Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Libertarianism isn't winning, that isn't to say it is losing either society is just changing. I would say liberals and conservatism are in a war right now, along with different generation and people from all background. As for me I know which side I am on, and I am not willing to back down anymore, maybe when I was younger but not going forward, too much on the line.

I personally stand totally convicted on liberal ideas and principles to the point yes, I am willing to fight for it, and I can only speak for me, and if the fight comes down win or lose, I rather have the fight even if it's just the Arena of Ideas, because it means that much to me.

Clean Water
    Sustainable Energy
    The end of physical human suffering
    Unity and Equality from all peoples, all backgrounds or tribes
    A world with no borders, a time where as a planet we act as one
    and a delicate and soft balance with nature

Anything that gets in the way of that is the enemy, there is no middle ground on the issues that achieve that end.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2016-01-21 at 07:58 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I am totally convicted to truth. Not liberal ideas as such. I just like what has been labeled as liberalism, and some of what has been called conservatism. Like conserving our environment, being efficient with our resources, etc.
    And I will also fight for truth above cultural conditioning, or popular thoughts of the day.
    I think truth has traditionally had a way of being very subjective, even though that is not exactly how it is ever supposed to go, and while there are some truths to reality that are harsh, I think those most ignorant to those truths tend to be the biggest liars of all.

As for you, I see you post, I personally wouldn't call you liberal at all, probably most likely libertarian, but honestly, I don't personally view that as any better than conservatism, in some cases it's often worse because most people I considered extreme fence sitters generally are Libertarians now days, either because they used to be conservative, or never really liberal.

Either way, I don't think labels for the most part matter, so if you say YOU are a liberal who am I to argue, but I don't have any illusions that we are on the same side or that you even have a side or whatever, more importantly I don't think it matters.

The thing that matters most to me over all is method, not only what someone believes or how they thing, but why. Because one of the easiest ways to spot a phony in anything is to explore that question of why does this person believe this or that.

And if you do the more POPULAR thing, you suggest that you only use a purely scientific approach or one of unbiased, and to me that, it a tell sign of not only a liar, but someone who has no fucking idea about anything.

Because at the end of the day, none of this shit even fucking matters to you, then there really is no logical or reasonable point to put fourth any effort.

10+ Year Old Account
    You kind of followed with where I was going... That is exactly right truth is pretty much "subjective". And that goes for you, me, and everyone else.

So why does your truth, or mine, or someone else have to be forced as "the truth"?
    That is a good and honest question, and if one is honest sometimes, it just comes down to one will over another, I mean I know that isn't pretty or poetic, but it is honest. You do what the fuck I say because I say so, and if you don't then it can be straightened out once and for all.

I do not subscribe to that, because I am not a fucking savage or an animal. I believe in morals and codes, not so much for the sake of sentimentality, but at least an attempt towards some order and civility.

but that being said, just because that is my method doesn't mean others subscribe to it, and one way another it comes down to a negotiation. That is also something you have accept at some point if you ever want to be close to objective truth.

People, culture, morality, etc, change; Truth is what humanity thinks is true for that particular time. It may change, and it may not. That is truth; nothing ever stays the same. Change, entropy are constant. So the only permanent thing in the universe is "change".

Have you seen the discussions I have had here where I challenge the popular scientific thinking on things like consciousness, AI, and morality?

Science is a tool, it is not a religion to me; If it shows something to be so, I accept it until it shows it to be wrong, and another thing is right, and then I change my mind.

Science is never certain. Neither should your ideology be.
    Some rules change, some frame works fail, and have to be reworked, so as science changes as does nature, I am open to that, but some things I am just not, and there is no room for negotiation.

For instance global warming is real, our resources on this planet are very finite and precious, and should be protected, human beings need basics in life, not simply out of compassion, but because if we don't deal things like poverty, we will never evolve and progress as a species, and that has to be done humanly.

Racism, sexism, homophobia are stupid crippling realities, every human being individually is as different from each other as groups of people who happen to have the same physical properties. People have to be able to live sustainable too with their environment and have access to things just for themselves. Because every man woman and child deserves that.

There really is no middle ground on that, there just isn't and if you are willing to ever compromise on that, as I said, it doesn't matter what you call yourself or I call myself, if a person doesn't have those basic core understandings about reality, then they aren't on my side, and those that try to get in the way of that kind if progress to me are the enemy.

As I said Connel we might be both Liberal, you could even be authoritarian, it doesn't mean we are on the same side or like one another if you aren't 100% in support of those ideals.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2016-01-21 at 08:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not sure why you think I am against those things. I am all for making those things legal(or making it more "libertarian", meaning they should not be in law to begin with), and fighting pollution, etc, which causes global warming.

But there is a better way of doing besides "I said so, do as I say or go to jail".

Education, Exposure, Change, being the three "peaceful" ways. If people still harm others, put them into prison, and then try your best to make them see the errors of their actions.

Being rational and seeing why that way is the least harmful should be self evident.
    I am not saying you are for or against anything, I am just saying just because you are maybe liberal, and I know am doesn't mean we are on the same side or the same team.

We might agree on some issues, like I might agree with a conservatives for entirely different reasons.

Just like Me being Authoritarian Liberal, and you being Libertarian, we could also agree on issues, maybe for the same reason, but typically we believe in executing that by completely different methods.

Which in and of itself makes just just as far apart and Liberal and Conservative are, and I think that is an important distinction that has been made.

Prime example you just made you believe 'there is a better way of doing besides "I said so, do as I say or go to jail". Yep, I agree probably for the same reason, but unlike you while I DO share that idea, I don't believe there always is and I am ok with putting the right people behind bars.

Such as murderers, and rapist, and people commit violent acts, and while I do believe prison should be a place for rehabilitation, I also have zero problem having someone held down and injected with a tracking GPS monitor, for fucking life.

We are not the same at all Connel because we are both liberal.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like there's going to be a point in time where our society turns into such shit that literally everything will be censored or altered in a way that doesn't offend anybody. It will be such a gray society that people will look like drones. There will be hardly any human interaction because either of fear of being called racist or sexist or because their faces will be stuck to electronic screens or they'll just be at home...stuck on their electronic screens. Pretty much everything will be online from shopping to gaming. New generations of kids will forget what paper even is because of how digital the world is going to become.

Lets just say I'm not looking forward to the future. This is why I am always constantly wishing I was born earlier like in the 50s or something so I don't have to live through the shit future and I would be too old to even care about today's generation which also sucks.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Soylent Green.

It's only logical.

Deleted
    At the age of 18, you are initiated into the nature of reality by taking a heavy dose of psilocybin mushrooms in ceremony.

I see myself being 74 and raising my arm with a clenched fist while saying "today's youth!"

Deleted
    I foresee a world where humans have transcended our physical limitations via the use of technology - even more so then now.
    Remember the old saying? "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke

For example companion drones following you around 24/7 allowing you a 360 degree field of view via multiple cameras and a contact lenses that function similar to a fashion of google glass. You can even see yourself walking obviously and see around corners.

Also human interaction with doors, cars and each other will be much different due to the augmented reality that contact lenses like that would offer. Holograms everywhere will become the norm. The smart phone as we know it will disappear as your flying companion drone(s) will carry the hardware so you do not have to.

We will likely also venture to the uncanny valley of modifying our bodies with machinery, but we likely wont start sawing off our own legs or anything like that. More likely "clothes" that let you jump higher and run faster will be a more fashionable choice.

A revolution in transport will also take place. Self-driving cars, new propulsion engine or significant advancements in current ones will allow us to fly to a certain extent.
    Which in turn will allow us to construct buildings differently. Architecture will "start" getting adjusted to us as flying beings.

Physical money will no longer exist in "most" western societies as it becomes replaces with digital credit. Borders between countries will start to dissolve and power will become more de-centralized.

Humans may very well walk around the streets looking like this:

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    50 years? Pfft. I am not going to be here and if some things continue to get worse like they have been going, I am glad I will not be.

Issac Newton predicted the world as we know it would end in 2060 based on his studies of the time tables in the Bible. I know, he was a physicist, so many respect him for that, but few know he was also a deeply religious person. So if he was correct, this world does not have 50 years left. And by the way, his prediction was not very popular at the time as many felt it was going to happen a lot sooner.

The world will be one huge cannibal...

7+ Year Old Account
    Some of the people here have very low faith in humanity. Cheer up guys, it's not as bad as you think, and a lot better than the past. All the instant news coverage is making you depressed. Remember, the news only reports on what bleeds, rarely any good news. For that you have to look for it yourself.
    Yeah truth. If Fox news was around to report in the Dark Ages, this would be considered a paradise of free will, politically sound living etc. Just like the next two millennia will look at us as barbarians. It's all on the side of history you are on
    Protect the weak. Punish the wicked.
    If you have something bad to say about Blizz, come at me bro.

Some of the people here have very low faith in humanity. Cheer up guys, it's not as bad as you think, and a lot better than the past. All the instant news coverage is making you depressed. Remember, the news only reports on what bleeds, rarely any good news. For that you have to look for it yourself.
    This. While we are nowhere near an utopian state, we are progressing now. Much like a dogs on the other side of a wall, one day we shall tear that wall down and face the dogs that are our issues and problems.

That's the problem; faith in humanity goes both ways; it can either redeem or condemn. Optimism or cynicism.

Population keeps growing...Holocene Extinction event is ongoing as we speak. Ecosystems are directly threatened every day. Humanity as a whole won't be able to adequately feed itself in time, but too many people prefer "As long as I get mine, I don't care." They favor the "Better to be a king in Hell than a slave to Heaven" attitude. Global Warming, pollution...

10+ Year Old Account
    If you asked someone 50 years ago what he/she envisioned what the world would be like 50 years into their future, they would express their opinion based primarily on 2 things....hope and fear.

For one they would predict cancer would be cured and space travel would be as common as airplane flights are now. Robots would be as smart as humans are and do all of our dangerous work. Those have turned out to be wrong. Humanity continues to be just as blood thirsty and a plague on the land as it was 2000 thousand years ago.

Now if you had told me 50 years ago ( yes I was alive and old enough to understand the point ) I would have what I do now and live like I am now, I would have told you that is a pipe dream. So I am not all negative about the future. Just realistic at times.

We will never be as far as the movies show us to be. I think its sad reality has so many limits but you have to accept it as it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    My ideal world in 50 years:
    1. United mankind, no stupid division by race/nation/religion/any other crap.
    2. Greatly enhanced humans either by genetic engineering or cybernetic implants. Life expectancy raised to 200-250 years.
    3. Poverty/wealth eliminated. Everyone gets equal opportunities to contribute to society in a way they prefer. If a person does not want to contribute, he/she gets removed from society to a special recreational environment. There's always a way to come back in case a person changes his/her mind.
    4. Enforced birth control. People are evaluated by a variety of metrics and those who fail to meet the values, do not get the right to procreate.
    5. Many trivial jobs get taken by robots. Mankind numbers slowly shrink to around 1 billion to accomodate.
    6. Self-sustaining AI. Robots are getting the same rights as humans.

But I don't think any of it will actually happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think there is truth to this, but look at it from a different perspective; we are a lot closer to curing some forms of cancer (look up a Vice episode "Killing Cancer"), AI is just starting to take off (we can argue if it's really AI or not, but the Amazon Echo is pretty close to having the "computer" from Star Trek in your house), space exploration, thanks to SpaceX and others is now actually becoming mainstream, the Internet and information is now prevalent and accessible even to the poor.

So while we are not as far ahead as some hoped, we are getting there. As a ~30 year old, it's an exciting time to be alive in.
    Mankind has the intelligence to make life more comfortable for themselves and they have. Too many still lack the moral restraints to prevent the tragedies they cause however. Which is why in so many ways mankind is no improvement over what we where 2000 years ago. For one you believe in global warming being caused by humans. You must also know that some so called experts on that subject say it is already too late to reverse it.

I have no idea what will be in 50 years. In all past predictions we've never gotten it right. I believe that no matter what, people will find a way. It's the only thing I really have faith in.

Also, it will at least be interesting.
    ( ; , , ; )

10+ Year Old Account
    In part, yes it is caused by humans; but it won't end humanity even if we do nothing. It will make it harder for some people around the world. The earth has 0.038% carbon dioxide, Venus has 96.5%. We have a very long way to go for the runway green house effect. And that's if we do nothing. There are people and governments actively working on slowing down carbon pollution and capturing the carbon already in the air.

It's a big issue, but not a doomsday scenario.
    Oh, just so we are clear, I do not think it will be cause of the end of humanity.