Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Parallel universes

Do you believe in parallel universes? I personally do.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Would be interesting if true. It means in one universe, I am banging Natalie Portman.

Is the Super Mario 64 Shitposting spreading here too or is this an actual thread?

We have no evidence, so no, they don't

15+ Year Old Account
    They're pure speculation, we can't really say either way.

Personally, no. At least not in the way they're often presented (everything that could happen, happens).

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    There is some mathematical evidence that shows they may exist, but I do not know if they do. Would be pretty interesting though.
    If you knew whether they did or did not, you'd be famous for your research.
    Jes' sayin'.

I don't know, I don't believe the idea myself entirely ..
    but there's alotta stories out there about weird circumstances where people "appeared in our world" with memories of our world going in a vastly different direction -- but honestly, those stories are also all online and if they're online .. sadly, how much can you really believe them?

If those stories were true, and could be confirmed. Some of them are really interesting but with how many hoaxes there are on the internet, I can't take them as anything more than entertaining concepts.

Still, if someone could confirm some of them were true? I'd give it more thought.

Like the dude who showed up in Japan, at the airport, claiming he was from a non-existent country but had a passport and everything, that was supposedly 100% authentic. If that story is true, that'd be some proof in favor of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a fun idea but no real evidence that this exists.

Deleted
    I find a multiverse (multiple different realities/universes can exist at once) more likely/believable then parallel universes (multiple, though ussualy infinite, versions of the same thing existing simultaneously).

If there is a theory that treats parallel universes similar to superpositions in quantum mechanics, i could probably get into that.

10+ Year Old Account
    They make sense in physics, they'd explain why our universe is "just right" for life to form. Nudge certain variables just a tad, like the strength of dark energy or the Higgs Field, and our universe changes drastically to the point even matter cannot exist. So why does our universe have the right conditions for matter and life to form? Simple: there are many, perhaps infinitely many, universes all with every possible law of physics and values for constants. Naturally, we'd only form in the ones that are right for us to form in.

Brian Green makes better sense of it:

But of course, there's no confirmation any other universe actually exists so it's all speculation at this point. But it makes sense.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    I'm open to possibilities, but so far there's not a shred of proof of parallel universes existing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    They make sense in physics, they'd explain why our universe is "just right" for life to form. Nudge certain variables just a tad, like the strength of dark energy or the Higgs Field, and our universe changes drastically to the point even matter cannot exist. So why does our universe have the right conditions for matter and life to form? Simple: there are many, perhaps infinitely many, universes all with every possible law of physics and values for constants. Naturally, we'd only form in the ones that are right for us to form in.

Brian Green makes better sense of it:

But of course, there's no confirmation any other universe actually exists so it's all speculation at this point. But it makes sense.
    that's what i meant with multiverse: big bangs happen all the time and new universes begin and end all the time. Some big bangs are bigger then others. Some suit life some dont, they all have different starting conditions and laws of physics. Each universe is independent of others.

I think the general idea behind parallel universes is more like: the starting conditions for all universes are the same, same laws of physics, same size, same amount of energy, but trough random chance they grow apart over time.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-01-27 at 05:02 AM.

Like others have said, largely speculation. That being said. i have mixed feelings on even it's concept.

We often in fiction like to portray parallel universes/timelines as nearly the exact same, but tue truth is millions if not billions of factors go into how we are in the present.

Of course I have limited knowledge on this subject, I largely agree with Connal and Revi

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    Is the Super Mario 64 Shitposting spreading here too or is this an actual thread?

LOL... So things come into existence when we start to find evidence on them...

Apparently they are trying to use parallel universes to get quantum computers to work. Don't know if the speaker is FOS or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqN_2jDVbOU
    Last edited by Solarflash; 2016-01-27 at 05:19 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarflash View Post
    LOL... So things come into existence when we start to find evidence on them...

Apparently they are trying to use parallel universes to get quantum computers to work. Don't know if the speaker is FOS or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqN_2jDVbOU
    Seems to me he is just trying to explain superpositions to a layman's audience so i wouldn't take it to literal.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    They're pure speculation, we can't really say either way.

Personally, no. At least not in the way they're often presented (everything that could happen, happens).
    Yeah I think that's pretty bs. You're telling me there is a parallel universe where I do AND don't pick my nose after hitting submit and then somehow it splits and possibly again depending upon if I choose to fling it at the closest person to me? NO WAI

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Would be interesting if true. It means in one universe, I am banging Natalie Portman.
    If there's infinite universes, you're always banging Natalie Portman, and at the same time, you're never banging Natalie Portman.
    Your powers are useless on me you silly billy...

7+ Year Old Account
    So wait, if parallel universes do exist then that would mean that a parallel version of me would not be posting? *mind blown*

I think that they do not exist but that's just me

Deleted
    To be honest no I don't believe it just because human mind figured that out. It might be more complicated than people could ever imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post

That's not how it works though, define evidence, what do you consider to be evidence, does everyone agree with your definition of evidence? If you can answer all of these and the final answer with a yes, then you can say that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    Yeah I think that's pretty bs. You're telling me there is a parallel universe where I do AND don't pick my nose after hitting submit and then somehow it splits and possibly again depending upon if I choose to fling it at the closest person to me? NO WAI
    You might feel that way because the concept of what infinite means doesn't make sense to you.

Deleted
    The universe is a probabilistic simulator which renders reality according to known information.

If we are living in a simulation like the Matrix or a futuristic version of SimCity, then there is no reason there aren't other simulations running in parallel, or even trillions of simulations. This would be something a race advanced a thousand years could do. They would create these simulations to study alternate timelines of history or whatever. I'm just pulling this out of my butt.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland