Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Question Are US Citizens Too Stupid for Democracy?

Sometimes I look at the large picture of things and I see many Americans voting against their own interests and I have to wonder if democracy is really a blessing for such people.

10+ Year Old Account
    short answer is yes

Long answer is far more complex.

Deleted
    Democracy is freedom to choose, but perhaps the people choosing are too easily swayed by appeals to emotion and fear, and not actually qualified to be choosing between the things laid before them.

Something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    Sometimes I look at the large picture of things and I see many Americans voting against their own interests and I have to wonder if democracy is really a blessing for such people.
    Even money says this thread gets shut down

10+ Year Old Account
    Better question: are you an American?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

IDK, we've got a large city with a poisoned water supply in large part because the State government decided they needed to suspect democracy in the area.

10+ Year Old Account
    The title will probably get this thread closed fast... But in general, yes, the majority of people in any country do not really understand how the government functions and make wrong decisions out of good intentions. I personally have messed up enough things in my life to know that I am not someone who should be voting for the direction the country should move in.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Better question: are you an American?
    Yes, I am.

I see many Americans voting against their own interests.
    You must have supernatural powers.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    The title will probably get this thread closed fast... But in general, yes, the majority of people in any country do not really understand how the government functions and make wrong decisions out of good intentions.
    I understand that the title is provocative, but it is also very clear and straight forward. Why sugar coat things?

I understand that the title is provocative, but it is also very clear and straight forward. Why sugar coat things?
    Clear & Straightforward = Thread cannot be closed!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    You must have supernatural powers.
    No, I just read policy then observe how Americans vote. It's not that difficult.

You really are pushing the One world Government totalitarian angle tonight. I guess your not a big fan of FReedom?
    Most of the world tyrants and dictators have the same thought process as you. Generally results in massive loss of live for the citizens.

This thead will be closed in 3...2...1...

There's no such a thing as "being too stupid for democracy", because that's the point of democracy - everyone can vote.

If you live in a country with 3 other people only and they vote you to act like a dog(they have majority - 75%) and if you don't then they have right to beat you up then better act like a dog...

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    short answer is yes

Long answer is far more complex.
    Are you from US? If you are - then you're stupid, at least that what you said about yourself. :-|

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkdeii View Post
    On the other end of things, many other countries are creating laws that could seem totalitarian. I'll take trump over a totalitarian government any day
    Trump is totalitarian government.

No, I just read policy then observe how Americans vote. It's not that difficult.
    Reading and Observing isn't difficult since everyone has the capability to read or observe.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post

There's no such a thing as "being too stupid for democracy", because that's the point of democracy - everyone can vote.

If you live in a country with 3 other people only and they vote you to act like a dog(they have majority - 75%) and if you don't then they have right to beat you up then better act like a dog...

Not according to researchers and Cornell.
    Last edited by nanook12; 2016-01-24 at 11:43 PM.

Who are you to decide what is in the best interest of the voters? You must be a really young kid.

Not according to researchers and Cornell.
    And the source of that video is from 'Yahoo!'

Don't even get me started with 'Yahoo!'

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post

Are you from US? If you are - then you're stupid, at least that what you said about yourself. :-|
    I am from the U.S and I consider myself more oblivious than stupid.