Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Flavour Cat View Post
    Probably just a generic Mon Calamari. That'd be kinda lame if it was his father.
    It might be the other mon cal that is already a character in rebel's and designed the proto type for the B-Wing, he was shorter and older than Ackbar.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhoof View Post
    Grace's vid
    I like her vid.

I mean, yeah, Rey is a Marey Sue as fuck, but I still liked the character. I blame the script for that flaw, not the actress. And the teaser still gives me chills. Not even exaggerating.

I'm wondering why she says may the force be with us. No one really new about the force at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ateup View Post
    I'm wondering why she says may the force be with us. No one really new about the force at this time.
    that's like saying only 90's kids remember.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Luke knew what the Force was, just as a casual moisture farmer. But he knew of it only in a vague, legendary sense.

Of course, I think in this movie, someone probably explains it to her (I believe Donnie Yen is some sort of trainer in fighting), and she's saying it sarcastically.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Luke knew what the Force was, just as a casual moisture farmer. But he knew of it only in a vague, legendary sense.

Of course, I think in this movie, someone probably explains it to her (I believe Donnie Yen is some sort of trainer in fighting), and she's saying it sarcastically.
    Actually its a common saying in the Rebel Alliance even when there were like just a few jedi fighting on their side.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Luke didn't know what the force was until Obi Wan taught him. Obi Wan was treated like an old kook by everyone. Han Solo had been all over the galaxy and didn't know about the force. Vader got made fun of for believing in the force. Shit, even in TFA they treat the force and those involved as 'legends' and 'myths.'

Don't act like it was some popular belief system and don't bring me any of that crap from the prequels.

Luke didn't know what the force was until Obi Wan taught him. Obi Wan was treated like an old kook by everyone. Han Solo had been all over the galaxy and didn't know about the force. Vader got made fun of for believing in the force. Shit, even in TFA they treat the force and those involved as 'legends' and 'myths.'

Don't act like it was some popular belief system and don't bring me any of that crap from the prequels.
    Ignores all the facts and thinks he has a point.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account

We can't know for sure to what extent Luke knew about the Force. Obi Wan was not treated as an old kook because of the Force, but because he lived as an ermit. Han Solo never said he didn't know about the Force. Only that in his travels he never saw anything that can make him believe in it. The fact that Motti berates Vader for his beliefs show that he knew about the concept of the Force. However, he did not believe in it, or he saw it as obsolete before the might of the Death Star. I mean, after being choked by Vader, he must have at least believed in the Force a little... In TFA, as far as I remember, it's not as much the Force that is treated as a legend than the Jedi.

I would not say that the Force is a popular belief system, but it certainly is there as a cultural background. People have a vague knowledge of the concept, they may even believe in it, but it has no real importance in their lives. People will say "may the Force be with you" as we say "good luck" or "bless you" when someone sneezes.

And whether you like it or not, "that crap from the prequels" is part of the continuity.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Luke lived on the most backwater planet you can think of, raised by someone who deliberately kept all accurate information about his father from him. He didn't know shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Ignores all the facts and thinks he has a point.
    There is nothing for me to ignore when you don't list any facts to begin with. So, what exactly is your point?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    And whether you like it or not, "that crap from the prequels" is part of the continuity.
    The continuity that got retconned? Like how Obi Wan aged 40 years for Luke's 20 or how pretty much everything he told Luke in ANH was a lie.

There is nothing for me to ignore when you don't list any facts to begin with. So, what exactly is your point?

The continuity that got retconned? Like how Obi Wan aged 40 years for Luke's 20 or how pretty much everything he told Luke in ANH was a lie.
    From a certain point of view. He wasn't lying.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Im so freaking hyped for this man. Now people can finally stop talking about sony shitty ghostbusters. We are in Star Wars time friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    From a certain point of view. He wasn't lying.
    Only Leia was lying when she said she knew her mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Now people can finally stop talking about sony shitty ghostbusters.
    No that will be fun for at least a couple more weeks.

No that will be fun for at least a couple more weeks.
    Damnit, why .

why would people forget about the force? its taking place between episode 3 and 4, so what ever the age of luke is at the time that many years have passed before all the jedi were murdered, and everyone in the galaxy kind of knew about the jedi, and i would hope people just dont forget about a group of people with super powers without 10-20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by mizeri View Post
    why would people forget about the force? its taking place between episode 3 and 4, so what ever the age of luke is at the time that many years have passed before all the jedi were murdered, and everyone in the galaxy kind of knew about the jedi, and i would hope people just dont forget about a group of people with super powers without 10-20 years.

I think what he meant is that even with the Jedi it's kind of religious Mumbo jumbo to some.

Han wasn't a believer.
    In episode 7: the Jedi were once again, a legend.

So it would make perfect sense that in a universe with such bad long term memory, that people would be skeptical about such things. Remember, even at their hay day, the Jedi were few and the galaxy was huge. It would be perfectly normal for a person to go their whole life and never actually see anyone make mention of the force.

But again, it's plausible someone would say that. It just makes sense that it would stick out as significant.

Also: confirmed. Star Wars universe beings forget major events in the span of a single generation. I bet the person who was supposed to record Jedi history just procrastinated 10-20 years and then totally forgot what he was supposed to do. Lol
    Last edited by Tempguy; 2016-07-17 at 08:45 PM.

Ackbar was a Captain for the Royal Guard of the Mon Cal during the Clone Wars. If that is his father than he is likely much.. much.. much older than he would appear. Just saying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mizeri View Post
    why would people forget about the force? its taking place between episode 3 and 4
    people won't forget about the force. its a star wars movie, there will be some type of force powers involved.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    Also: confirmed. Star Wars universe beings forget major events in the span of a single generation. I bet the person who was supposed to record Jedi history just procrastinated 10-20 years and then totally forgot what he was supposed to do. Lol
    It's not just droids memories that get wiped when they get irritatingly quirky...
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."