there is a bench with tacos nearby.
    Have you ever tried to fun for 15min straight whilst you hold your arms up? Good luck with that, no doubt people would get exercise from it but it would be like playing Wii tennis+Wii sports jogging at the same time for 15min at a time. I think it would be amusing to watch.

Have you ever tried to fun for 15min straight whilst you hold your arms up? Good luck with that, no doubt people would get exercise from it but it would be like playing Wii tennis+Wii sports jogging at the same time for 15min at a time. I think it would be amusing to watch.
    Actually I have walked and ran for a long periods of time. But that's not the point.
    1. Yes, it would be extremely funny stabing fat people while they try to roll/dash (just don't choose to get offended by this crap please)
    2. If the world is like a real size WoW, you can have a break, you have mounts, flight paths, you have options... The progress might be slower, but the fun...

Even more advanced AI is what I'm looking forward to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Even more advanced AI is what I'm looking forward to.
    I wonder if one day we can have AI in games so advanced that each NPC would be a fully fleshed out person, with thought processes based from experiences, it would be eery but fascinating to have different interactions with characters in each play through.

Actually I have walked and ran for a long periods of time. But that's not the point.
    1. Yes, it would be extremely funny stabing fat people while they try to roll/dash (just don't choose to get offended by this crap please)
    2. If the world is like a real size WoW, you can have a break, you have mounts, flight paths, you have options... The progress might be slower, but the fun...
    You can have mounts, but to be a true 3d experience I imagine you would have to do something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra919LOHlWU

I wonder if one day we can have AI in games so advanced that each NPC would be a fully fleshed out person, with thought processes based from experiences, it would be eery but fascinating to have different interactions with characters in each play through.
    NPC's that are like real people, in a game which is a simulation in your mind, might just be the tip that turns people into prefering the game over real life.

Not that I'm complaining.

the return of 3d platformers
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    the return of 3d platformers
    A future I could die happily in.