Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third

SWTOR is putting lockboxes inside of other lockboxes

Star Wars: The Old Republic apparently couldn’t stand to see RIFT hogging the business model drama spotlight today and has issued a new proclamation about the “Grand Packs” currently for sale on the game’s Cartel Market cash shop.
    http://massivelyop.com/2016/01/27/sw...her-lockboxes/

After February’s patch 4.1, the packs will have a chance to drop a Grand Chance Cube in place of one of the usual ridable or decorative drops. BioWare writes,

“Now you are asking, what is the Grand Chance Cube? Think of it as the ultimate Grand Pack. Inside a Grand Chance Cube you have a chance to receive any available Cartel Market Pack item, including from the current Pack. Also, the Grand Chance Cube acts as a Grand Pack in that if you open an Armor Lootbox, it will contain the entire armor set, not just a few pieces.

"This change allows us to place more emphasis on the Silver and Gold items in each pack, as we are no longer building new Bronze items. Now, in place of Bronze items you will receive a Grand Chance Cube. This Cube can contain the rarest of Cartel Market selections, giving you a second chance at highly-desired items.”
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Deleted
    People will still buy them regardless of new content in them
    I personally won't, due to the pure randomness of them
    Then all my coins tend to go on things I don't actually need or use, like pets, so maybe I should invest in them, hmmmm

As long as it doesn't contain any premium packages\items only obtainable with it, I see little wrong with it.

From what I gather - and I get mistaken often, so please do correct me if I'm wrong - this is yet another "Buy me and get a random already available bronze\silver\gold pack\item".

People who like chance within chance will purchase them.
    People who don't, well.. they won't.

From what I can tell, this is actually better. It's basically a chance to get another shot at the "gold" and "silver" tier items that are more rare in lieu of getting the extremely common and easy to buy off the GTN "bronze" items.

It initially looks/sounds strange/bad, but I actually see this as a positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    From what I can tell, this is actually better. It's basically a chance to get another shot at the "gold" and "silver" tier items that are more rare in lieu of getting the extremely common and easy to buy off the GTN "bronze" items.

It initially looks/sounds strange/bad, but I actually see this as a positive.
    Thats my thinking as well.

I think over all it's a positive change in comparison to the more recent change to packs and their limited drops.

However, my current problem with them is there just isn't enough frill in them for me to make it worth it. It's feels like a win big or go home gamble.

In the past there were quite a few frill items you could sell be it decos, weapons, crystals, regen items. I made back my money and more just off those items many times never having to worry to much about the more big ticket stuff. I hate that frill stuff so much more limited now.

A slightly better chance at winning big ticket items though. A chance to get another chance. It might work out but I've lost a fair amount of interest in them these days.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    A slightly better chance at winning big ticket items though. A chance to get another chance. It might work out but I've lost a fair amount of interest in them these days.
    I guess I don't really follow the suggestion/CM forums on the main website. What feedback was it they were trying to accommodate when they started making these changes back in October? Personally, the only problem I had with the packs pre-KotFE was the number of re-skins. Every change since KotFE has been for the worse. I never really bought packs with coins, but I did buy lots of them with credits. I can't even justify the credits now, because I know I probably won't even make half the money back.

Even just bringing out a new rep vendor with each shipment would go along ways for me. There was always 1 or 2 interesting things on there and the CM certs had a lot of value.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    "This change allows us to place more emphasis on the Silver and Gold items in each pack, as we are no longer building new Bronze items.
    Figures. Many bronze items -- whole sets, individual parts or their combinations -- actually look rather good. (And many gold sets look pretty shit.)

They are also the cheapest ones to unlock -- 60 cc per armor set.
    Last edited by mmocf7a456daa4; 2016-01-31 at 10:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's gonna be hard to resist this. There are too many damn things that I can't get because they were from cartel packs that are no longer sold. ._.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

meh my BH has the shae vizla set, dont really like any other sets in the game

Deleted
    Well, at least they were honest at the start that they would have worst f2p-model on the market (contrary to Rift), so doing stuff like this is more expected than disappointing.
    I never supported f2p-model for star wars, haven't played the game since back when it was p2p, will never do it (unless they lose some of their restrictions, which they wont) while Rift on the other hand had best f2p-model and a model you could support and recommend.

If you were fine with star wars f2p-model before this additions and were supporting it, this shouldn't be much to raise an eyebrown for. But sure, the more that boycott the game the better

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Well, at least they were honest at the start that they would have worst f2p-model on the market (contrary to Rift), so doing stuff like this is more expected than disappointing.
    I never supported f2p-model for star wars, haven't played the game since back when it was p2p, will never do it (unless they lose some of their restrictions, which they wont) while Rift on the other hand had best f2p-model and a model you could support and recommend.

If you were fine with star wars f2p-model before this additions and were supporting it, this shouldn't be much to raise an eyebrown for. But sure, the more that boycott the game the better
    Or you could just sub and get everything - the game's worth it in my opinion. Why should F2P players expect anything other than the bare bones of the game?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Davemetalhead View Post
    Or you could just sub and get everything - the game's worth it in my opinion. Why should F2P players expect anything other than the bare bones of the game?
    That's why they probably should have stayed with their p2p model instead of having a crappy f2p model. Their free trial when p2p was better as well, sure only lvl 15 but no restrictions on number of warfronts or anything like that.
    But like I said, if you already supported the f2p-model of the game, and paid company and so you shouldn't really be too surprised by this lockbox addition. I paid when it was p2p, but I haven't played or payed since it went f2p because I don't want to support the model they have.
    Last edited by mmocb8e9590de3; 2016-02-01 at 09:17 AM.

Deleted
    I will never, for the life of me, understand why someone who hasn't played the game in ages, moans about new features or additions to a game.
    You don't like it, fine, move along and leave the game to those that actually enjoy it and sub because they feel it's worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Treeba View Post
    I guess I don't really follow the suggestion/CM forums on the main website. What feedback was it they were trying to accommodate when they started making these changes back in October?
    Honestly I do not really know. I read that forum as well and I just don't recall any reason why the cartel parks were changed initially. Do do know that first change limited what you got to such a degree, sales dropped off so we knew another change was coming.

I know I don't fill like it's worth my money anymore to spend on them. I might buy a hypercrate with the new change and see how ti goes but so far I'm not sold on it what they are doing.

Personally, the only problem I had with the packs pre-KotFE was the number of re-skins. Every change since KotFE has been for the worse. I never really bought packs with coins, but I did buy lots of them with credits. I can't even justify the credits now, because I know I probably won't even make half the money back.
    Same here. I bought into it mainly with in game credits but what I liked was I was able to make back the credits spend and damn near everytime I made a lot more. I don't get that feeling with the last change nor this change coming. If it turns into another re-skin deal, it will be even worse.

I hope it's not as bad as I think it will be with how gold, silver and bronze boxes plays out. If all they do it take the bronze items and scatter them in gold and silver boxes. All thats really going to do is dilute your chance to get what was gold or silver. So far, I'm just not sold it's a good move for gamers yet. Business getting in the way of good gaming again is the way I'm leaning.

Even just bringing out a new rep vendor with each shipment would go along ways for me. There was always 1 or 2 interesting things on there and the CM certs had a lot of value.
    True. Sadly I think shipment rep venders are long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post

I pretty much always sub when I'm playing so the f2p model has barely effected me, except I assume it's the main reason that the place isn't a ghost-town. The cash-shop is basically a place I can get free goodies with the Cartel credits you get for subscribing.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't played rift in a while but I seem to read on forums that the F2P model is deteriorating a bit actually.
    In SWTOR i'm subbing so not too bothered with the F2P model here. But never bought any packages, might be interesting todo for a change

I bought one of the new packs; Got two chance cubes (instead of yknow, stuff from the pack), each with a bronze mount. Not a fan.

Deleted
    Yeah I had some spare credits and bought new packs too, as above, mostly chance cubes, which contained junk
    Got a couple of nice items, but items that were cheap on market to begin with, won't be buying again
    Unless they nerf the chance cubes that is

Bought a couple of hypercrates this time around and was pleased with what I have got. As mentioned earlier, the first pack that was released at 4.0 was a huge miss. That pack contained two items, one of them being a companion gift. Although it was advertised to have increased chance of rare item, the quantity put off many people, which resulted in them experimenting on the packs from then on.

This pack can provide good value for someone like me who have not got that many items from the previous packs, but I still believe this is way better than the pack that were in place before it. They could however make it so that atleast one of the two major items is a guaranteed new pack item, instead of Chance cube.

(Probably some luck, but I did get the lightsaber, rancor and the monobike mount from the new pack along with darth skotia & Exiled Knight armor and partial gold armor set pieces from the new pack from the 2 hypercrates I bought, not counting the loads of bronze and silver items from chance cubes.)

Quote Originally Posted by karumayu View Post

(Probably some luck, but I did get the lightsaber, rancor and the monobike mount from the new pack along with darth skotia & Exiled Knight armor and partial gold armor set pieces from the new pack from the 2 hypercrates I bought, not counting the loads of bronze and silver items from chance cubes.)
    That's not some luck, that's extreme luck. You basically won a SWTOR lottery. But that would probably explain why you're one of the few I've seen so far who likes the new system.

I do think the cubes are a good idea, but they should never be both of the 2 items in a pack. They probably shouldn't even be 1 most of the time.