Page 1 of 62
... LastLast

2016 Oscar Boycott thread

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/18/entert...tt-smith-feat/

So some special snowflakes are now boycotting the oscars because there werent enough black nominees. This is pure racism on the boycotters. Movies should be nominated based on merit, and diversity is not a merit.

Its not just Spike Lee being a jackass either. Last year all that was said was how diverse and how great it was that all these "non white" nominees were nominated and winning.

What are your thoughts? Should movies be judged on merit or diversity?

Edit: major update the academy caved, diversity is now on their agenda. I guess I'm not surprised, most of Hollywood is spineless
    Last edited by satimy; 2016-01-21 at 04:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think ill boycott in memory of Alan Rickman. He was kinda SJW.

10+ Year Old Account
    While the reason for boycotting the oscars here is stupid as well hell, I actually agree that the oscars should be shut down, and people should stop making movies for awards and instead just for the sake of making movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/18/entert...tt-smith-feat/

So some special snowflakes are now boycotting the oscars because there werent enough black nominees. This is pure racism on the boycotters. Movies should be nominated based on merit, and diversity is not a merit.

Its not just Spike Lee being a jackass either. Last year all that was said was how diverse and how great it was that all these "non white" nominees were nominated and winning.

What are your thoughts? Should movies be judged on merit or diversity?
    The entire point of judging art and giving out awards is to do it based on merit. Handing out awards based on diversity means you might as well just cancel the whole thing because at that point it's completely useless.

The more pertinent question is why there weren't better roles for colored people, roles which their fantastic performances would then have gotten them nominated for an award.

Of course, movies differ every year, and every year you can't have everything, so you might as well boycott the Oscars because not enough dogs got nominated for best actor awards, or not enough klesmer musicians got nominated for music awards.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

I've been boycotting the Oscars for 20+ years, who the fuck actually watches that boring shit anymore.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Just the usual from the regressive left. Spike Lee has been doing stupid shit like this for years (reminder that he tweeted out the address of who he thought were George Zimmerman's parents, in reality they were a completely unrelated elderly couple). Funny they do all this quoting of Dr. King and yet forget one of his most famous quotes: "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." The academy voted on who they felt deserved the award, not on the basis of the color of their skin but on the merits of each performance.

Maybe people like Lee and Pinket-Smith could consider looking beyond race and celebrating the actors who were nominated for such an honor rather than essentially crying for token nominations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Got to look at the statistics. A lot more white people act in movies - the reason is that the majority of the market audience is white - therefore you have a higher chance of a white person being nominated.

Also, Spike Lee is a dip shit. Who cares what he says.

They just aren't attending which is their choice. I have no clue why anyone would give a fuck but eh.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

10+ Year Old Account
    Merit, 100% merit. Why in the world would any form of art be judged on anything apart from that? I was raised that racism is treating another differently because of their race. By awarding someone for being a minority you are being a racist. Why on earth would you look past an amazing performance because they aren't the right skin colour?

Quote Originally Posted by Foo Foo Cuddlypoops View Post
    They just aren't attending which is their choice. I have no clue why anyone would give a fuck but eh.
    I would think the people nominated should care, as well as their fellow actors. The statements here are basically spitting in their faces, telling them that their nomination should have gone to a black person instead and that they don't deserve it, they only got it because they're white.

Jada is just pissed her husband didn't get a nod for a movie that no one cared about.

Tyler Perry of all people seems to be the reasonable voice here:

“I think that the way the Academy can stop this is very simple,” Perry said. “Rather than saying who votes, I don’t want to know who voted and how they voted, I’d just like to see the numbers. I think if we saw the numbers of how many people voted for what movie, I think a lot of this would go away. If you look at a movie like Straight Outta Compton, if The Revenant had 10,000 votes and Straight Outta Compton had 9,999 votes, that one vote made the difference. That’s what my interest would be. What are the votes? I don’t think it’s racism. I don’t think it’s madness. Just what are the votes and how does that go? Let’s get that information. Even in the presidential election, we know who voted and how they voted. I think that would solve it.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengalor View Post
    I would think the people nominated should care, as well as their fellow actors. The statements here are basically spitting in their faces, telling them that their nomination should have gone to a black person instead and that they don't deserve it, they only got it because they're white.

Which is hilarious because they are trying to give them out to people just because they are a minority. Absolutely mad! lol

Quote Originally Posted by madethisfor1post View Post
    Jada is just pissed her husband didn't get a nod for a movie that no one cared about.

Tyler Perry of all people seems to be the reasonable voice here:
    Or she felt other movies were more deserving and won't attend because she doesn't agree with the academies choices. Which is fine.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't think the Oscars are worth watching anyways. Silly reason, but then they probably weren't going to watch it anyway.

Or she felt other movies were more deserving and won't attend because she doesn't agree with the academies choices. Which is fine.
    Did you read the article? Both Spike and Jada (and the hashtag campaign) made it clear that their issue was with the skin color of the nominees, not with the movies that were voted in.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengalor View Post
    Did you read the article? Both Spike and Jada (and the hashtag campaign) made it clear that their issue was with the skin color of the nominees, not with the movies that were voted in.
    If the movies voted in didn't have blacks representing the roles to be nominated then that makes no sense. I don't recall any blacks in the Revenant for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    If the movies voted in didn't have blacks representing the roles to be nominated then that makes no sense. I don't recall any blacks in the Revenant for instance.
    It's the acting category so it's voting on specific actors for specific roles, not on an entire film.

No she thought these movies were to "white", and won't attend because "white" movies arent good enough for her

10+ Year Old Account
    You should boycott the Oscars because they're stupid as hell, before any other reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Could not care less. Oscars are a joke and Spike Lee's opinion matters for fuck all to me.
    READ and be less Ignorant.