Ps3 CECHE01 backwards compatibility questions.

I am considering getting one of these ps3 systems to play both ps3 and ps2 games. I seen one on ebay for cheap and in working shape.

So I got a couple questions if anyone can answer them.

1. I read this model has the most problems playing ps2 titles is this true? I keep seeing mixed comments about it.

2. I read that this model has way less chance of overheating compared to the others is this true.

Any details anyone can give me about this model of ps3 would be useful.

Thanks for ur time.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

My advice: buy a PS2 and a newer cheaper model PS3 for cheaper if you absolutely need both...

Then you don't have to worry about either issue, I personally wouldn't touch any early model PS3s or 360s with a 10 foot pole.

PS2 Slims live forever, and PS3 slims are about as reliable as measurably possible at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I am considering getting one of these ps3 systems to play both ps3 and ps2 games. I seen one on ebay for cheap and in working shape.

So I got a couple questions if anyone can answer them.

1. I read this model has the most problems playing ps2 titles is this true? I keep seeing mixed comments about it.

2. I read that this model has way less chance of overheating compared to the others is this true.

Any details anyone can give me about this model of ps3 would be useful.

Thanks for ur time.
    You can get a cheap ps2 and a decent ps3 for ussually cheaper than a working bc capable ps3. Remember the BC ps3's were first gen, so they may have longivity issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    My advice: buy a PS2 and a newer cheaper model PS3 for cheaper if you absolutely need both...

Then you don't have to worry about either issue, I personally wouldn't touch any early model PS3s or 360s with a 10 foot pole.

PS2 Slims live forever, and PS3 slims are about as reliable as measurably possible at this time.
    I own a couple ps2's its just a pain in the ass to have so much crap hooked up to my tv. Also from personal experice i disagree about slim ps2's each one I had ether overheat or the lens quit working. I have in total owned around 12 ps2's.

I have read this model has the lease chance of overheating. Also I do got a slim ps2 i just want a two in one setup since both my ps2 and ps3 collecting is growing.

The price I am paying is $140 comes with 12 games two controllers and a bunch of extra hookup stuff.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

The lens is pretty fucking easy to clean, or even replace if necessary.

As far as overheating, PS2 slim overheating? LoL first I have ever heard of that. I'm still using the same PS2 slim that I bought on the day the slim launched and it works like a charm. Every now and then load times will get longer then normal and a simple lens cleaning fixes it. This thing is literally over 12 years old and works the same as the day it was bought.

If there is a gen 1 PS3 that makes it 12 years without YLOD that person hit the lottery. In fact high chance you're buying a system that has already YLOD in the past and been repaired for it making the failure likely to happen even faster.

Not sure why having so many things hooked up to the TV matters, the PS2 and PS3 use completely different inputs so it's not like the PS2 is taking a HDMI slot...
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-01-27 at 04:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have a CECHE01 but I do have a CECHC03 which also has PS2 backwards compatibility and it never had a single problem running any PS2 games although it did get extremely hot, a friend also had one that burnt out the same day he bought it (new).
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

The lens is pretty fucking easy to clean, or even replace if necessary.

As far as overheating, PS2 slim overheating? LoL first I have ever heard of that. I'm still using the same PS2 slim that I bought on the day the slim launched and it works like a charm. Every now and then load times will get longer then normal and a simple lens cleaning fixes it.

Not sure why having so many things hooked up to the TV matters, the PS2 and PS3 use completely different inputs so it's not like the PS2 is taking a HDMI slot...
    Yep my old slim would overheat and shutdown after 10mins but it played dvds fine.

I am in a small aparment atm and I already got my ps3,ps4,pc and cable box all hooked to the same tv. Dont really have room for anything else.

Figured it is a decent deal thanks to the games. Also I am protected by ebay for abit if there is any problems.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    I don't have a CECHE01 but I do have a CECHC03 which also has PS2 backwards compatibility and it never had a single problem running any PS2 games although it did get extremely hot, a friend also had one that burnt out the same day he bought it (new).
    Cool. I think the difference in urs and the one im getting is urs is 100% hardwate emu while mine will be hrybrid.

I am in a small aparment atm and I already got my ps3,ps4,pc and cable box all hooked to the same tv. Dont really have room for anything else..
    Bro a PS2 Slim standing vertically literally takes up no space at all. You're talking about a device that is literally 1/6th the size of the PS4... Sorry if I find this notion a tad absurd. In fact a damn fat PS3 is likely to take up more space then a slim PS3 and Slim PS2 are combined.

Bro a PS2 Slim standing vertically literally takes up no space at all. You're talking about a device that is literally 1/6th the size of the PS4... Sorry if I find this notion a tad absurd. In fact a damn fat PS3 is likely to take up more space then a slim PS3 and Slim PS2 are combined.
    Well I dont have room for it or I would just hook up mine or my gfs. Kinda always wanted a bc ps3 anyway. Anyway this getting a abit off topic.

Edit: I have canceled the bid I had on the bc ps3 but I am interested in ur guys answer. I may just hook up my ps2 if need be. Going to need make some room If I do.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-01-27 at 05:13 AM.

I own a couple ps2's its just a pain in the ass to have so much crap hooked up to my tv. Also from personal experice i disagree about slim ps2's each one I had ether overheat or the lens quit working. I have in total owned around 12 ps2's.

I have read this model has the lease chance of overheating. Also I do got a slim ps2 i just want a two in one setup since both my ps2 and ps3 collecting is growing.

The price I am paying is $140 comes with 12 games two controllers and a bunch of extra hookup stuff.
    No way your getting a WORKING bc capable ps3 for 140. That shit is pure premium.

Yeah, I'm with the "just have a PS2 separately" crowd.

Also: don't the backwards compatible PS3s only work with certain titles? iirc, there's a "compatibility list" out there somewhere that tells you which PS2 games will work on a backwards compatible PS3, and even some of the ones in that list are a "yeah, it works, but you'll see weird shit like lines across your screen if you play it on a PS3" status.

I never have had any serious problems with my PS2, and I got mine pretty close to launch day. PS3s, however....I had to fix a yellow light of death on mine (I just did the old "bust it open and go over the motherboard with a heat gun" trick), and I've had to do the same for 3 of my friends (Sony just told them to fuck off, even though the systems were still under warranty).
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2016-01-27 at 03:45 PM.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I may just make room and hook up my ps2.

ps3 still workin since 2008. its now 2018

my ps3 lasted 10 years so far. it has 4 usb ports. originally had a 80gb hdd. i upgraded to a 500gb and still no problems. just as good as my fat ps2 which also still works

- - - Updated - - -

oh shoot i just realized this is a 2 year old thread. oh well