Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    There is reason we don't use DDT. Why are you even talking about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    There's an element of the lunatic rightwing in the US that hates Rachel Carson, and opposition to DDT (and other persistent pesticides) was one of her big things.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

The silver lining is that my country (chile) does not have the mosquito that spreads the disease, so... you're welcome tourists
    we're mostly safe because of the andean mountain range, and the pacific ocean.
    OT: if i'm correct you could mutate some males so that in 4 or 5 generations all of said specimens descendants will die
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Multiple reasons actually.

And because their ideology states one of those reasons is invalid and they are ignorant of the other reasons.

People seem to have gotten it into their heads that DDT is god's own insecticide and it's only because of those liberal environmentalists that we don't use it and have a mosquito-free utopia.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Multiple reasons actually.

And because their ideology states one of those reasons is invalid and they are ignorant of the other reasons.

People seem to have gotten it into their heads that DDT is god's own insecticide and it's only because of those liberal environmentalists that we don't use it and have a mosquito-free utopia.
    There's a reasonable reason to think it's "god's own insecticide." It worked.

Here's where Malaria was in the US in the 1880s:

It's nowhere in the US today. DDT was a huge part of the reason for that, along with other insecticides and awareness campaigns.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

That stuff (and others) worked in USSR too. There was a moment when chemistry was the wonderscience and true and right.
    Of course, then it was found out that there are complications to it's use, just like elsewhere in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh yay! Another virus for people to freak out about!
    Putin khuliyo

"babies being born with underdeveloped brains" Isn't this the case already with most people from NA? EleGiggle

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    You realize that mosquitoes don't follow illegal immigrants like they're the bestest food ever, right?

Diseases born by pests migrate regardless of immigration. Trying to blame it on "those immigrants bringing us diseases" is a shitty tactic when you realize mosquitos don't give a fuck about immigration.
    But Mexican blood tastes like salsa!!!!!
    Putin khuliyo