Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    What the fuck are you doing. Just no. Stop it. Few people enjoy being shamed but making it a fucking university course is goddamn retarded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Social Justice Warriors, a new fight at hand!

No longer should the fatties be oppressed. No longer should the be guilty about that third Big Mac. No longer should they feel like they are being judged in the buffet line. No longer should the have to put up with thin people flaunting their thin-privilege.

Take up your arms and fight for justice!
    Last edited by PACOX; 2016-01-25 at 02:32 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Yea, I think I'll move to Korea where everyone is a healthy weight and being fat is shamed. North America... *Shakes head*
    Yeah nope.
    Calgary certainly isn't the greatest place in Canada but it sure beats Korea.

Fatness is stigmatized for the same reason that all sorts of bad behaviors and outcomes are. These people can push as much as they like, they're never going to sell normal people on being attracted to them or considering their degenerate behavior acceptable.

The people this is geared to would never take it, even if it was free.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see no issue with educating people on how to live healthy.

Fat studies courses typically advocate against the position that obesity is unhealthy or undesirable, instead calling for understanding and acceptance. One such course offered by the University of Maryland College Park, singles out dieting as a “special enemy” that must be defeated.
    "Fat is not unhealthy!"

"Become a behemoth and we'll tell people to be attracted to you - at their own expense for the course!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    You see, here's the problem:

The other day I went to the grocery store. I went to the winter squash, because I fucking love Acorn Squash. To my dismay there was only Kobacha Squash, and the merchandise tag underneath it said "Acorn Squash" and there was no tag for Kobacha Squash.

People simply don't know SFA about food. There's big money in misinformation about food. The dietary misinformation industrial complex. At least 3-5 times a week I hear somebody saying that fruit juice is healthy... If you were to juice a fruit... then strain out the pulp, and eat only the pulp (and dump the juice down the drain) then yeah... it's healthy. Otherwise you're just drinking fruit-flavored sugar water.

And as far as Vitamin C goes, the amount you need is absurd. 1 single serving of green vegetables gives you your entire daily dose of Vitamin C and there's absolutely zero benefit to consuming more than the daily dose.

I saw a website claiming that free-run eggs were no better than cage eggs because they had the exact same amount of Vitamin A and Vitamin E as cage eggs (even though the study they were quoting showed that other than Vitamin A and Vitamin E (which there's no scientific evidence of it having any benefit at all of course) free run eggs had more of pretty much every single possible micro-nutrient. And of course the website calls itself "Science 2.0" and it's really nothing more than a bunch of big business types who shill for the status quo in society with "science".

We don't need to teach courses about fat people. We need to get rid of paid lobbyism and actually get people the correct information about food.
    My favorite thing is when they take out whatever is "bad" for the moment (let's pick trans fats!) and replace it with something equally bad that no one is really talking about (more sugar!) at the time. ._.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Fatness is stigmatized for the same reason that all sorts of bad behaviors and outcomes are. These people can push as much as they like, they're never going to sell normal people on being attracted to them or considering their degenerate behavior acceptable.
    Just using this as a jumping off point...

I am not concerned about the aesthetics of individuals being overweight, more concerned with the health implications inherent in obesity and the subsequent increased health care costs that all of us have to bear. This generation will be the first generation that will likely not have a lifespan that is longer than that of previous generations, barring some sort of miraculous anti-aging breakthrough.

Both skinny and overweight people can engage in unhealthy behaviors; the prevalence of unhealthy behaviors need to be addressed no matter the body type of the individual in question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good, now if we could only have a stupid awareness study, where groups focus on malignant narcissistic assholes with the fit need to treat other people like shit, and wonder why their is a problem with that said group. I think it would be a better course in prison than college though.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    When did Universities forget their degree's are actually suppose to be able to help you get a job? Way to many BS degree's these days.

So what company would hire a fat studies major?

What's their salary looking like? Does it go above computer literacy and awards or above relevant work experience?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rickmagnus View Post
    When did Universities forget their degree's are actually suppose to be able to help you get a job? Way to many BS degree's these days.

A good while ago actually. Few degrees directly correlate with jobs. Kinda silly how far it's gotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Here's my advice:

#1. People who say snack on vegetables are full of crap. Your body won't turn off the hunger signal until you eat something caloric. You'll just be ravenous and full of celery sticks.

-snip-

#7. Being hungry won't kill you. There's people out there right now who haven't eaten anything in weeks. Your hunger is nothing.
    #8. Make a journal of what you eat. People might think this is dumb and won't help, but it's actually one of the most important steps to losing weight. People end up eat more than they plan because they aren't keeping track.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Roostercogburn View Post
    A good while ago actually. Few degrees directly correlate with jobs. Kinda silly how far it's gotten.
    I blame universities for this; college counselors espouse bullshit about how you can do x with y degree and for liberal arts majors, most of it is nonsense.

Indeed, one could get a decent job with any sort of bachelor's degree at one point in time. But that was several decades ago at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickmagnus View Post
    Actually Universities aren't responsible for that, they are responsible for educating you and enriching your experience as a human being by that, what they do just happens to be profitable because by doing so it creates valuable human beings who contribute to the world in some meaningful way, whether YOU or anybody else agrees or finds it popular.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I blame universities for this; college counselors espouse bullshit about how you can do x with y degree and for liberal arts majors, most of it is nonsense.

Indeed, one could get a decent job with any sort of bachelor's degree at one point in time. But that was several decades ago at this point.
    Well typically shit like that is why community college, or trade schools have gotten popular, the only real reason for them is to run a scam that if you get educated the incentive is that someone will hire and pay you, which is why colleges are actually more fucked up.

Fat bottomed girls, you make the rockin' world go round

Shouldn't "Fat Studies" courses be called "Health"?

*reads more carefully* Ah, I guess not. Perhaps "Anti-Health" or "How to ensure a slow, young death by diabetes"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't need to take a course to know it's bad for you to shovel high processed sugary food into your gullet.
    Hi