Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...rs-purposeful/

Looks like Disney wants to "empower" women in the franchise. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post

Looks like you quoted Breitbart, a source laughed at by anyone with any integrity.

Edit: I specifically love Breitbart's method of reporting, where they hyperlink a 7 hour Youtube summit on Gender Portrayals in Media, and summarize as they see fit, while taking comments wildly out of context. For example, the woman quoted out of context in the article preceded her talk about how Disney wanted to incorporate diversity, and "that means more than ethnic diversity, it includes diversity of personality, of interest, body type....when you make diverse characters, it makes better content."
    Last edited by eschatological; 2016-04-09 at 01:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    first rey and now this new chick. Seems women are the future of sci fi
    Hi

It looks like they want to sell more toys to girls. Hopefully they'll carry this over to Marvel and we'll get to see more female superheroes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not read through the comments, so possibly already mentioned.

Is this chick in the trailers somehow related to Rey? Mother?

I'm not gonna lie, I'm mostly excited for this just because we will get to see Vader again. And by the sound of it he is going to tear shit up.

Best part of the teaser for me was the sound which im told the death star makes thats going on repeatedly in the background. And i love how they worked in what i believe is the imperial theme or Vaders theme into the main star wars theme at the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Looks like you quoted Breitbart, a source laughed at by anyone with any integrity.
    I know. They're not my favorite source either. If you have a better one with the entire quote I'd like to see it.

Edit: I specifically love Breitbart's method of reporting, where they hyperlink a 7 hour Youtube summit on Gender Portrayals in Media, and summarize as they see fit, while taking comments wildly out of context. For example, the woman quoted out of context in the article preceded her talk about how Disney wanted to incorporate diversity, and "that means more than ethnic diversity, it includes diversity of personality, of interest, body type....when you make diverse characters, it makes better content."
    Diversity for the sake of diversity doesn't make better content. Though good content is diverse, this is forcing it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    Were they ever not? Sci fi chicks have always been a thing and to my knowledge welcomed in the genre.

Deleted
    Want to cry, have noting against "empowerd" women in media, but I have probelm with the trend that a "empowerd" woman cant have weakness/flaws or need helpe. That make boring caracters.

One of the first "empower" woman in media was Jean Grey/Phoenix of marvel. She literally got powers as a demi-god, but it was not boring, becuse she have weakness/flaws like she losing controll or be influence by the Phonex force and destroy inhabited solar system.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    Say one sf-franchise that do not have women caracter in them?

10+ Year Old Account
    I was not impressed by TFA at all. It was bad fanfic, like FSG. R1 though might actually be interesting. Not because its Star Wars, but because Donnie Yen and Forest Whitaker are in it. Its a shame Wedge isn't the lead but I'm not surprised. Girls being a more lucrative target market is the reality of the industry.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Not read through the comments, so possibly already mentioned.

None knows, but i dont think so

Deleted
    -guy in the rogue one trailer is draped in white with red and blue medals on his uniform
    -main villian appears to be an old white, presumably heterosexual male wearing red white and blue
    -the villian is an anthropomorphized effigy of the United States and the paternalistic patriarchy
    -the "good guys" are a multicultural band of rogues led by a rebellious white woman

How progressive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    I know Star Wars is a space soap opera, but keep ''X is related to Y'' crap out of anthology movies.

Only place where itmakes sense is the Skywalker drama - main saga.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frektal View Post
    -guy in the rogue one trailer is draped in white with red and blue medals on his uniform
    -main villian appears to be an old white, presumably heterosexual male wearing red white and blue
    -the villian is an anthropomorphized effigy of the United States and the paternalistic patriarchy
    -the "good guys" are a multicultural band of rogues led by a rebellious white woman

How progressive.
    Actually if you knew anything about SW, you would know that the Empire was a reference to the Nazi's. The unfirom alone tells you that.
    And the "multicultural rebels" (although only humans in ep4) were the good guys AKA the allies fighting against the Nazi's.

This being the prequels nothing has changed.
    PS: The colours of the medals and cape existed looooooooooooooooong before this "PC era"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    Want to cry, have noting against "empowerd" women in media, but I have probelm with the trend that a "empowerd" woman cant have weakness/flaws or need helpe. That make boring caracters.

One of the first "empower" woman in media was Jean Grey/Phoenix of marvel. She literally got powers as a demi-god, but it was not boring, becuse she have weakness/flaws like she losing controll or be influence by the Phonex force and destroy inhabited solar system.
    This is what I and others have been talking about - characters, especially protagonists, start off in a really bad situation, they climb the ladder and then they fail, in the process learning and figuring themselves out.

Rey is so one-dimensional even Powerpuff girls are more compelling. At least when they faced the bad guys, there was a conflict and vunlerability in them.

Rey is like Lara Croft - beating level after level, destroying monster after monster. Throw a challenge at her? She`ll overcome it, all by herself.
    Even Anakin had flaws.

10+ Year Old Account

How progressive.
    Strange reasoning, because I always saw the Rebellion as the United States. They are multiethnic (even mutli-species) and they fight against a tyrannical monarchy to restore a democratic republic where everyone would live free. That's pretty much the image that the Americans have of themselves and their history, as far as I know.

As ArgonaZe said, the Empire aesthetic was inspired by the Nazi.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I and others have been talking about - characters, especially protagonists, start off in a really bad situation, they climb the ladder and then they fail, in the process learning and figuring themselves out.

Rey is so one-dimensional even Powerpuff girls are more compelling. At least when they faced the bad guys, there was a conflict and vunlerability in them.

Rey is like Lara Croft - beating level after level, destroying monster after monster. Throw a challenge at her? She`ll overcome it, all by herself.
    Even Anakin had flaws.
    Rey had it harder in TFA than Luke in ANH, or Anakin in TPM. Yet, she is somehow "overpowered." Go figure.

What are you afraid of, guys? Afraid that strong women leads would shrink some important part of your anatomy even more?
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I know Star Wars is a space soap opera, but keep ''X is related to Y'' crap out of anthology movies.

Only place where itmakes sense is the Skywalker drama - main saga.
    I'm only asking a question. I don't want them to be related, they just look very similar to each other... and it just wouldn't surprise me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Rey had it harder in TFA than Luke in ANH, or Anakin in TPM. Yet, she is somehow "overpowered." Go figure.
    Luke saw his aunt and uncle as charred corpses. Anakin was a slave forced to leave his mother behind once he was freed. Rey was an "always been alone and know how to take care of myself" character. She didn't suffer lose or need help. She was set up as the "I can do anything myself" archetype. This new heroine is shaping up to be like that. Maybe they'll write her better but my money's on her being the leader because of "reasons" and not her ability to lead a team.

What are you afraid of, guys? Afraid that strong women leads would shrink some important part of your anatomy even more?
    Would be nice if there were "strong women leads" but so far all I'm seeing is "set up to win" scenarios. Leia was a stronger female than Rey and you don't see anyone crying about her.

Deleted

What?

I pasted this pasta a couple pages ago, just to highlight how cartoony and overpowered Rey is.
    From their first respective movies

-Luke
    Got rekt by the tusken raiders, needed Obi Wan to save him.
    Nearly got killed by the men in the cantina, need Obi Wan to save him.
    Needed Leia and Han to cover his ass constantly during the rescue mission, which ended up being a clusterfuck.
    Screwed up deflecting blaster bolts while Obi Wan was training him, never actually does that until 2 movies later.
    Rarely uses his lightsaber at all.
    Initially annoyed Han and Leia with his naivete and innocence.
    Needed R2 to save him from being crushed by the trash compactor.
    Needs Obi Wan to protect him from Vader.
    Needs Han to save him during the trench run from Vader.
    Pilots competently, doesn't do anything the other rebel pilots can't do (except aim the torpedo).
    Uses the Force once.

-Rey
    Beats up four guys by herself.
    Skilled marksman.
    Skilled mechanic.
    Knows more about the Millennium Falcon than Han and Chewie, who piloted and repaired it for years.
    Can pilot the Millennium Falcon by herself competently enough to outmaneuver two TIE fighters, even though it requires two pilots.
    Gets kidnapped once, saves herself.
    Is better at using the Force than Kylo, who trained under Luke for years.
    Is instantly knowledgeable about probing minds, telekinesis, and using Jedi mindtricks.
    Instantly skilled at using a lightsaber.
    Has super saiyan jedi mode, which no other jedi has ever used in the movies.
    May have possibly learned all of this at the ripe young age of 4, depending on her backstory.
    Instantly liked by everyone.
    Instantly trusted by the Resistance to go on a mission to find Luke, even though they barely knew her.
    Video somewhat related.

- - - Updated - - -

I want compelling characters. Rey is Darth Revan. Who is a Gary Stu. Cool story... for a video game character.

Deleted
    What?

I pasted this pasta a couple pages ago, just to highlight how cartoony and overpowered Rey is.

- - - Updated - - -

I want compelling characters. Rey is Darth Revan. Who is a Gary Stu. Cool story... for a video game character.
    What is funny is that you repost what you said earlier to make a point, and ofc you don't post the responses you got when you did. You know because it destroys your point.
    You would be good in politics.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgonaZe View Post
    What is funny is that you repost what you said earlier to make a point, and ofc you don't post the responses you got when you did. You know because it destroys your point.
    You would be good in politics.
    You focused on details.

I care about the results of said scenes - who cares if she dragged the Falcon across the desert land... she got away with it.
    Every single scene she`s in, every single obstacle she`s facing, every single problem she has to solve - she does it alone.
    Unlike Luke who was saved at least 5 times in ANH, two times in ESB and once in RoTJ.

She stomps and walks over every single threat to her - her only vulnerable moment is when Kylo stuns her... which is not a life-threatening situation.
    And when the villian ought to have humiliated her proper for the first time... she comes back twice as hard.

And when her life is in an actual danger - when Snoke requests to bring her to him - she escapes... all by herself. Unlike Leia, Han and Luke in all three movies.
    Finn and Han Solo go on a daring rescue mission only to find that all-knowing and all-wise and all-powerful Rey did it again! How convinient for Kylo - Han scene, right?

Once you take TFA apart, it just crumbles. Especially her character.

I found Kylo, Finn and even Maz Kanata a lot more fascinating than Rey. As I said - she`ll beat every obstacle in VIII as well.
    Because she`s a Disney princess now.
    Last edited by mmoce68bc1d1f8; 2016-04-09 at 02:53 PM.