Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

School shooting in Lac La Loche, Northern Saskatchewan

5 people are dead following a high school shooting in Lac La Loche in Northern Saskatchewan.

No news yet as to whether they are faculty or students, or under what circumstances the shooting occurred.

Very sad, obviously, and a testament to the fact that gun issues are not restricted to the US.

A link to the CBC coverage twitter feed.

Update: Shooter is in custody, 5 confirmed dead and 2 injured.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2016-01-22 at 11:53 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    5 people are dead following a high school shooting in Lac La Loche in Northern Saskatchewan.

No news yet as to whether they are faculty or students, or under what circumstances the shooting occurred.

Very sad, obviously, and a testament to the fact that gun issues are not restricted to the US.

This is terrible to hear, heart goes out to the victims and their family and friends

Also the difference is that the US gun issues happen significantly more frequently. No country is immune to gun problems, they all have something happen at some point sadly.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I heard five people were killed? How is Canada going to coupe with losing half their population?

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    I heard five people were killed? How is Canada going to coupe with losing half their population?
    Cope...

They have enough people to play a few Hockey games, not to worry!

10+ Year Old Account
    5 makes it the worst school shooting in Canada since the École Polytechnique massacre in 1989.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by enragedgorilla View Post
    Cope...

They have enough people to play a few Hockey games, not to worry!
    Spelling is fer shumps.

Why isn't it illegal for people to bring guns into a school in Canada, I thought they had pretty strict gun laws up there?

15+ Year Old Account
    I thought this didn't happen in other established countries
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together

Quote Originally Posted by Roxinius View Post
    Obviously too close to America.

totally tubular
    [Kawaii c@girl IRL]

Better confiscate everyones guns, for the children.

5 people killed, and it's one of the worst school shootings in more than a decade. Where as shootings this bad or worse happen damn near once a week in the US. No difference at all of course

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Why isn't it illegal for people to bring guns into a school in Canada, I thought they had pretty strict gun laws up there?
    Because someone that really wants a gun, is going to get it. Laws mean nothing to someone who wants to take lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Better confiscate everyones guns, for the children.
    Better idea, guns for everyone. If everyone had a gun these things wouldn't happen.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wonder whether or not the shooter was apologizing with every shot.

on a serious note. this is tragic, one asshole deciding that his pityful life is a waste so instead of doing the world a favor and only off himself he has to run around killing other people. :|

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, seeing as something of this magnitude hasn't happened in Canada since 1989, and let's see... how many mass school shootings have their been in the US since 1989?

I'd say the place with fewer school shootings is doing something right that the other place with more isn't doing. And fighting bitterly against sensible firearm restrictions doesn't seem to be one of those things.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Umm, not to be patronizing, but we really shouldnt need to point out the incredible stupidity of this comment.

Nobody has ever claimed that gun issues are restricted to the US. Anybody with half a brain can tell you that shootings, or any other type of violent crime, happen damn near everywhere. The "issue" is that gun problems are astronomically higher in the states compared to just about any other part of the civilized world. As somebody above pointed out, the death toll of 5 makes this the most deadly shooting of it's kind in in nearly 2 decades. Meanwhile, you guys had what? nearly one incdent classified as a "mass shooting" a DAY in the US last year. But hey, a shooting happened in Canada, so that must mean that everybody has similar gun problems........

Unemployment runs above 20 percent in the area but three-quarters of working-age people are classified as retired or not looking for work, according to 2011 government figures. Residents say the real unemployment rate is above 50 percent.

In 2014, a teacher expressed concern about violence at the La Loche school, noting that a student who had tried to stab her was put back in her classroom after serving his sentence, and another attacked her at her home.

"That student got 10 months," Janice Wilson told the CBC of the student who tried to stab her in class. "And when he was released he was returned to the school and was put in my classroom."

I didn't know there were places like this in Canada. Are there a lot of Native Americans?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted

I'm sorry but this is such a fucking stupid statement. 5 dead is nothing (although it's unfortunate and sad they lost their lives) and this is the worst in a decade? How often do you hear about shootings where 5+ die in the US? Once a week?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cellineth View Post
    I'm sorry but this is such a fucking stupid statement. 5 dead is nothing (although it's unfortunate and sad they lost their lives) and this is the worst in a decade? How often do you hear about shootings where 5+ die in the US? Once a week?
    A post up above said this was the worst since 1989, so almost 3 decades.

I find it a little saddening though that almost instantly the thread devolves into the usual guns are good, guns are bad, usa, somewhere else, ban this, more of them that, look it happens in the rest of the world too etc etc etc

I say devolves, the OP did start it off with retarded statements.