Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The new trailer was so bad it killed Kenny Baker. RIP.

It seems to me the entire purpose of the trailer was to show how Benetton they are: "look! a female protagonist! a Chinese! a Black!" I wish they made more good movies these days instead of "multiculturalism" and feminism poster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    It seems to me the entire purpose of the trailer was to show how Benetton they are: "look! a female protagonist! a Chinese! a Black!" I wish they made more good movies these days instead of "multiculturalism" and feminism poster.
    Who, I didn't even realize how diverse the cast was before you mentioned it. Maybe because most people don't look out for stuff like that. Star Wars has always featured. Why can't it be that they how the characters were written, and not to push some sort of agenda?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Who, I didn't even realize how diverse the cast was before you mentioned it. Maybe because most people don't look out for stuff like that. Star Wars has always featured. Why can't it be that they how the characters were written, and not to push some sort of agenda?
    Yeah I always considered Star Wars diverse. Just look at all the different aliens in the Cantina and in Jabba's Palace. I am not sure you can assume that was by chance or how it was written though. The oscar's took a lot of heat last year for being "too white." You also have that Wall of China movie where that asian actress was crying on the net because they used a white guy. So Hollywood is keenly aware of the diversity "issue."

Personally, I do not care about the race of the actors at all. I care about the quality of the story, acting and special effects. I don't care if the actors/actresses are men or women or what color their skin is... seems petty really.

I cannot suspend my belief so much.
    The female protagonist (is she a pilot too, which are exceedingly rare?) looks like a hero from a teenage girl adventure novel (like Hunger games, Divergent, etc.)
    The racial diversity is exaggerated too, you don't see that in a real life.
    If you don't believe in the cast, how can you feel empathy for them?

10+ Year Old Account
    The female protagonist (is she a pilot too, which are exceedingly rare?) looks like a hero from a teenage girl adventure novel (like Hunger games, Divergent, etc.)
    Have you never seen a Star Wars movie?

True, most people aren't rabid SJWs who push for diversity and representation.

10+ Year Old Account
    But... we know how it ends...

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    When I watched the trailer I just thought, "Damn, I can't wait to learn more about these characters." I didn't think, "Why aren't more of these characters white?"
    Gotta wonder at times...

I mean maybe I should start asking "Why aren't more of these characters alien looking?"

Kinda funny that the rumor mill is buzzing with the idea that everything we know about "Jyn Erso" is a complete fabrication to hide her real identity; Princess Leia.

What a world we live in where someone would type in seeming earnest, "a woman, a black guy, an Asian" is too much multiculturalism.

The thing with most sci-fi/futuristic fantasy worlds is that they assume a level of multiculturism that doesn't exist in real life. They're idyllic in that sense. Were you bothered in Firefly when the mechanic was a woman, the preacher was a black guy, and the 2nd Mate who was married to the pilot was a black woman?

Star Wars has generally been that diverse in terms of representing life, but they are also a product of being produced in the late 70s, when there wasn't much diversity in Hollywood (even though Lucas wanted to represent the diversity of the universe in say, the Cantina, etc).

Deleted
    You must have hated Force Awakens

10+ Year Old Account
    I was just wondering why there doesn't seem to be any women under the "command" of the female protagonist. Is it because women are only allowed to be shown as "powerful" now? Need moar womenz!

Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    I was just wondering why there doesn't seem to be any women under the "command" of the female protagonist. Is it because women are only allowed to be shown as "powerful" now? Need moar womenz!
    She's under the command of Mon Mothma herself, but that's a convenient thing you overlooked. Also the fact that she's a prisoner and probably had little choice in terms of doing this mission.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    She's under the command of Mon Mothma herself, but that's a convenient thing you overlooked. Also the fact that she's a prisoner and probably had little choice in terms of doing this mission.
    Still, only one woman on the team. Why not more?

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    You must have hated Force Awakens
    Tackhisis hates everything

10+ Year Old Account
    Basically what I'm saying is women don't have to be either the protagonist or nothing at all. They can fill both protagonist and support roles. Movies that throw in a female protagonist should make sure not to forget that they can place females in support roles as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valeron View Post
    Tackhisis hates everything
    Truer words have never been spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    What a world we live in where someone would type in seeming earnest, "a woman, a black guy, an Asian" is too much multiculturalism.
    Yeah, I mean, at least he should be happy that they're minor stereotypes/archetypes :P Blind master martial artist asian, badass soldier black guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    What I want to see is a competent Imperial force in this movie. Imperials only seen as competent in the cartoons or the books, its hard for someone who has just seen the movies to rationalize the Empire being able to subjugate the galaxy, or even that the Empire is bad (except for Alderaan and Vader choking his own people). I want to see an Empire where their 20-30 year reign is justified, not that one that easily beaten by a small group.

What I want to see is a competent Imperial force in this movie. Imperials only seen as competent in the cartoons or the books, its hard for someone who has just seen the movies to rationalize the Empire being able to subjugate the galaxy, or even that the Empire is bad (except for Alderaan and Vader choking his own people). I want to see an Empire where their 20-30 year reign is justified, not that one that easily beaten by a small group.
    Star wars rebels.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.